Once Upon A Time

J and the Ogre Princess

"So how did you know that was me, huh?" Jiyong asked right after he tapped her shoulder on the way to the park. It was a Friday, and his ssaem wasn't around. It felt like it had been two weeks since he last saw her - yesterday didn't seem to count in his head.

 

A surprised look came about her face, making him frown. "You called me Chae-chae."

 

"Why? What does Ri usually call you?"

 

"Nothing. We don't really call ourselves anything."

 

"What's the point of names then?"

 

"Oh! Well, he does calll me OP."

 

"What does that mean?"

 

"Ogre Princess."

 

"Why that little -"

 

Her laughter to his reaction made him smile, joining her. "But seriously, why?"

 

"Have you never seen me after waking up?"

 

"I have.. I still don't get it though."

 

"I..." she said, though he could see the hesitation in her eyes, "Apparently walk really loudly, and each step creates a thump downstairs."

 

That little punk of a brother of mine, he thought, annoyed because though she seemed fine with it, he could tell that it still bothered her.

 

Chae Rin must have sensed it, though he knew not how, "Really, it's alright. It's a small price compared to me always hitting him," she laughed. "So how are you and the TA, oppa? You know, the really beautiful one."

 

Jiyong found himself pursing his lips, the hands inside his pockets clammy. "I mean, we're... good?"

 

"That's great," she said, though her voice lacked enthusiasm.

 

"I mean, I haven't seen her for a few days."

 

"But you see her almost every day in class, right?" A frown etched itself on her face.

 

"Well, it doesn't really feel like that, you know?"

 

"Ah, I see."

 

He could feel the air tense around him, making him fidget a little. He stole a glance at her face and found her lips pursed.

 

"Anyway, it's almost summer, oppa! You should definitely... do something, you know, t-together.."

 

"Us?" He blinked, almost wondering if she was asking  him out.

 

"Ani. You and.. her." she nodded. "Summer vacation starts next week, right? Beach sounds perfect."

 

"Yah! Of course I'm spending my summer with you guys. Though.. that would be nice wouldn't it?" He pondered, a small smile on his lips.

 

"It would be," she said, the pain undetected in her voice. She had been looking forward to it - his birthday during that summer, cooking  him a feast, making his gift. But she knew and was finally willing to admit, that maybe, all of her plans weren't exactly the best thing for everyone.

 

He, on the other hand could iimagine a summer with everyone, a fun day on the beach. And if there were beautiful girls in sundresses, hair billowing against the wind painting a perfect picture - then he wouldn't be one to complain exactly.

 

At the sight of his expression, Chae Rin changed topics and said, "Anyway, oppa, I'm gonna go ahead, alright?"

 

His thoughts now disrupted, Jiyong frowned at the younger girl. "Where are you going? Aren't we going to the park?"

 

"A-ani. I'm going to my friend's house?"

 

"Jaebeom again?!! Weren't you just there yesterday? YAH! CHAE RIN-AH!" Jiyong called out loudly as he watched her walk away as fast as she could.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unlike the weather that surrounded them, transitioning from spring to summer, her mind had the opposite volition. The warmth that had grown over the last few months seemed to drain and become colder as each day passed. More and more, she secluded herself from him , and though she never wanted to go back to who she was before, it seemed that her own heart had taken matters into its hand. For every time she saw him, she would avoid his eyes, his words, and everything about him, she had chosen to ignore.  In futile hopes that she could forget the pain that was constantly stabbing her in between her chest.

 

In a matter of days, the small talks and laughter had died down, leaving the prince perplexed, for he knew not the matter at hand. What had he done wrong? He often pondered, his meals mostly spent in an awkward silence that laid heavily between him and her.  He had done nothing to cause offence, and for him to be treated this way,...so if silence was what she wanted, then he was willing to give it. He had thought, considering the last few months, that they were finally friends. But friends don't treat each other this way. 

 

Yet in contrast to his thoughts, his actions had proved his lack of resolve in the matter. Jiyong hounded his brother with a fervour he had yet shown.

 

"Yah, Seungri-ya, did I do anything to your friend?"

 

"Nope."

 

"Then why is she mad at me??" And though he was the older one, it was Jiyong who continued to whine, trying to use whatever means possible to get his brother to crack.

 

"Hyung, she's not mad at you," Seunghyun sighed, finally starting to get annoyed. For once, he was actually trying to focus on his work, seeing that he wanted the whole of summer free. And the only thing standing in his way, was his own dear older brother.

 

"Then why won't she talk with me? Yah, don't look at that. Doesn't numbers hurt your head?" His hyung stood up before giving Seunghyun's shoulders a massage.

 

"THEY DO. WHICH IS WHY I WANT TO FINISH THEM. AND I CANT BECAUSE YOU WON'T LEAVE. ME. ALONE!" Seunghyun snapped and took his work, dumping it all into a bag. "Well, since you and your Hunchae are fighting, it only makes sense to go hide in her castle. You can't possibly annoy me there, hyung. Mian," the younger man sighed before patting his brother's arms, and walking away, leaving a desolute Jiyong slumped on his desk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why won't you talk with him?" Seunghyun now whined to his own friend as he slumped by the foot of her bed, trying to understand how she got the answer with the teacher's method, though he didn't. He somehow found a roundabout way and had been using it, though it kept making him lose marks on official tests. Making a face at the piece of evil paper, Seunghyun heard his friend sigh.

 

"It's summer. He shouldn't be talking with me. He should be spending time with her, you know, like in all manhwa yeonghwa (anime) - which, most of my intrapersonal knowledge comes from. This is his chance in making a move, whatever that means. If it means taking long walks on the beach or breaking open a watermelon, then so be it."

 

"And who is it that keeps telling me that my life isn't an manhwa?"

 

"Fine, fine. But really, who am I to contest hundreds of years of knowledge?"

 

"True that." the young man nodded, his brows furrowed again with concentration.

 

"It's important to me that you know it's not actually hundreds of years of knowledge." Chae Rin eyed her friend, squinting in the process. "Plus, Jaebeom's parents' invited me to their summer cottage."

 

"Sure, I know that. Just like Hogwarts really doesn't exist. And - THEY OWN A SUMMER COTTAGE?"

 

"You know," she laughed at his reaction, "That really shouldn't be your first question."

 

"Okay, well, is noona coming?"

 

"Of course she is."

 

"Can I come?"

 

"I was hoping you could, so long as you don't fully embarrass me."

 

"So they actually own a cottage?"

 

"I don't know. They could be renting for all I care." she shrugged, mindlessly doodling on her dear diary - the diary that held all her thoughts, mostly of him, her plans, so ridiculous now when she looked back.

 

"Wait, wait wait. You're just joking, right? I mean, why would they invite us?"

 

"Actually, just me, not you. You're still only the Annoying One, according to Jay," she smiled before lazily chucking one of her tiny stuffed bears at Ri. "But I insisted you come, you know, so it won't be awkward."

 

"True, plus they'd probably think you two are dating if I don't come," he mumbled and nodded, before laughing at the thought.

 

"I mean, we have.... once."

 

"Hmm-mm. Man, that would be really funny, you and Babaeom going on a date." Seunghyun continued, almost guffawing with delight as he pictured an awkward stick man, trying to hold hands with ball of fur. Ball of furr? Chae Rin  isn't fluffy. Wait, WHAT?

 

"ONCE?"

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AUTHORS NOTE:

so quick timeline. year was 2007 when this starts

meaning Ji was born 1991 , chae/ri/jay 1994 ((yes, i know, dont complain. just in case. And why? because HPDH was released 2007 and jay quoted snape))

Spring: March -May
Summer: June-August
Fall: September-November
Winter: December- February

 

Story started mid-winter. So, around september (late summer, early fall. remember how she was starting to plan his birthday gift? That was because his actual birthday was only a few weeks earlier). progressed into winter (hence, when Ji met his "goddess", around december to january). Then, the winter break before the spring semester happens (new school year for japan and korea), then summer, which is where we are now. Hence, the character growth makes much more sense than just a few days or weeks.
Also, my ages are universal age, not korean age.

when jay dragged chae, it was around May

ALSO, ARE YOU SREAMING LIKE SEUNGRI?? COZ I AM. I DIDNT KNOW THIS WAS GONNA HAPPEN. I JUST SORTA.. TYPED IT. /ENDLESS SCREAMING FOR JAYRIN/