Poor Pauper

J and the Ogre Princess

Jiyong rolled around his bed before kicking his feet up in the air! Damn it!! What if that did happen? What would I do? He wondered in despair. The scenario in his head completely disturbing. Seunghyun had cut the line off as soon as he heard Chae Rin’s voice.... and he thought – what if? What if it happened the way he had imagined it? Ri secretly being in love with his bestfriend, a rich kingka dating her, and him – poor, unemployed 17  year old and almost graduating Jiyong on the other side. What stand did he have?

 

His bed continued to creak as he hit it over and over, another scenario starting to play out in his head. And if she stopped loving him? How was that even possible. It wasn’t, wasn’t it?? Ah, damn it, he cursed, replaying the scene in his head – that ugly rich boy looking at her so dearly, his brother not rising to defend him....

 

And then, he paused. Why was he even thinking about this? Why, it was ridiculous, of course! But plausible. Completely plausible, his heart told his mind.

 

A forceful knock made him jump up the bed as the angry head of his father peeked through his door.

 

“What are you doing, boy?” the man hissed in aggravation, his eyes tired from lack of sleep. “You better not be ing  your bed or I swear-“

 

“NO!” Jiyong screamed and shook his head, nay, is whole body in denial of such an act.

 

“I WILL end you if you are.”

 

“Appa, listen! I’m not, jeesh.”

 

“Then shut it up. It’s 2 in the morning, its a weekend, and I can’t even rest pro-“

 

“I need help.”

 

“Are you dying??”

 

“No.”

 

“Then you don’t need help.”

 

“Then yes, I’m dying!” Jiyong said, exasperated before hugging a pillow tightly. What was he doing, waking the whole house in the middle of the night based on mere imaginary situations???

 

“You’re worse than your brother,” his dad mumbled before finally coming inside.

 

“Shut the door!”

 

“Why?”

 

“Eomma.”

 

“Oh, right.” the older man nodded before doing so and heading to sit on the edge of the bed sleepily.”So what’s wrong?”

 

“Chae Rin...”

 

“So this was about her? Are you serious?!”

 

“You said you’d kick my if I hurt her!”

 

“And I still stand by those words.”

 

“Well, its too late, I guess. I keep doing that and I have no idea why. Or how I can stop, and I just feel so...”

 

“You like her.”

 

“What?!”

 

“You like her.”

 

“No! Appa, you must be misunderstan-“

 

“You. Like. Her.”

 

“Honestly, I’m not joking. Will you stop th-“

 

“Listen to me, kid. It’s 2 in the morning. You asked for my help? I gave it to you. Take it or leave it, I don’t care. Now if I hear one more noise coming from this room besides snoring, I will ship you to the army in the middle of the school year, do you understand?”

 

“But appa! I’m not even 18 yet. I can’t go that early.”

 

“Really? You’re focusing more on the army than what I just told you before that?”

 

“But- I honestly don’t!”

 

“Believe whatever you want, kid. You’re really as daft as your mother.”

 

“I am not daft!”

 

“Ask yourself this – if you didn’t, why are you still awake? Why, for the past few weeks, have you been agitated everytime she’d ignore you or wasn’t here  for dinner? Why do you frown when you hear that Jaebeom kid’s name?”

 

“She’s my childhood friend, no one likes being ignored and guys are dangerous. Simple!”

 

“You’re an idiot.”

 

“Appa!!” Jiyong begged and groaned loudly. His father was being ridiculous, surely. He’d know if he liked someone. He’s had girlfriends in the past, and this was not it... right?

 

“Think about it. Quietly.” And without another word, the older man walked out of his son’s bedroom door, heading back to slumber and peace, while leaving the other in an even worse state.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s notes: Yes. Last chapter is merely Jiyong’s imagination. DO NOT BE MAD. i just felt that its not only girls who freak out over the small things, or replay conversations or make up worst-case scenarios. I wanted to portray a guy does that too.