Start of Something Beautiful

You are Mine

---Kikwang POV

I felt the presence of Dongwoon behind me as we left the place we were bonded at and headed out to my car. He towered a good head over me, though I had already figured out I was his elder by around a year. I unlocked the car, getting into the driver’s side, watching him in my rearview mirror as he went around the back to get in the passenger’s side. He hadn’t said a word to me since we were bonded. I didn’t feel like talking to him if he wasn’t going to start the conversation. Maybe he had a lot on his mind. He was bonded to someone like me for the rest of his life.

I felt a sigh escape my lips, as I turned the key in the ignition. The soft purr of the engine echoed throughout the now-empty garage. I spared a glance to Dongwoon, but his attention was elsewhere. He stared lifelessly out the window, his eyes distant. I reached over to touch him, but immediately retracted my hand, pushing the thought away. I would let him sort out his issues on his own. We barely knew each other. He’d have his own issues to deal with.

“You hungry?” I pulled out of the parking space, leaving the parking garage. I stopped at the stop sign, looking over at Dongwoon. I could tell he was going to say no, but the growling of his stomach begged to differ. I suppressed a laugh, turning right at the stop sign until we ended up at a small café. I opened my door, making sure the wallet was still in my pocket. “Come on, Dongwoon.”

He followed me out of the car and into the café. The smell of coffee and cake immediately filled my nose, a content sigh escaping my lips. No one was here at this time of night, except for a few students and the workers. I led Dongwoon to a booth in the back corner, a waitress coming to take our order. I ordered a latte, and Dongwoon ordered a cappuccino. We sat in an awkward silence, I twiddled my thumbs to try and relieve the awkwardness.

“S-so Dongwoon. What was it like there? You know, in prison.” My voice came out small, my eyes trained on my hands clasped in front of me.

“It was a prison. It was hell in there.” His voice was so beautiful. I wanted to hear more of it, but he seemed to not want to talk to me at all.

“Really? Did they not give you enough to eat, or…?” I looked up to see the deep set eyes staring at me. My heart dropped for a moment, the eyes so mysterious and foreign.

“No. It was just like hell.”

Luckily, we were saved from any more conversation as the waitress chose that moment to bring us our drinks we ordered. I thanked her, and began to slowly sip the drink from the cup in front of me. Dongwoon returned his gaze to looking outside the window. I sighed, drawing small circles on my cup in front of me.

“Dongwoon… Are you upset that I’m your owner?” My voice came out as a mere whisper, but Dongwoon’s attention was turned to me right as the words escaped my mouth. He reached across the table and took my hands into his, his gaze softening slightly as he shook his head no.

“Anio. Mianhe, Kikwang. I just have a lot on my mind right now.” His words were sweet, sincere. I felt a sigh of relief escape my lips. He didn’t hate me. Maybe we could even become friends?

“You know. Dongwoon. You can tell me what’s on your mind. I am your owner now. If there’s anything I can do to help, tell me.”

“B-But Kikwang… That’d be against protocol if you were to do something to help me…”

“Screw protocol.” The words surprised me as they escaped my mouth, my hand coming up to cover it as if that could take back the words I’d just said. A smile, a genuine one, spread across Dongwoon’s face, his hand going up to scratch his chin.

“Well then… If you’re so intent on helping me, promise me one thing.

“Anything.”

“At any point in the future, if I need your help to do something, you’ll lend your assistance?”

“Of course. If it’d help you out, I’d be happy to. As long as it doesn’t involve killing anyone.”

“Well. It probably wouldn’t involve that.”

“Then sure.” A smile lit up my face, as I extended my pinky towards the younger boy. He linked his pinky with mine, sealing the deal. The waitress returned and asked us if we would like anything to eat. I ordered a shrimp fettuccine alfredo, and Dongwoon ordered a cheeseburger with fries. We sat in comfortable silence as we waited for our meal, the awkwardness earlier dispersed. As we ate, we talked about nothing in particular. I gave Dongwoon bits and pieces of my past, but I didn’t want to bring his past up, as he seemed to not want to let anything on about it. I laughed at the jokes he attempted to make, more out of politeness than anything else. I paid for the bill, leaving a few dollars as a tip.

