The Tale of Shrek

J and the Ogre Princess

Summer was nearly at its end, yet the two families were abuzzed even more so than ever. It was two days before Jiyong’s birthday, and Chae Rin, for one, was more frantic than ever. She had spent the last two weeks looking through every store, trying to find things that felt... right for him, but there was  never a right fit. She was at her wit’s ends when Ri just suggested something she had dreaded to hear.

 

“Why don’t you start buying stuff for hyung when he goes to the army?”

 

“Don’t you dare...” she warned him, her heart sinking to the ground. Going to the army meant a minimum of 21 months to three years gone. And the less time he would serve, the more risks the job had.

 

“I mean, he’s 18 soon, so when is he really going to go? I mean I have to go, too.”

 

“Lalalalalalaalal~ Not hearing whatever you just said.”She sang, covering her ears while they walked home, passing by the park. “Hey, go ahead.” she mumbled, eyeing the swings.

 

“You know he has to go, right? It’s better than being charged with treason or something.”

 

“I know, I know.. Just stop, please,” she said before walking away from her friend. Chae Rin slid her hands inside her pockets as she thought... Two years, she wondered how it would be like without him. Without seeing him for breakfast, or dinner, without stealing glances at him at school or during lunch. A world without him. Simply, it terrified her, yet the in the back of her mind, she did wonder if it would help her, get rid of all her feelings, make her forget. Two years was a long time.Yet she knew that was a selfish thought, and so, she let go of it and went back into thinking of the perfect gift for him.

 

What would be the perfect gift for those two years he would be away from us? she thought before rummaging through her bag to find her note when she saw her journal... A journal. Wouldnt that be great? A journal full of letters, memories, little notes and pictures tucked in there. She knew they could still send letters.. but wouldnt a journal be better? He can read one, for everyday of the  year he would be gone. She would start the journal now. And the letters, and the package she would eventually send him. It was a brilliant idea, she thought. Through it, there was no way he was ever going to forget her and the family that would be waiting for him to return.

 

Ah! But what was she supposed to do for his birthday? She had no clue... unless...?

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

That night, the Kwon’s house was filled with much laughter and noise, singing, and most importantly, an endless stream of food. The two mothers had outdone themselves, while the fathers continued to barbecue and drink. Meanwhile, Jiyong’s friends all came over, and it was even louder than before. Having turned 18, their parents had allowed them to drink, making the usually boisterous boys relatively louder than before.

 

Making a face at Junsu, Chae Rin frowned when the drunk teenager sent her a flying kiss, resulting in Woobin hitting the weirdo in the head.

 

“What the hell was that for?”

 

“Stop hitting on kids, you ert.”

 

“Who’s hititng on kids?” Jiyong asked, walking in with a new set of berbecued pork and chicken, the rest of the boys immediately taking sticks in each hands.

 

“Junsu.”

 

“With who?”

 

“Chae Rin.”

 

“You little sh-“

 

“Hey, hey, Ji. Calm down. No one’s hitting on your little sis.” JiO said, wrapping an arm around his friend while chuckling. Meanwhile, Chae Rin pursed her lips and sadly smiled. Even to Jiyong’s closest friends, she was known as the little sister. But of course, she was. She knew that already, then why was she even more bothered now?

 

Slinking away, she went outside to sit on the front porch, the night already fallen in their neighborhood. The boys, she knew, would probably be sleeping over, meaning she would have had to help clean up tonight and for tomorrow’s breakfast. Yawning, she hugged her knees and looked up at the sky. No clouds were in sight, yet the moon was bright and clear. Full.

 

“Whatcha doing out here?” Jiyong said, the plate empty in his hand. The boy sat beside her and watched her before pouting a little. “Before you answer that.. Hunchae, where is my gift, huh?”

 

“Here.” She squeaked, sliding her hand inside her pocket and taking out a small box. Chae Rin then placed it on his lap before quickly looking away, a blush attempting to make its way to her cheeks. Why did he have to sit so close to her?

