Keep A Secret

J and the Ogre Princess

"Eaurgh. Urgh. Ew. Ew. No. No. STOP!" Seunghyun gagged on the floor, absolutely disgusted by the idea.

 

"Yah! What the hell is wrong with you?"

 

"You actually went on a date with him?! That self-obsessed, tiny-, oggling weirdo, Babeom? WHY? How can you do this to me, LEE CHAE RIN? Of all the guys you could date, why him?!"

 

"We're not dating. Please! Calm yourself. Plus.." she paused, a frown on her head. "Are you gay, Ri? Why does it sound like you don't want me dating him because you want to date him?"

 

"I DON'T want to date him. But I also DON'T want you to date him. Chae, most of my horrendous and annoying childhood memories came from the kid! What the hell?" And in his heart, he knew it was an excuse. Though he was never willing to admit it, he adored her. And all these changes scared the hell out of him. If she starts dating him, where would he go? To outsiders, people would think that it was her who had been dependent on him - a fat girl who had no other friends, no one else to accept her except for her scrawny best friend, but really, it was the other way around.  He was awkward, and silly, and random, and he blurted out things no one else had dared, and for that, he was a weird kid himself. But to her, he was normal. He was her normalcy. She was the only one who didn't shun him for speaking his mind, the one who could take his jokes, his stupidity, his silly antics and even play along with it.

 

Once, he remembered, when he reminded her of the baby ahjussi incident, trying to guilt her into it, she actually took some baby powder and spread it on her face, making him laugh.

 

Now how could he give up such a friendship? It was scary, and he didn't like it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Hyung, meet me ASAP. INY. Come alone.]

 

Jiyong blinked in amusement when he saw the text from his brother. What in the world? It was already the middle of summer and besides the fact that nothing had happened, Jiyong had no reason to get out of his cold room. It was boiling hot outside, completely terrible. And surely, whatever his brother had to say can be done in his room?

 

[Come here]

 

[No, you come here!]

 

[In your room?]

 

[Yes. Super Secret Meeting between bros. Palli!]

 

Grunting, Jiyong managed to drag himself to his brother's room. Opening the door, he met an extremely paranoia-filled Seunghyun.

 

"Were you followed?"
"Did anyone know I was texting you?"
"Did eomma know? She sniffs things like a hound dog."

 

Jiyong let out a hearty laugh and shook his head, immediately slumping on his kid brother's bed. "Yah, what's up with you?"

 

"I'm going crazy, hyung. CRAZY!" the boy said as he took a hold of Jiyong's arms and shook him.

 

"Whoah, slow down. Seriously, what's happening?" The prince wondered, now frowning with seriousness.

 

"I thought I could keep it a secret, but I couldn't. And it's driving me mad. Do I look insane? Because I certainly feel like it."

 

"What secret?"

 

"Aaaah, how can she do this to me? I can barely shut my mouth for a whole hour and she expects me - Oh! I am so mad!" Seunghyun rambled on, making Jiyong blink in surprise. Trying to calm his brother down, Jiyong pat Seunghyun's arms but the younger man only went on. "And on top of that - THE TRIP! Who is this Bingu? Why am I being taken to this cottage? Why do I have to keep so many secrets in? I'm about to explodeeeeeeee!"

 

"Do. Not. Explode!" Jiyong sighed at his distressed brother, forcing him to sit on the bed. "Okay, first things first: what secret? Maybe if you can get it out, it'll make you feel better. Second, what in the world is a bingu? Third: Who's taking you?"

 

"It's a secret, hyung, so I can't tell you! Oh, but I soooooooo want to tell you. Maybe you can put an end to it, but but but, I'm scared! Aah, I don't know what to do. What do I do? Second, Bingu is apparently this gloriously gorgeous man who Bom noona seem to be infatuated with. But I wasn't even supposed to know about it, Chae RIn just told me. And what do I do? How do I fight gorgeous men that looked like the just dropped off from the pages of a manhwa? HOW?! And also, THE TRIP IS TOMORROW. AND I HAVENT TOLD EOMMA AND APPA AND CHAE RIN IS GOING TO KILL ME. AND I'M SCARED. AND IM SO EXCITED. AND I WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH, HYUNG. THE BEACH!"

 

The supposed answers only brought more questions to Jiyong. And what made the situation even more confusing was when Jaebeom walked into his brother's room without knocking, the other child, greeting Ri with a nod on his head.

 

When did these two become that close? Didn't they hate each other?

 

"You packed for tomorrow?" Jaebeom asked, eyeing Seunghyun.

 

"Yes." His little brother sighed and slumped on the floor. "No. I don't know what sort of clothes to bring."

 

"What trip?" Jiyong looked around, confused.

 

"Oh." Jaebeom said, noticing the older man. He looked away from Jiyong and frowned, eyeing his frenemy. "Guess you haven't gotten permission yet?"

 

"Ri, what is he talking about?"

 

"His parents invited me and Chae -"

 

"Just Chae," Jay interrupted.

 

"To their beach cottage. Tomorrow. Leaving tomorrow. For a week."

 

"The whole summer, actually. But she said no--"

 

"What?!!" The voice of Mrs. Kwon erupted from behind the door, "How come I never heard of this? Oh, and is this the handsome young man?" She said, doting on Jaebeom.

 

Annoyed, Jiyong crossed his eyebrows at his mother, letting him know his displeasure. Wasn't he the handsome one in the family? Wait, why did that even matter?

 

"So, can I go?" Seunghyun asked, his eyes hopeful.

 

"Nope. You don't just spring out trips right before they happen, boy. You let us know a week beforehand! You're not leaving the house."

 

"B-but mom!!!!" he whined, looking so helpless. "Is Chae Rin still going?"

 

"Yes, I think. That's what Ahra, said, anyway. But you are not."

 

"Wait, so you knew?! When?" Jiyong and Ri asked their mom, infuriated at the situation.

 

"A month ago. This young man right here, got his parents to call Ahra, and of course," she half -whispered, though  who was she kidding? Her voice was loud enough for all to hear. "Really, such a good kid. And obviously, Ahra said no, because uri Chaerinie is too precious, you know? Who can say she'll come back alive? I'm sorry boy."

 

"It's okay, Miss Kwon," Jay flashed his mother a smile, charming the older lady.

 

Miss? Really now?

 

"Anyway, it took weeks, but he finally convinced your imo and samchoon and jajjan~"

 

"How? Wha- How?" Jiyong asked, bewildered at the whole situation. Did he spend half his summer asleep? How could he not know what was happening right outside his house?

 

You were pining for her, remember?, He thought to himself. That, whatever-her-name was. The pretty girl.

 

No, I haven't.

 

Well, whatever. Plus, you haven't talked to Chae Rin since before break.

 

Right. That was it. Surely, she would have told him had he asked. They were still friends... right?

 

In the middle of his thoughts, his mom continued prattling on, "-everyday, he was there. Doing their homework. Finishing all the stuff for school. So responsible. And every day, I waited for you, Seungie, to ask for permission, but no! When will you start doing things on your own, huh?"

 

"BUT SHE TOLD ME TO KEEP IT A SECRET!"

 

"Don't you scream at me, boy!" their mother said. "And keep what a secret?"

 

"THEY.. THEY.. THEY'RE dating." he said in a horrified whisper.