Rivals with the Princess

J and the Ogre Princess

 

It was lunch break and Jaebeom was simply bored. He poked his fork at his food, uninterested in the talk of conquest his friends were now talking about. It was something along the lines of who kissed who or got ito second base behind the gym. In short, it was uninteresting. 
 
He sighed. Once again, he had bought food at the cafeteria, his parents never had enough time to cook their son's meal. He looked enviously three tables away where his peer, Seunghyun and Chae Rin sat. He wondered how their lunched tasted. It always looked as if they had the grandest time during breaks because of it. 
 
Sighing, he rested his chin on his hand and daydreamed to the memory where he first met his princess - the Ogre Princess. 
 
 
It was when he was four that he first met her. He was a chubby little kid back then, just like her. It was kindergarten and the younger boys would play around with each other. He hated those times for because his weight, people would pick him and her last on their teams. He especially hated the heinous game of tag or grounders. He would always be it and his playmates would often get bored of the game, eventually leaving him out. 
 
He hated himself then. His parents, having left him at the care of their maid, who in turn cared about nothing except for her afternoon dramas, left Jaebeom free and alone. And everyone knew that a free child would have as much sugar as he or she could get their tiny little hands on. 
 
It was then, on the fateful morning of preschool that Chae Rin saw him crying. Having been left out of another game, he was lonely and walked away from everyone, tears falling continuously from his chinky eyes. He hid behind a tree, where, coincidentally, Chae Rin was quietly doodling on her a drawing pad. Chae Rin heard the boy's sniffling and turned around. She smiled at the kid and asked him to sit with her as she offered him a crayon and the other side of her page. They doodled the afternoon away and having been kids, completely uncaring of the time, accidentally got left behind. 
 
Chae Rin, being the smart girl that she was, knew her way home. Jaebeom, on the other hand, didnt. And so, like a lost puppy, she led him to her house where he got to spend dinner with the two families and experienced love and companionship for the first time. 
 
And over the years, he had watched her silently, the memory of that night forever engrained in his childish brain. But how, one may ask, did he become a kingka? It was because of his mother, having decided that he was "too fat". She put him on a diet at the age of seven and hired someone to watch over his food everyday. That and the fact that he was blessed with beautiful genes and a rich family.
 
 
"Hi Jaebeom," the snobby Hyunah sat across from him, waking him from his reminiscing. Annoyed, he gave her a glare and said, "What do you want?"
 
Either she plain ignored his tone or just refused to accept the fact that he was annoyed at her, she continued to smile at Jaebeom. 
 
"I've got something for you," she said happily before searching her bag and taking out a pair of couple necklace. Half hearts. Jaebeom looked at it in disgust and sighed. She was delusional if she thought she had a chance with him. He clearly remembered her as one of the people who had shun him when he looked his worst and there was no way he would fall for someone as shallow as that. 
 
Jaebeom tried to refuse her little gift nicely but she wouldn't have it. Sighing, Jaebeom stood up and took a last look at her, "If you have time to waste, why don't you spend it looking for someone else?" before walking over to the table he had been eyeing the whole break. 
 
 
 
"Urgh!" Chae Rin slammed her fist at the table, annoyed. Seunghyun chuckled to himself and started to eat. "How can someone be that idiotic? And we're supposed to learn something from him?" she muttered under her breath as she munched on her favorite chicken sandwich; one hand flipping the pages of her math workbook, which she did for fun. 
 
Seunghyun shivered disgustedly at the sigth of numbers and forced himself to not look at the accursed things and laugh at her pain instead. He frowned when his eye caught someone unfriendly coming their direction. 
 
"Hey, Princess." Jaebeom walked to them and sat beside Chae Rin, his eyes twinkling with delight. 
 
Jaebeom watched Chae Rin's expression turn from bad to worse and laughed inside. was agape from surprise, though, in Seunghyun's opinion, was the wrong expression. It should have been mortified or spite or hate or anything along those lines. He hated the man's guts. 
 
Jaebeom smirked before he leaned forward and took a bite of Chae Rin's sandwich, earning him a much hate-filled glare from The Annoying One (Seunhyun). Jaebeom gave him a look of victory before turning his eye back to Chae Rin. Hepromised himself that he would never lose her to  someone of that low caliber - the loser who calls himself Seung Ri or Victory. 
 
It took Chae Rin a few seconds to react to Jaebeom's actions due to the fact that she was debating with herself. Was it really worth the amount of hate she'd have to face if she smacked Jaebeom right then and there? A part of her cringed at the thought of his crazy fangirls, while the other was raging because he just took a bite of her FAVORITE sandwich, which was specifically made to her liking by her future mother-in-law (or so, she hoped). 
 
Breathing in deeply and scrunching her face up into a scowl, she reasoned with herself that she has faced so much worse that a few dozen hits on this man would surely be worth all the pain. 
 
She turned away from him, gently folded the seams of the plastic bag, covering her precious food, before turning back to him again. Raising her hands up high, she smacked him as much as she could. 
 
*smack* 
 
A hit on the head, the mohawked style he flaunted now laid flat on his pretty face. 
 
*smack*
 
His flawless face (or at least what the other girls called it) skin now had a red marked etched to it.
 
*smack* The sound provided Chae Rin with such satisfaction when she hit his arm which was now raised above his head to protect himself from her wrath. 
 