 

“Ooohh~ I wonder what this is,” he joked, excitedly opening the box. Upon seeing it, he saw a single silver ring, thick banded. It was simple, but somehow, he loved it. Grinning foolishly, he glanced at her and raised a brow. “Are you asking me to marry you? Because if so, my answer is-“

 

“LALALALALALA LALALALALALALALA. STOP TALKING~” she sang really loudly and covered her ears, her eyes wide with disbelief, fear and excitement. She could feel her skin flush from his words, her imagination running a hundred miles a minute as she quietly wondered what he would have answered. But fear overcame her curiosity.

 

“Okay!” He laughed, shaking his head and playing with the silver band. “I won’t tease you. Thank you, by the way,” he said, smiling and giving her a quick hug that  made the dear  princess yelp.

 

“Whoo-hooop~”  Junsu whistled from the side of the house, whooping before being shut down by Woobin and Jiyong’s other friends, making Chae Rin laugh a little.

 

“He’s an idiot,” Her prince nodded solemnly before sighing. “I know, I know.”

 

“And yet, you are friends with him. Why is that, your majesty?” She mused, a smile upon her lips. Jiyong looked at her and continued the act, not wanting the seemingly light conversation to end.
 

“I know not, my dear Princess. It seems that I am friends with many fools, though I’ll have it no other way.”

 

“Sadly, I can’t pretend not to understand. Fools have a certain.. charm in being friends.”

 

“You talking about my brother or that kid??” He frowned, dropping the cheerful tone at the memory of Jaebeom.

 

“Both,” she laughed and looked forward, resting her chin on her knees. “But you have more.”

 

“I do, but none of them are trying to get into my pants,” he said, wagging his finger naggingly at her.

 

“No one is trying to get into my pants!” She said, a furious blush invadin her cheeks making Jiyong smile.  

 

“Alright, alright. I was just kidding,” He chuckled before putting on the ring. “Thank you. Must have cost you... I’ll make sure that on your birthday, I’ll get you something good.”

 

“It doesn’t matter what it costs. ...Just.. come back alive, okay?”

 

“What? Why wouldn’t I come back alive?”

 

“You’re leaving then.. right? After graduation... Are you even going to be here for my birthday?”

 

“Please! I can postpone enlistment for a few weeks. I think.Hopefully. Plus, don’t worry so much, Chae-chae,” Jiyong said, his eyes softening as he looked at her. He reached out, primarily to touch her cheeks but changed halfway and ruffled her hair instead, making her pout. And yet, he noticed that she didn’t move away from his touch.

 

“Really?” She said in a low voice and looked at him, wondering if six months would be as long as she wished it to be. But that was never the case, wasn’t it? The more you dread for something to come, the faster it always seemed to.

 

“Really. Now will you stop moping about? Join us there. On another note, stay away from Junsu.”

 

“Alright,” she smiled and then looked at him. “What’s up with him anyway?”

 

“I think he’s jealous of me.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Coz I’m hella handsome, that’s why.” he joked, winking at her.

 

“Didn’t I tell you to not do that?” She said, pouting before leaning over to squish his cheeks. “Bad oppa!” she said, unable to control herself from reaching out to him. Asimple touch, something she had always imagined doing, something that, even now, made her heart beaet faster, yet it came so naturally, she never even thought of it.

 

He, on the other hand, paused at the contact, feeling his heart skip a beat. Jiyong merely nodded, pursing his lips and trying to think of why he would feel that way. He shouldn’t have felt it to begin with. She was family. And so he moved away from her touch, looking forward instead of by his side.

 

“Sorry.” She mumbled, frowning at his expression. “Did I hurt you?”

 

“Ani. Just taken a back. You’ve never been touchy, you know?”

 

“I know,” she smiled and nodded. “I guess it’s the full moon. I blame it, the Fiora in me is coming out.”

 

Jiyong laughed, though a bit nervous at the irregular beating of his heart.  “So does that make me Shrek?”

