Sanctum

Love Will Get You Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Did you know about it, Halmoni?" I asked her, while adjusting my pillow to a more comfortable position. She shook her head, "I don't... I was surprised too. I think only Jaeyoung knows." 

I nodded, "Oh..." She chuckled softly, "Yes, Little? What's on your mind?" 

I laughed. Grandma always knows when something is bothering me. I'm starting to think if my thoughts are transparent because people who know me well enough always seem to know whenever something is on my mind. "Halmoni... Do you approve...?" I asked softly. Asking this actually seemed weird since I already said yes to Seunghyun.  

"Well... Judging by the duration that you and Seunghyun met and got together, not very. It's too soon, actually. Marriage is a lifetime commitment, Little... It is a big thing. It concerns your future" 

I was slightly disappointed by I knew grandma was right. In my perspective, everything seems to be flying across too. I was a 22-year-old travel blogger. Now, I am a 22-year-old travel blogger, engaged to a 25-year-old international idol. 

She continued, "But I have a hunch. My clairvoyance senses tell me that this is it. He will be your future, and you will be happy with him. As worried as I am, I feel safe to entrust you to Seunghyun. However... With that said, it is still up to the both of you to work things out. Like I always say, love will get you home. And as long as the love keeps burning, it will bring you happiness. Do you understand what I mean, Little? And this love have to work both ways. Love is about accepting. Love is about compromising. Love is about giving, and receiving. And this is extremely crucial." 
I looked at grandma, digesting her words of wisdom. "I understand, Halmoni. I will remember what you say. Thank you..."  I kissed her on the cheeks while she fell asleep next to me.  

It was my last night sleeping at home. Tomorrow, I will be on my way back to Korea. My... My second home now, if I may add. 

My thoughts drifted off to Seunghyun. What could be on his mind right now? Is he excited about going back home? Was the proposal an impulsive decision, that he might be regretting it now? Does Sajangnim knows about this? Does Big Bang knows about this? How will Sajangnim react to our engagement? How will Big Bang react to our engagement? And most importantly... How will the media and Seunghyun's fans react to our engagement? All this while, the media and the fans have been kept in the dark about Seunghyun's relationship. To put it nastily, Seunghyun and well... Big Bang have been lying to the media whenever they were asked about Seunghyun's relationship status. Suddenly, I feared. Will they response be negative? Will it affect Big Bang or even, the whole of YG Entertainment? 

Go to sleep, Hyunjae. Go to sleep. I have that repeated in my head. And eventually, my brain got the message and I fell asleep. 

 

I had my alarm set early. Well, if its the last day I'm going to spend at home, I might as well make full use of the day. 

My awakening hours were pretty much spent around the house with my loved ones. I spent the longest time in grandpa's greenhouse. 
"Do you know why I am so persistent to plant these moon flowers?" Grandpa asked, while scrutinizing his greens. I just shook my head, "Because it's your favorite?"
"That is just partly correct, Little. It is my favorite because it reminds me of you. Moon flowers only bloom under the moon light. They bloom slowly, and beautifully under the moon light, and they will last through the night. And this factor, reminds me so much about you. With the right ingredients, you will bloom. Every single time I watch it bloom during twilight, I'd think of you. It gives me hope when they bloom. Now, Park Hyunjae is shining because she's finally guided by the right light. She found love and she has learnt to love again. And she came to terms with accepting her past. She's beautiful and I think she finally realizes it." He says, then he smiled. 
"Harabeoji..." I smiled, "Thank you for having so much faith in me..." 
"No matter where you are, Little, remember what I say. Okay? You will always shine. You'll always be as beautiful as these flowers." 

 

I went back into the house, packed some of my stuffs and I laid on the bed, while Seunghyun joined me. "Jae...?" He said softly, "Can I visit your parents?" I was surprised by his request. When I decided to come back home, the first place I wanted to go was to my parents' grave but because of the given circumstances, it slipped off my mind. I used to spend so much time there, just writing and painting. It is actually, a place more intimate than home. It is like my church, my sanctum, where I find peace and serenity within. 
"Are you sure...?" I asked. He nodded, "Yes, dear. I got your grandparents' approval. But I want theirs. I want them to know who am I. I want them to get to know me." I nodded, "Let's go" 


We bought lilies, my mother's favorite, and we went to their grave. It looked almost exactly how it was when I left, just a lot more fallen leaves around it. 
"Appa... Omma... Meet Seunghyun, my fiancé." I said, wearing a smile. Seunghyun bowed, "Annyeong!" He greeted my parents. I just stood there, while he sat down. What is he doing? 

"Mr and Mrs Park, this is the first time we are meeting so please let me introduce myself. My name is Choi Seunghyun. I will turn 25 years old in November and I am an idol, a rapper of a Korean Hip-Hop band, Big Bang. I used to be a fat little boy," he said as he took a picture of himself out from his wallet that depicts a chubby little boy. I've seen pictures of him circling on the Internet, but I've never seen this one. He was siting down, cross legged, smiling to the camera, while holding onto his ice cream. He continued, "I was a really fat kid, a glutton in a happy relationship with food. But to pursue my dream, I had to lose weight. Therefore I shed all these pounds within a span of 2 months to get to where I am today. Since young, I dream to be on the stage. And I know I'd do anything to get there. So similarly, trust me, I am willing to do anything, to go to whatever distances, to take care and protect Hyunjae and keep our love burning. The first time I met Hyunjae, I fell in love with her smile. And when I finally got her, sadly, I took her for granted. For that, I am sorry. I just got lost; burying myself in my past all over again. But please trust that I love Hyunjae and I will give my all to make her happy." He turned to me and smile, while I felt more tears falling. He was being so blatantly honest in front of my parents. He was speaking to them as if it weren't their graves that were right in front of him. He held onto my hand and urged me to sit beside him. 

He went on, "Yesterday was the happiest day of my life, and I am sure you would have already guessed why. I proposed to Hyunjae and she said yes. Mr and Mrs Park, I don't know if you grant us your approval but I am hoping you will and already did. Yesterday was so surreal. I've always been a cautious person. I don't fall easily, or make decisions on impulse. But I know the decision I made yesterday wasn't on impulse. I know twenty years down the road, I will still look back at that exact moment when I went down on one knee, and I will be so proud of myself to have had the courage to popped the question to Hyunjae. Is that how you feel, Mr Park, when you popped the question to Mrs Park? I think you are the only one who can understand the adrenaline that I had. My heart was beating so fast, I thought I was going to pass out..." he chuckled shyly.
"Tonight, I will have to bring Hyunjae back to Seoul with me. I am sorry, but I promise to bring her back. Mr and Mrs Park, I want to say thank you. And although I don't know you personally, neither will I ever have the chance to meet either of you, I'd like to tell you that I love you. Thank you for bringing Hyunjae on this planet. Thank you for being such great parents. So before I leave, I'd like to at least do something for you."

His hand slipped away from mine, "I'll be back in 5. I need to get something from the car."

I was still in tears, listening to whatever Seunghyun had said to my parents. "Appa, omma, how is he? He look so darn tough on the outside but right here," I pointed to my heart, "He's as soft as... Candy floss. He's so sensitive and delicate. I love him. I really do. I am so proud of him. And I am happy that he is the first guy that I have brought home, and the first guy that you've met. I am pretty sure he will be the last too." I laughed, then turned behind to be greeted by Seunghyun holding to an acoustic guitar. 

"What are you doing...?" I asked, perking up an eyebrow. Seunghyun doesn't really know how to play the guitar. He flashed me a shy smile, "I practised a lot for this day." He sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter