Maybe, One Day

Love Will Get You Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Slowly, I opened my eyes, readjusting to the brightness. It was our first night in the suite of The Shilla, Jeju. Seunghyun was still fast asleep on the couch. I hear noises of shuffling, then remembered that Seunghyun's mother was in the room. I opened the door to the room, with a mental note to explore the suite later on. Mrs Choi was nicely dressed up, now applying her last coat of mascara. "Are you leaving?" I asked, walking into the room. 

She jumped in shock, then turn to me, "Um, I..." 
"You're leaving, aren't you?" I asked, with a tinge of annoyance in my voice. I was aware of my lack of manners but I just couldn't watch her abandon what they had painstakingly went through yesterday. If anything, it was progress.  
"Yes," she admitted, "Seunghyun and yourself are here to enjoy yourselves. I don't want to upset him. I need to go."
She picked up her bag when I stopped her again, "It has always been your assumptions... What makes you think you are upsetting him?" I hesitated before continuing, "Have you ever considered what Seunghyun genuinely wants, and not what you think is best for him?" 

She paused, then shurgged it off. It was apparent she wasn't keen of facing the reality.
"Do you know what Seunghyun really needs?" I probed further. When she didn't answer, I continued, "He needs you. He needs his father. No child should have had to go through what he went through and what he needs now is his parents' love- something he thought he never had. You love him, Mrs Choi. Harabeoji loves him and he's trying to make ammendments now. What about you? Don't you want your child back?"

Her eyes shut tightly. She was holding back her tears, "He won't forgive me... After all that I've done... Even if he does, I don't deserve it." 

"And aren't these your assumptions, yet again? He brought you back here. Did you heard him yesterday? He called you "omma" when you passed out. Is it not obvious enough that this child is longing for his mother- the one person in this entire world that his faith and love never faltered for? Seunghyun loves you so much and no matter how happy he is with me or with his career, the feeling of having a family, of having your parents' love is completely irreplaceable. I know that because I lost my parents when I was 6 and 2 months ago I realized the murderer is actually my biological father. Within the same day, I found out that his intentions were harmless, that he was mentally ill. I had to fight my way to sanity and to realize after all these times, I want my parents back. I've never seen my biological father, yet I know love him. A child will forever be bonded with their parents. I'd do just about anything in this world to bring them back but I know I am deprived of that chance. But you have a chance to make it right and have your own happy family reunion; as long as you try and let go of the past. Please, Mrs Choi... Don't leave again." 

Her tears trickled down hopelessly and she leaned in closer to me, "Hyunjae, you've been through a lot. You're so strong and you're just the woman Seunghyun needs in his life. For what I've done, I can never forgive myself. I don't deserve a happy reunion. Please... I've left a note for him. Pass it to him when he's awake. Thank you, Hyunjae. I really like you a lot and maybe, one day, I can proudly call you my daughter-in-law." With that said, she left for the door. 


Angry and disappointed tears pooled into my eyes. I dropped to my knees, feeling just as useless and as distressed. I hugged my knees close to me, as if seeking the least bit of existing comfort. I miss my parents. I've never had the chance to get to know Travis. I've never had the chance to come home, running to my fathers and mother about the boys' problems I faced. I've never had to chance to feel guilty about doing badly on my examinations. Neither did I get the chance to announce proudly to them how I'm making my own money, doing the things I love. They didn't get a chance to meet Seunghyun. Seunghyun was deprived of that chance too, but now he is so close to having a family. Why must Mrs Ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter