Last Time

J and the Ogre Princess

Their first day was spent rushing around, cooking and laughing around the meals. Though it was a bit awkward at first, Jaebeom's parents proved to be normal ones, despite what her best friend had insisted their whole lives.

 

"So they're really not blood- vampires?" Seunghyun inquired to Jaebeom, making the other kid chuckle.

 

"Money-, more like," he said darkly. Though her friend didn't catch it, she did, making her glance at her unnie who was busily dusting off the tables and chairs.

 

"Damn. I thought, seeing as how you are, they'd be vampires, you know?"

 

"You little punk-" Jaebeom whispered, maiming to hit Ri's head. Chae Rin smiled at their exchange as she focused on washing the vegetables in front of her. All had their chores to cook lunch, the first meal that they were going to have in the cottage. And while the two kept their little arguments, Chae Rin allowed her mind to wander, mostly to him. Always to him. And just like that, a wave of sadness swept over her.

 

She didn't understand how he could be so mad. What had she done wrong? He called her a liar, yet she never remembered saying anything that was wrong. Or maybe what the word lie meant different to him that it did to her. Absentmindedly, she let the water ran down her hands, the dirt from the vegetables had long been washed off. She wondered what he was doing today, right now. Could he, possibly, be pining for the woman again? That ageless girl who haunted the princess' nightmares.

 

"Gongju-nim~"  The Corn Goddess called out to Chae Rin, her nose crinkling at her feather duster. "What are you doing over there, huh? Those vegetables are squeaky clean by now."

 

The princess gave her a startling expression, surprised painted all over. Bom, sensing that something was wrong with her dear one, ushered the child out of earshot of  the two - which were now hurling insults at each other, and laughing at whichever one was worse.

 

"What's wrong? Tell me, Chae Rinie. Malhaebwa," Bom asked her as they sat together on the couch.

 

"Oppa... He's just really mad at me." There was always a finality with the words that people say out loud. It was as if, though the problem is real, it can be kept in the dark, pretend to be just a nightmare until the words make it out into the real world. And this was what it felt like to her.

 

"Why?" Bom asked, a worried look upon her beautiful face.

 

"Just.... coz."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The hours passed so painstakingly slow to him. Despite the pile of projects he had for school and with friends, he swore he could hear the clock tick with each second and it drove him mad. He tried to think of other things, how to create a presentation, what to do with his math homework, the history readings that kept piling up...

 

But all he could think of was her not turning around when he called her name. It was during that day that his brother and his friends left, the rich kid's car driving  to their houses. He had felt guilty all morning from what he said, that he wanted to apologize to her. And he did try, he swore he did. In fact even at the last moment, he called her, tried to at least, but she ignored him. He knew for a fact that she heard him for she paused in her  tracks... But the way she chose to get in the car without looking back... clawed at him.

 

"HunhunChae Rin..." he said to himself, frowning a little, annoyed at the heated feeling in his heart. "She's no longer warm..."

 

Beep.

 

His phone dinged, signalling a message.

 

[WHAT DID YOU DO? -Uksusu Yeoshinnim]

 

Corn Goddess? Who in the world was that? Chae calls herself a corn goddess?

 

Still, he was happy to have received the text. Yet before he could even reply...

 

[What did you do to my dongsaeng, huh?! WHAT WHAT WHAT. I know I'm not supposed to use people's phone randomly, but oh god, im so mad. What have you done, sir?! Ah, i shouldnt call you sir. You hurt the princess]

 

I.Hurt. Her. Well, what was new? He thought to himself. That was all he could do to her, so it seems. Sighing, his fingers began to type words to reply when he received a call.

 

"Corn Go-"

 

"Oppa?! Oppa?! Jeongmal mianhae. I'm so sorry. Unnie took my phone and urf-" It was her voice who greeted him, frantic though it was, Jiyong felt elated. Relieved. That was the word.

 

"Chae, I-"

 

"Ya! I-NOM. HOW DARE YOU MAKE MY PRINCESS SAD-"

"Shut up, Jay! Gimme my phone back."

"Oh, is that hyung? Tell him I said hi," the voice of his brother called out from the background. Damn that kid, he didn't even seem the least bit concerned about what was happening!

 

And did that little just called him inom?

 

Motherf-...

 

"Yah. HUNCHAE YAH.You give me that little runt right now and I swear we'll go. "

 

"You'll go where?" She asked before Jiyong heard a yelp on the other end. "Anyway.. Jiyong oppa... I meant.. I meant... Jiyong sunbaenim."

 

"Sunbaenim?! Yah, what are you on?" he frowned, the hesitation on her voice making him queasy.

 

"Oh, you're right," Oh, thank God.

 

"Jiyong-ssi. I'm really sorry about unnie..."

 

The rest of her words melted around his ears, failing to be heard. Jiyong-ssi? What.. Why?!

 

"Yah, Lee Chae Rin! You listen here-"

 

"I know, I know. Don't worry. I know you told me, so I really just wanted to apologize. It'll be the last time, I swear."

 

The last time of what? And before he could even respond or formulate words, he heard the simple click at the end of the line.

 

Damn this girl... he thought before burying his face on his pillows, his thoughts consuming him completely. 

 

 

 

 

Author's notes:

I realize that a lot of people are hating on jiyong... and I really am sad of that because this story is a slow one (mostly because it takes me forever to write updates) hence, my chapters are relatively shorter than other author's. To appease the hate from my babyji, I will update 3 chapters tonight and maybe you all can see the realization of it. Thank you for the comments and support. Theyre always appreciated