We left the café, the night air chilling my face immediately. I exhaled, seeing the puff of air that formed in front of me. A childish smile lit up my face, as I continued to exhale some more, wanting to see that puff of air again. I had forgotten Dongwoon was with me until I heard him giggle to himself. A flush burned my cheeks as I looked at my feet. I glanced upwards, seeing Dongwoon himself making little air clouds in front of him. I smiled slightly at the sight, knowing he was doing that to make me feel better.

I walked over to where my car was parked, unlocking it and getting in immediately. Dongwoon entered a second later, and I the heater. I smiled as my insides warmed, and turned the radio on. The first station I was on was static, but the next station played music from before the war. I recognized the song. It was Midnight by a group called B2ST. Apparently they were top stars before the wars started. I don’t know what happened to them, though. I shrugged, as the music played through the car.

“Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na. Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na. I wanna sleep tonight, In the Midnight, Midnight, Midnight.”

I heard Dongwoon sing along to the opening of the song, my eyes widening at the sound of his voice. He sang beautifully. If he had lived before the wars happened, he would have been able to become a singer easy.

“Geudaeneun eotteongayo Gakkeumeun nareul saenggakhan jeok innayo I gin bame dasi nuneul gamgo Geudael saenggakhago jamdeulji motago Geuraeyo.”

His voice went along in perfect harmony with the voice that was on the radio. I smiled as I opened my mouth to sing the next part of the song.

“Jogeum yunanhi gineyo geudae eomneun bami Aswiwojineyo geuttae bonaen geu nari deo~ Gyesok mudyeojigetjyo jeomjeom ichyeojigetjyo Eonjenganeun geudaega.”

Dongwoon’s voice joined mine as we broke into the chorus of the song.

“Jami oji annneun bam So sad tonight Geudaewa hamkkehal su eomneun i bam In the Midnight-igh-ight  Midnight-ight Ni saenggage jam mot deuneun Midnight. Dasi chajaon i bam So sad tonight Geudaega eobsi dasi matneun i bam In the Midnight-igh-ight  Midnight-ight Niga eobsi jam mot deuneun Midnight~!”

We continued to sing along to the song, our voices fitting together as if they were made for each other. The song ended, and we sang along to the next one that came on, 4Minute’s HuH, and continued singing to the songs that followed. Finally, we pulled up to the apartment complex my suite was in. I turned off the car, and walked into the ground floor of the apartments. I opened up the mailbox that was mine and noticed a letter addressed to Dongwoon.

“Dongwoon. You have a letter.”

“Jinjjal?” Dongwoon reached for the letter his face turning cold as he looked at the letter in his hand.

---Dongwoon POV

I gripped the letter in my hands, my eyes darting to the handwriting that wrote my name. I recognized it immediately.

It was the handwriting I’d hope I’d never have to see again in my life.

“Dongwoon? Are you alright?”

Kikwang’s voice brought me out of my trance, my eyes looking up into his. I smiled sheepishly and nodded. Though he didn’t look convinced, he didn’t press the subject. He led me to the tenth floor, which was all his, he said with a shy grin on his face. He opened the door to a room which I’d assumed was mine. He wished me a goodnight and left me to fall asleep. I closed the door behind me, my heart thudding in my chest. I clenched the letter tighter, my eyes watering with memories of how they threw me away. Now they wanted me to forgive them?

I walked into the kitchen, looking for something to start a fire with. I found a box of matches, and lit one on fire. I watched as the letter burned into ashes, in front of my eyes.

I swept the ashes into the trash can.

I let out a sigh of relief as the letter was no longer in my sight.

I walked into the bedroom and sank onto the bed, sleep overcoming me at last.

 

a/n: Ahh~ Finally done with this chapter. Thank you for reading~! <33 Don’t forget to subscribe and comment. ^^