Pieces

J and the Ogre Princess

Maybe it wasn't that bad, the detours that happen amongst the lives of humans, for the princess now had three to talk to. Though it wasn't quite the ending she had always dreamed of, her friendship with the prince bloomed wonderfully. A simple act of letting go of her fears had worked wonders to her, and in no time, she found herself spending more and more time being herself. The change was not lost amongst those who looked over them, for the kings and queens of both houses took notice. They couldn't hide it in their smile when they saw her finally opening up, though it did surprise them time and time again, the way she would talk.

 

"Eomma~ I feel sick. I barely slept last night," Seunghyun sighed, his voice, low when he was trying to fake a cough. "I think I'm sick." He pouted.

 

"And why is my baby feeling sick?" Though she knew it was a lie, Jihyo adored playing along with her youngest, his jokes almost as bad as her husband's.

 

"I couldn't sleep last night because, alas -" he said as he clutched his heart, his food laid untouched in front of him.

 

"Don't even pretend to be lovesick, you fool. It's because you took a nap last afternoon."

 

The voice came from their usually quiet Chae-Chae, the nickname had stuck amongst the whole family. Jiyong snickered, almost choking on his rice. Jihyo watched in amazement as Ahra's Chae-Chae quickly poured her young man a drink and gave it to him. Oh-hoh. What is happening over here? She mused, her eyes catching that of her friend's.

 

"Fool? What are you, a disney villain?"

 

"Yeah. And you're donkey. Actually, I like donkey. You can be that.. uh" The two mothers watched their children in awe.

 

"Those bugs that Timon and Pumba eat." Jiyong piped, now grinning deviously. The two looked at each other before cracking up, silently shaking their head at Seunghyun who looked defeated. "HOW is this fair? HOW?"

 

Neither Ahra nor Jihyo knew what was happening, but the change of energy between the two kingdoms would, in time, bring change to all their lives.

 

 

 

 

"Hunchae-ya! Wait up," A prince called out to her, making her turn around and smile. It was almost reflex, something that she knew she should fight but didn't want to. The Ogre Princess had admitted that the one she had been pining for had always been a prince - he was just never hers. And once she accepted the fact, she was able to stand up. Yes, the bitter truth hurt her heart, but what made up for it were his smiles and their friendship. Even in her opinion, Jaebeom, who recently became one of her confidantes (aka friend), didn't hate Jiyong as much anymore. But then again, maybe she was wrong.

 

"It's not my fault he moves so slowly," The said man grumbled.

 

"Well, no one told you to walk with us, anyway," Seunghyun piped and nudged the other kid. Oddly enough, the two had become unseparable. With their constant bickering, it seemed to her that they understood each other completely and had taken a similar type of friendship that she had with Seunghyun.

 

"Ne, oppa~" she said, pausing in her tracks and pulling back the other two with the straps of their bags as she watched Jiyong hurry towards them, a toast in his mouth.

 

"Thanks, Hunchae-ya. You're the best." he grinned after taking the toast from his mouth and wrapping an arm around his brother. "You behave, okay? And you, why are you so grumpy in the morning?"

 

"YOUR FACE."

 

"PARK JAEBEOM!" Chae Rin screamed at him, frowning before taking his hand and dragging him away. How dare he be mean to her pri- to Jiyong! "What's wrong with you?" She asked, anger rising from her chest. It was the first day of them officially being in highschool and she had been looking forward to this day as much as she had been looking forward to his birthday, Though she hasn't completely mastered it, with the help of her dear mother, she packed all of them lunch and such meanness shall not hinder her plans.

 

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with him?! Doesn't he have his own friends? Why is he walking with us?"

 

"I could say as much about you, but I'm not. And he isn't either!" She crossed her arms, her cheeks reddening from anger. Never was she able to when it involved him. Somehow, despite her resolve, her emotions always get the best of her.

 

"Princess," She watched Jaebeom's eyes soften. Why, she began to wonder, had he always looked at her that way. Exasperation, and he acted as if he would give up things just to appease her.

 

Chae Rin sighed and closed her eyes, shaking her head clear. She could not afford to let herself be distracted.  "Okay, I'm sorry for screaming at you. But please, please be nice to oppa. He's never done you wrong!"

 

"Yes, he has!" Jaebeom insisted, his eyes determined.

 

"Really? You guys met barely a month ago. What exactly has he done wrong?"

 

"He exists!" Jaebeom frowned and huffed and stomped, the actions reminding her of something she would have said, or perhaps have said to Ri. But it wasn't Ri's case, this was Jiyong's... And if his existence was so wrong....

 

"Please leave, right now." To her surprise, her voice came up cold.

 

"Hunchae, it's okay. Really. I think he means well," Jiyong's voice rang in her ears as her eyes bore into Jay's - sad ones, hurt ones. She did this. For him. And it was wrong. But she only tried to make things right. Yet how come nothing ever worked properly for her?

 

Sighing, she reached out to touch Jaebeom's hands, "Mianhae. Please don't be mean to oppa. See? He's defending you from me already. More so than his own brother."

 

The simple touch rendered a frown on the dear prince's face. And though it went unnoticed for the most part, his little brother  saw it. Was it really there or had Seunghyun imagined it for a second?

 

"She's only mad because she made all of us lunch. And yeah, even you, Babeom," Seunghyun growled at the last word and shot his new frenemy an annoyed look. "And you're trying to ruin the chances of all of us enjoying it."

 

"Jinjja?" Jiyong flashed Chae Rin a smile, and though she tried her best to hide it, she couldn't help herself but smile back, happiness radiating from her face. "I'll gladly eat it. I'll drop by your class during break. I'll see you!" He said as they reached the school.

 

Chae Rin watched him go with fondness, and only stopped in her tracks when she saw him run towards a petite figure - the perfect picture of soft billowing hair, brown and pulling with her a bag that must have been filled with books. The Ogre Princess felt her heart clench when her prince... when Jiyong flashed the woman a lovely smile. Ah, so this is what it feels like, she thought as she felt her heart fell into pieces in silence.

 

Her very first heartbreak - the feeling of having her breath knocked out from her chest, and as if the air itself ceased to exist, she couldn't breathe even if she tried

 

And alas, it was that look, the look that she had on her face that , unbeknownst to the world, was etched into the minds of the two boys by her side.