September 13th (Part One)

Tears of December

~Flashback~

 

 

, it’s cold, though Kris, as he pulled his bomber closer to his body. He pulled his shivering hand out of his pocket to check the time. 6:30pm. Basketball practice always ran so late for him, but that was probably because he always stayed behind for extra practice.

 

He passed the local hospital where his dad worked. Kris would always go to the court close to the hospital and play basketball, cause rarely anyone went there. Everyone went to the courts outside the school instead. But when it was cold, no one went out a played.

 

Walking pass the court, he heard the familiar sound of ball on pavement. Who could be playing at this time, and at this time of year? Well, I would. Kris thought to himself. He peeked through the green wire fence and spotted a boy about his age dribbling a ball between his hands.

 

He didn’t seem to mind the cold at all, but his eyes had dark circles underneath. He kind of resembled a panda. The boy’s dribbling was skilled, but Kris was surprised. The boy was sitting in a wheelchair.

 

Kris watched the boy play, amazed by the agility in his hands. He could push himself around, and dribble the ball. Although the boy didn’t get the ball in many times, he seemed really happy just to play the sport.

 

Suddenly, the boy in the wheelchair turned and saw Kris. Kris froze. He didn’t know whether to turn away and leave, or smile at the boy. The boy tilted his head in curiosity, and then he smiled. Something in the boy’s smile made Kris want to smile.

 

“Come play with me!” The boy shouted. His voice wasn’t very loud, but it was a nice sound. Maybe he sings. Kris though. Kris walked around to the entrance of the fence. A little more B-ball wouldn’t hurt.

 

The boy passed the ball to Kris, who dribbled it around the panda-eyed boy. Kris thought he should go easy on him, since he was in a wheelchair, but the other boy easily swiped it from his control. Kris frowned. I’ll play harder.

 

They played for what seemed like minutes, but was actually an hour. Kris heard his phone ring, and pulled it out of his pocket. It was his dad, probably telling him that he would be home late. His dad always worked.

 

Kris picked up the call, which ended in less than a minute. The boy in the wheelchair waited patiently, holding the old and worn basketball in his lap. “Sorry, that was my dad.” Kris apologized.

 

The boy smiled. “No problem. Do you know the time?” He said. Kris clicked his iPhone. “Its 7:45.” Kris slipped his phone back in his pocket, zipping it up. The boy in the wheelchair’s eyes grew big. “Oh no! I have to get back to the hospital!” He began wheeling himself towards the entrance/exit of the fenced in area.

 

Kris frowned. “You live in the hospital?” Kris didn’t understand how such an energetic person could be confined within a hospital. The boy nodded. “Yeah. Thanks for playing with me.” He smiled, the corners of his mouth tipping upward, deepening his eye circles. “Most people wouldn’t do that.” He said. Kris followed him towards the exit.

 

“Well, bye.” The boy said. Kris smiled a little. “I’ll see you around.” They parted ways, one heading towards the hospital, and one in the other direction. 

 

 

That night, Kris phoned his dad for the first time in months to ask him about the boy he met last night. “Dad, do you know all the patients in the hospital?” Kris said, searching for food. 

 

“Not all, but most.” Kris’s dad replied. “Why?” Kris poured some crackers onto a plate, carefully as to not spill any. “Well yesterday after practice, I met one of your patients.” Kris said. He wasn’t really sure how describe him, other than the wheelchair.

 

 “Really? Which one?” His dad said. There was some clattering from the other side. He was probably eating. Kris sighed. That’s what I’m trying to find out. He wanted to say. But he couldn’t disrespect his father. “He’s in a wheelchair… and he likes basketball…” Kris offered. “And he looks kind of like a panda.” He suddenly remembered how dark the circles under the boy’s eyes were.

 

Kris’s Dad frowned. “Son, are you gay?” He almost choked on his crackers. Kris was taken aback. “What? No! I just met him, and I want to be friends.” Kris almost wanted to throw a book at his dad for jumping to conclusions.

 

His dad didn’t seem to believe him, but he relaxed a little. “Yes,” he said. “His name is Tao. He’s our medical phenomenon.” Kris frowned. “Why?” Something told him he didn’t really want to know.

 

“If you’re going to befriend him, you’ll find out sooner or later.” His dad answered. “I have to go. I’ll talk to you some other time.” His dad hung up.

 

Kris tapped the end button, leaving him in the silent dorm alone. What on earth was his dad talking about?

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Kris offered to push Tao around, who gladly accepted. Everywhere they went, Tao would point at things and say ‘Wow that’s so cool!’ Even though it was winter, and it was freezing, Tao found the smallest things to be fascinating. On the way to the park, Tao saw a crow and pointed at it yelling “OH MY GOD.” Even though he’s seen it so many times, he was still estatic. Then when the crow flew away, Tao waved towards the sky while calling ‘goodbye!’ Kris felt a warm feeling inside him, one that he hadn’t felt for a long time.

 

How can he be so happy? Kris thought. Kris had everything anyone could ever want, but he hated all of it. Tao saw Kris deep in thought and smiled at him. The warm feeling inside Kris grew, and he smiled back.

 

“D’AWWW LOOKIT THE HAPPY COUPLE!” Sehun ran over and jumped on Kris’s back, earning giggles from Tao and annoyance from Luhan. Chanyeol and Baekhyun walked over and laughed. Kris pushed Sehun off. “We’re not really a couple…” Sehun scoffed. “You guys met in January. I swear you guys are totally in love.” Tao was very amused by all the bickering, while Kris looked like he wanted to smack the living out of Sehun if he weren’t already dead.

 

“Alright, break it up guys.” Chanyeol said, as Luhan dragged Sehun away from Kris. “I’ve got 6 coupons for karaoke. Let’s go have some fun!” Chanyeol gave tickets to everyone. Everyone grinned, while Baekhyun didn’t look too happy. “What’s wrong?” Tao asked.

 

Baekhyun smiled. “I’m not confident about singing, and I’m a bit claustrophobic.” Sehun slapped Baekhyun on the back roughly. Baekhyun almost fell. “Don’t be silly, you’re coming with us.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Hey! I wrote another chapter, so here it is! This was basically how Tao and Kris first met :3 I hope you enjoyed reading it :3

Wow I already have 10 subscribers!!!! You guys make me so happy ;w; I didn't think I get so many in only 2 chapters!! I love you all and thanks for your lovely comments :D 

Love you :D  *cookies for you all*