The Belief in Fading

J and the Ogre Princess

 Jiyong jumped on his bed, his back crashing against the mattress. He was dead tired from all the thinking. How was he supposed to remember all those dates and generals when he could barely remember who handed him a toast this morning on the way to school? It was hopeless. And then, there was his distraction, her, the beautiful noona who all day long, he stole glances at. And yet, at the back of his head, he couldn't stop thinking of a hint of pink. Something that reminded him of carnations or the early presets of cherry blossoms when they haven't fully turned pink just yet. He laid there for a few minutes before flipping on his stomach and reaching for his phone.

 

No texts.

 

Maybe he should annoy someone?  JiO? But the man was probably at his part time, Junsu busy sleeping and Woobin would just glare at him if Jiyong took him away from his games. But he needed to get outside. Just walk aimlessly. And that was exactly what he was going to do. Putting on sweatpants and a light jacket, Jiyong jogged out of his house, passing his brother who was, by the looks of it, nearly ready to pull his hair out from reading something. At least it wasn't just Jiyong who was frustrated with school. Chuckling at the sight, he went onwards, retracing the steps he took. And it seemed like it was only yesterday when he saw her walking in front of him.

 

But wait.. Wasn't that her?

 

And an immense feeling of deja vu hit him. What if he had only dreamed that? No, that was impossible right? But let's just say what if, would he say different things instead? What else could he have done when she had confessed to him...

 

 I would... I w-would.. his train of thought was broken when he saw her look up, her hair, with flecks of brown from the sunlight, flickering as she looked back to him. His Hunchae smiled before stopping in her tracks while waiting for him to catch up to her.

 

"Are you going to the park too, oppa?" She asked before looking down, the image of him making her poor heart race. But she promised herself to stay calm, and so calm she would be.

 

He watched her bite her lips and clench her fist, before looking back up at him. She continued, "I was going to go to the mart before and buy some snacks.  D-do you uh.." Chae RIn blushed furiously and quickly covered her cheeks with her hands, her voice shaky, "Wanna come with? I can treat you to your favorite. That pistachio ice cream."

 

A soft chuckle escaped Jiyong's lips while he jogged towards her side, his hands sliding themselves in his pockets. He walked beside her and flashed her a grin. "Sure thing, Hunchae. Though shouldn't I be the one treating you?"

 

She eyed him up and down, an eyebrow raising, "And did uri oppa even bring his wallet?"

 

"Ah.. Ah.." he stammered as he stopped, feeling all his pockets and hugging himself. "Nope.. Wait! What if I did, but I was robbed here.. Somehow?"

 

She laughed and shook her head, crossing her arms, pretending to be stern with him. "By an invisible man?"

 

"Yes! A ghost!" Jiyong joked, looking around and pretending to be scared. "Ah jinjja museoweo," he shivered, making both of them crack up in laughter.

 

It was amazing how the two who barely talked the past few years spent their whole walk towards the mart talking and talking about absolutely nothing. Upon  going in, Jiyong saw her glance towards the seats by the glass window - a flash of sombre expression upon her face.

 

He knew what it was and he felt sorry, his heart clenching  upon the sadness he viewed on her. Admittedly, for the most part that she went missing, Jiyong would feel a wave of disappointment coming over him, but now...

 

"Oppa, here!" Without noticing it, Chae Rin had already paid for their snacks and was ready to leave. "Are you alright?" she mused, a look of worry upon her face.

 

"Yeah, I'm okay. Mian. I'm such a scatter brain," he chuckled, playing it off. Still, in her heart, she doubted it. Was he sad again? Because she wasn't here?

 

 

Biting her lips, the princess merely nodded and started to walk off, the prince following right after. "Ah, here, oppa. I'll go ahead, okay?" she mumbled before reaching out a hand inside the plastic bag to take his ice cream and give it to him.

 

"And where do you think you're going?"

 

"Just.. you know, here and there," she mumbled before relenting and pointing at the park.

 

"Why do you always go there?" he said, refusing to take the treat. If he did, she would leave, right? He knew she was agitated, anxious to get away from him. But why...

 

"I like being alone."

 

"No one likes being alone, Hunchae."

 

"You miss her, don't you?"

 

"Not really," he said, the statement surprising him, too, with the truth.

 

"Really?" Her voice sounded hopeful, yet it was the kind of hope she knew could crack with the slightest wind.

 

"Yes, really." He smiled, and somehow, that was enough. "Now are you still ditching me or do you mind if I come?"

 

"Ani.. it's okay if you do," the girl flashed the boy a shy smile before looking forward, avoiding his gaze. There was a tiny bit of wonder in the silence that laid between them, and although in years past, it would have been heavy, this time it felt comforting. Like home. For there were no words that could have described her relief with his answer. He didn't miss her. And the thought was a blessing in itself.

 

"Do you still like me?" Though she was sure it was his voice she heard, she wanted to doubt it for the question rendered her breathless. Looking at him in shock, Chaerin felt drop. How? What? How could she possibly answer it so straightforward? Before words even came to her mind, her body responded when her head nodded.

 

"Thought so," he said before flashing her a grin. "It's okay. Cheer up!"

 

She laughed.. "Are you trying to encourage me or stop me? This is very confusing, you know." And it was, for her heart beat rapidly against the cages that held it. Happiness, nervousness, giddiness and a thousand other feelings she had no words for. Still, she was sure, at that moment, that she felt warmth.

 

"I don't know either," he laughed, nervousness and relief spilling over the wondrous sound.

 

"You weirdo!" She grinned, lightly hitting his arm.

 

And though he couldn't explain why to himself, he was glad she felt what she felt for him. "I mean, I'm neutral. It's not like I uh, can control things, you know? And telling you to stop would be mean and just stupid and and..."

 

He stammered, his words lost. What exactly did he mean, he wondered himself.

 

"I understand. You don't have to make me feel worse," she joked around, smiling. "It'll go away someday."

 

"But today is not that day!"  He raised his arms with a solemn expression rendering that of....

 

"The King doth protest too much, methinks”