The Silence Between Friends

J and the Ogre Princess

Ow. Seunghyun thought when he felt something reach for his hand. If it wasn't for the years of them knowing each other, he would have yelped. Still, he knew his silence was all that was keeping her together. That was always the case with her. She always appeared strong, and when she couldn't, she would reach for his hand and grip on it tight. It had been the case since they were kids, though it wasn't his hands she held onto. It was his hyung's. When it gradually changed, he hated it and feared it. She does have a death-grip that beats that of a bear. Probably. But now, he was accustomed to it.

 

Ri glanced at his friend with a worried expression, yet the smile on her face was... confusing. He knew she was probably really worried, although her smile spoke  genuinely. What exactly is going on?

 

His brother, too, must have been surprise at her sudden words. She talked with him, but never looked at him quite that directly. "Well, she said she was going to be our TA this spring. Speaking of spring, Hunchae, you guys are joining me in high school, right?" He saw his hyung  change the subject, a bit uncomfortably.

 

"Yeah!" She piped up, rubbing her hands together. "I was hoping maybe all of us can hang out like before. Though I hope we won't embarrass you too much."

 

|"Are you kidding?" Jiyong let out a laugh as he shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. "My friends are embarrassing enough. I hope they don't scare you two off."

 

"Three, actually," Seunghyun said and silently gave his friend's hands a gentle squeeze. It was all he could do for her. Despite their seemingly hostile banter, they were closer than anyone he had ever known. There was a silent agreement that laid between their friendship:  the day he stops annoying her was the day that she stops hitting him. Give and take, really.

 

 

"Three?" Jiyong frowned, his eyes glancing on their hands together. A twinge ignored. Was she gripping on it tightly?

 

"Yeah. Seung and Jaebeom are now friends, so he's joining us." She gave him a curt smile before looking away, her expression blank. Jiyong looked at their hands again and saw her gripping on his little brother's tightly. What's wrong? Are you okay, Hunchae?

 

"Ah, so does that mean you two are dating?"

 

"Mw-mweorago? What did you say? Oh my goodness, no!" He watched her shake her head, her hands finally letting go of Ri's as she shook both of them in front of her.

 

"Eish... Is Hunchae lying to me?" The Prince smirked, a chuckle escaping his lips. She really couldn't help it,, the way the real her would come out every time she was embarrassed.

 

"When have I EVER lied to oppa?" A small pout upon her pink lips.

 

A lot. He thought. Every time she was sad, or blushed, or any sort of probing he used to do back when they were still close.

 

"Arasseo," he smiled and went towards them, picking up a shrimp before sitting on his brother's lap. "Riri-ya~ hold my hand too~" He purred, surprising both his brother and Hunchae. Aigo, these kids are so easy to make fun of.

 

Hand holding.. Was that why their parents wanted the two to get together? Jiyong shrugged to himself while his younger brother struggled to get out of his weight.

 

"Hyuuuuuuuunggggg. You're so heavy! Get off!"

 

 

 

 

[Was I too obvious?]

 

Seunghyun reached for his phone, looking at the text. [Ani. But it was weird]

 

[Why was it weird?]

 

[You dont usually talk to hyung that much]

 

[But what if I want to start? Would you help me?]

 

It wasn't that he was complaining, but Seunghyun was perplexed at all the sudden changes that seemed to be happening around him. They were graduating, getting older a year more, but it seemed to him that everything was becoming different. First, the addition of his enemy as a friend. Supposedly. I still have to make sure he doesn't try to kill me. he thought grudgingly.

 

[Sure. But why Jaebeom?]

 

[I was talking about your brother, you idiot!]

\

Ri barely read the text when his phone rang. Answering it, her voice ran from the other side.

 

"You idiot! Why would you even think I like Jaebeom? Did Jingyo oppa hear you? Aigoooooooo"

 

Seunghyun laughed and shook his head. "Yah, Gijibe, don't worry. Hyung's in his room, last I checked. Trying to text that noona he met.

 

"Oh."

 

A single word was uttered and he knew then that her mood had taken for the worse.  

 

"Alright, here's the deal, Ogre Princess. I'll find out about this noona, in exchange for those fried shrimps. I know you helped eomma make them."

 

Of course, the young  man would make his deal with food. But neither he nor she knew, what they really felt. For being young was such a confusing state, an unsure time. Ever changing and ever growing. Ever moving and ever stopping. And lastly, of course, the worst folly of all - ever-falling. 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Please upvote and share <3 thank you loves.