 
"Enough! Enough. Please.." he begged her to stop; which she did more so because of the evil auras she felt directed at her. She then put a mocking smile on her face and glared at the kid. "What do you want?" she asked him, her patience running thin. 
 
"Food. Yours looks so good that I just had to have some." he answered truthfully and looked at her again. She was the only one who looked at him differently - like he was an actual human being. 
 
Chae Rin continued to glare at the man. "Stop lying. Now seriously, what do you want? Because if you have nothing good to say, I'd appreciate it if you can leave because your little fangirls are giving me death glares powerful enough to rival the Death Star." 
 
Jaebeom sighed to himself and cursed the rest of the female population besides her. Why do they have to exist and ruin his plans?! Scowling at no one in particular, he looked at her and sighed. He just wanted the chance to talk to her... Fully talk to her but that seemed impossible. 
 
"I'm not lying. Why won't you believe me?" he asked her truthfully. 
 
Raising an eyebrow, Chae Rin took a quick look around while Seunghyun grumbled on his food, occasionally sending deadly glares to Jaebeom. She sighed and split the sandwich in half, giving it to him. 
 
"There. Now leave. Please." she said before turning her attention back on the math workbook. 
 
"I'm going to stay until I finish this, is that okay?"
 
"Of course not!" Seunghyun piped, earning him a slight jab from Jaebeom which he ignored. 
 
Chae Rin remained silent and forced the thought of the two out of her head. She had other problems, literally, to solve right in front of her. 
 
"Why do you do that?" Jaebeom couldnt help but wonder out loud. 
 
"Because-"
 
"Because she thinks its fun." interrupted Seunghyun. He didnt want her to talk to him. He was annoying and a bully. He didnt think that Jaebeom was a good guy. 
 
Chae Rin got up and leaned over the table, flicking Seunghyun's head before looking at Jaebeom and personally answering his question. "Pretty much what my idiot best friend said. Why?"
 
"Nothing. Its just different." Jaebeom shrugged and gave her a nervous smile. He didnt know how to act around her. All he knew was how to act around everyone else where he appeared aloof and cool. But with her, it was a whole different matter. 
 
As much as Chae Rin wanted to concentrate, she couldnt. Mostly because of the two idiots arguing loudly beside her and because she still havent decided on what to give Jiyong. 
 
But wait... A sudden thought hit her. 
 
Jaebeom was a guy.  A popular guy. Much like Jiyong. Surely he'd have an idea of what guys like...
 
"Park Jaebeom." she stated his name, similar to that of a prosecutor saying a criminal's name, making the boy's heart beat with nervousness. 
 
"You're a guy, arent you?"
 
"Uh...."
 
"Of course you are."
 
"...."
 
"And you know what guys like, right?"
 
"Sure. I guess." he looked at her, profoundly confused. What was she getting at? And... Did she JUST realize that he was an actual man this whole time?! After almost eight years of knowing him? 
 
Before he got the answer to his thoughts, her voice interrupted him. 
 
"So, if I was to say that your birthday is in two weeks, what would you like to receive?" Turning her whole body towards him, she gave him her full attention as she tapped the table impatiently. 
 
Confused and distraught by the fact that he couldn't think of a possible reason of why she wanted to give him a gift (as if!), Jaebeom tried to open his mouth and produce a sound but failed. Should he say 'you' instead? But wouldn't that make him sound erted? Or worse, cheesy? There wasn't anything in the world that he didn't already have. He was well provided for materialistically. And so, instead, he spurt out the first thing that came to mind. 
 
"A couple necklace." Looking at Chae Rin now, he did want one. It didn't matter whether it was stupid, cheesy or old-fashioned. He wanted one as long as it was her who was going to wear the pair. 
 
"That's stupid." both Chae Rin and Seunghyun said at the same time though Chae Rin blushed. The thought of Jiyong  and her... 
 
"ohmaigadthatwouldbesocute. Omo. Omo. Omo." Chae gushed out as she looked into a distant dream, her eyes going hazy. She squealed happily in her seat as she pictured her and Jiyong together, holding hands. She was beatiful and slim and he was only hers. Unknowingly to her poor classmate, Jaebeom had never seen Chae Rin spazzing. He blinked after the initial shock of seeing her squeal before coming to the conclusion that she likes him too. 
 
Grinning from ear to ear, he was about to ask her to be his girlfriend when the Annoying One said, "Its not you she's dreaming off. Now wipe that ugly grin off your face." he said before tossing the plastic bag of his sandwich to the nearby garbage bin. 
 
"Hmph. Who else would it be? You?" annoyed, Jaebeom feinted a punch on Seunghyun - something he was anticipating and dodge it dramatically. Chuckling to himself, he watched Chae hide her blushing face in her hands; she was still lost in her daydream. 
 
"My brother. And darn it, Park Jaebeom! Look what you did?! She's off to La La Land dreaming of nonsense even in school." he got up and took his bag before coming around the table and gathering Chae Rin's posessions. "Lets go, Ogre Princess. Stop embarrassing yourself. Palli!" he said then dragged her out of the cafeteria, away from the bewildered stares of their fellow students. 
 
Jaebeom was left with three things that occupied his thoughts for the next few days: one, Chae Rin was at her cutest when she spazzes; two, someone out there has an existence worse than the Annoying One; and three, he has a rival. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
AUTHORS NOTES
so isn't jay so cute? Ohmygoodness <3