Yes, It Is

J and the Ogre Princess

"We are not dating!" Jiyong watched Chae Rin exasperatedly stomp her foot on the ground, creating a loud sound. Never had he seen her as flustered as this.

 

"Don't you lie to me! You told me you went on a date! ONCE!" Seunghyun pointed his fingers dramatically at his friend, dejection in his face. "You betrayed me! The one guy you weren't supposed to date, and you did!"

 

"What are you, in love with the kid?" Both their fathers asked, half amused and livid, at least Chae Rin's was.

 

"NO! WE HATE EACH OTHER. He is the reason why God put me on this earth - he is the person I must vanquish to -"

 

His words were cut off when Chae Rin smushed his face, making him slur his words. "Seunghyun totally misunderstood. We didn't go on a date, not really. It was because Bom unnie wanted us to come with her on her date, you know, as back up."

 

"So a double date?" Ahra-imo said, making Jiyong annoyed, for in her smile hid a hint of happy gloating.

 

Why was he even here? He had nothing to do with this whole mess, and neither did he want to be a part of it. To him, it was simply that - annoying. Unnecessary to call the two families together.

 

Food is better than this¸ he thought grumpily, huffing.

 

"Urgh! You guys are hopeless. You see? This is why Seungri didn't tell it to you, Imo, because everyone is jumping into ridiculous conclusions and urgh! It's just absurd."

 

"If it's 'absurd' then why did you ask for him to keep it a secret?"

 

"Yeah, hyung is right. Why?"

 

"Because you guys are like this. See what a mess this has become? Fine. I'll just not go. I'll go call unnie and tell her I can't."

 

"No, no, no, no!" Ahra-imo said, shaking her head. "You have to go. It's uhm.. very rude to cancel at the last second."

 

"Yeah!" His own mother piped in, agreeing with the ridiculousness.

 

"Yah! Why are you letting our daughter go? Have I no say in this?" Samchoon said, sending relief over everyone's hearts.

 

"No." Imo simply said, making Jiyong stand up in anger and walk away.

 

"Where are you going, oppa?"

 

"Sleeping. You guy are all too loud, and I have nothing to do with... this." he mumbled, stomping his way back to his room to play his guitar.

 

"But he has everything to do with it," Ahra mumbled, making her husband and the adults look at her, her expression tender and sad as she looked at her child.

 

"What do you mean by that, Ahra-ya?" her bestfriend inquired, making the  younger girl shake her head.

 

"Nothing, nothing." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After kicking out the rest of the kids, the rulers of the two kingdoms sipped on their soju, peanuts and other snacks in front of them.

 

"What did you mean by that, Ahra-ya? You know I'm not gonna stop annoying you about it, right?"

 

"Me too," her husband piped out. Yet Mr. Kwon simply kept quiet, his eyes closed, pretending to sleep. This was precisely why him and his friend never approved of their wives meddling. It was unnecessary. And messy.

 

"Well? Out with it," Jihyo probed.

 

"I just want my child to be happy, is that so bad?"

 

"But why keep it a secret?" The two men gave a look at each other, one confused, while the other, all-knowing.

 

And so, their discussion lasted through the night, the prince's mother prodding and probing constantly until the king had had enough of it.

 

"Stop asking her. It's none of our business."

 

"But it is! Jiyong's business is our business."

 

"No, it's not."

 

"Yes, it is."

 

"Seriously," the princess' Father slurred on, the bottle of soju now on his hand. Long had he forgotten why they were arguing or discussing, exactly. Something about Chae Rin, and he knew it was important, but the pull of sleep was weighing heavily down on him.

 

"You're as daft as your son, aren't you?" Annoyed, he gave his wife an exasperated look. How could she not know?

 

"I am not as daft as Seunghyun. And don't call our son, daft."

 

"I know he's not daft, I meant the othe- Ah, you know what? Nevermind. I'm done." Mr. Kwon said, standing up and dragging his sleeping friend to his feet. "I'm putting this old man to bed, then heading to mine. Stop questioning Ahra already."

 

The two men left their wives with each other. And once they were out of earshot, Ahra sighed sadly and confessed.

 

"Chae's in love."

 

"With the Jaebeom kid? I knew it!" Jihyo said, clapping her hands happily. Finally!

 

"No. With your son."

 

"Seunghyun?! But shouldn't this be a great news? We should be happy! It's everything we've drea-"

 

The look on her friend's face told her that it wasn't the case.

 

"No-... Jiyong?"