 

“I think it makes youKing Farquaad.”

 

“So you think I want to marry you?”

 

“You know, I was talking more about the fact that you’re skinny and short.” She joked, making his head snap towards her.

 

“You little –“ he mumbled before tackle hugging her, making her laugh loudly. For a moment, he forgot who she was, who their family is, how they grew up together, and he tickled her and touched her without reserve. The two laughed loudly, her trying, but not completely, to pry away from his arms.

 

“Were  you going to call me a little ddong?”

 

“Yes, you poopyhead!” he said, tightening his grip around her, hugging her in silence.

 

At that moment, she barely cared who she was, and how she looked like. And how, probably, her double chin was showing, or how plumpy she is.

 

“Yah, Chae-chae?”

 

“Eung?”

 

“Who’s your Shrek then?” Jiyong asked, his throat dry while his whole body froze in place, arms refusing to let go as he waited for her answer.

 

“Rationally speaking, Donkey is definitely your brother. He’s very annoying and he has a big .” Chae RIn said, nodding her head cutely before grinning. “You have to admit, it makes the most sense.”

 

“Yah, i already knew that my brother is Donkey from a long time ago. I’m asking about Shrek. Rationally speaking.”

 

“You know, there’s really nothing rational abou-“

 

“Just tell me.”

 

“Hm...” She said, her arms falling down as she thought, before answering quietly. “Probably.. Jaebeom.  He’s the only one foolish enough to think that ogres are beautiful.”

 

 “Oh.” Jiyong said, finally loosening her grip. Shrek and Fiona, what a disappointing couple, he thought.

 

“Can’t Jaebeom be Charming instead? I mean, the way he acts, it warrants for him to be like that to begin with,” he mumbled and bit his lips.

 

“You know... you have a point. That is totally more believable than him being Shrek.” she said, smiling and nodding before looking up at him and finally realizing his face was mere inches away. “O-oppa.. Ahm...” she whispered, her heart racing rapidly at the coming of her awareness... that only if she leaned forward, she could kiss him.

 

“What?”

 

“Y-you’re giving me a heart attack,” she breathed out before turning her head away and clutched her poor heart.

 

“O-oh... I’m sorry... But..”

 

And before she knew it, she felt a faint brush upon her cheeks, making her look immediately at him, her eyes wide with disbelief. Instinctively, Chae RIn brought a hand to her cheeks, touching the spot he had kissed.

 

“I ain’t letting some poor kid-“

 

“He’s rich,” she mumbled, automatically correcting him, thought she didn’t mean to.

 

“Urhg, you know what I mean. I.... I’m not letting some idiot kid be your Shrek, okay? They’d have to go through me and hell then back before some idiot goes near you, okay?And yes, I said idiot twice.” Jiyong stumbled upon his words, his own cheeks red, making him cover them quickly. “So.. uh, yeah. Thanks for the birthday gift.” He said, his voice lacking emotion, though really, inside, he was as confused as a dazed child inside a carnival. So many emotions, feelings, images, voices and thoughts all bouncing about in his mind.

 

“O-okay...” she squeaked in a small voice, gulping air. The princess could barely breathe, her eyes watery. She didn’t know what just happened and whether  to believe that it actually did. Quite frankly, him and her refused to process it for a second, still, it was evident for they could still feel the spot that was touched. For him, his lips, and for her, her rosy cheeks, tingling from the lingering sensation.

 

“Goodnight, Chae-Chae,” Jiyong mumbled, immediately standing up and walking away, forcing what ridiculous, or so he called them, thoughts and feelings that filled him away.

 

Only this time, he didn’t think it was possible.

 

 

Author’s Notes:

This was like...2 chapters worth, so I’m not updating for a week. SQUEAL. I might or might not be nearly done. It definitely feels more than 60%. CRY WITH ME. coz i really enjoyed writing this light hearted fic. Please upvote, comment and subscribe loves. please do