October 12th

Tears of December

Tao’s condition has stabilized enough to go outside, but not to go anything too energy-consuming. Kris pushed him out of the hospital, the familiar warmth spread across his chest whenever he was with Tao. It was stronger today, but he just dismissed it as a stronger bond between friends.

 

Just friends, right?

 

Lately, Kris had begun to doubt that, but he couldn’t much about his feelings. He never had much experience with his feelings because he kept them bottled up inside him. He didn’t show them to anyone, until he met Tao.

 

“Kris, where are we going?” Tao asked, breaking into his thoughts. Kris blinked. He didn’t know. “Uh… Let’s go to the grass field. The weather’s nice today.” Tao smiled. “Okay.” He smiled at people passing by, and pointed out little things like rocks and leaves.

 

They arrived at the grassy field and it was empty. But who in their right mind would go to a grassy field in the winter, when it was cold and uninviting? That’s how they liked it though. Kris and Tao liked being alone, away from the judging eyes of people who see them together.

 

Even when sitting, Kris was only an inch shorter than Tao and his wheelchair. “Can we lie down?” Tao said. Kris blinked. “Have you been watching dramas?” Tao blushed a little. “Maybe.” Kris smiled and carried Tao off his wheelchair. He was surprised by how light his body felt, and how it was mostly bones wrapped in skin. Kris easily lifted Tao off his wheelchair and set him gently on the ground.

 

“Wow it feels nice to do this again.” Tao says, smiling at the puffy white clouds rolling across the white winter sky. Kris lay down next to him, and gazed at the clouds too. “What do you mean again?” He turned his head so he could look at Tao.

 

Tao’s smile disappeared. “I wasn’t wheelchair ridden since forever, you know. I found out about my sickness when I was 13, so about 4 years ago. My biological parents had the some of the same symptoms as I did, and they were chronic. They abandoned me at birth, probably thinking I would just die. I’m guessing they didn’t have the funds for any kind of medical treatment.”

 

“I was always the weak child, because of my low immune system. I got bullied by the older children, and I never got enough to eat.” Tao laughed and swallowed. He seemed to be going through some tough memories. Kris reached out and took Tao’s hand out of impulse. Kris squeezed Tao’s hand, as if to say, ‘I’m here for you.’

 

“Then my parents, the ones I have now, came and adopted me.” Tao continued. They were a nice couple, taking in children who didn’t have enough. Mom and Dad were the type of people who hated to see others sad or hurt. Everyone at home was hurt in some way and looking for a place to call home.”

 

“I lived with them until I was 13. That was when I was transferred to the hospital. It started out as a cold, so Mom took me to our family doctor and gave us some cold medicine. My cold didn’t get any better. It got worse, and soon I couldn’t even move. They took me to the hospital, even though I told them I was fine and I didn’t need to. I knew how sick I was, but I didn’t want to impose too much on them. They were already so nice to me, and gave me somewhere to live. They gave me everything I have.”

 

A tear rolled down the side of Tao’s face and disappeared into the grass. Kris shuffled closer to Tao. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” Kris said quietly.

 

Tao shook his head. “I’m already this far in.” He continued his story. “I went to the hospital and they told me I have a special sort of heart disorder. I also had a minor blood problem where the oxygen couldn’t spread to my limbs fast enough. They told me that if I wanted to survive, I would have to do a surgery, which would let me live longer, but I would be paralyzed from hip down. I didn’t agree, because I knew my parents couldn’t afford it, but they wanted me to live.”

 

Kris’s eyes widened. “You didn’t want to live?” Tao’s eyes narrowed bitterly, but Kris noticed a hint of sadness. “Not really. I was always a burden to others. I couldn’t do anything to help anyone. I was even born as a mistake. I’m pretty sure my biological parents didn’t want to have me. Otherwise they wouldn’t have just thrown me away.”

 

Kris didn’t know what to say. He was the last person you would go to for emotional support. Even a rock was a better friend than Kris at times like these. “I… I’m so sorry Tao…” was all Kris could say.

 

Tao squeezed Kris’s hand. “It’s okay. I’m glad I decided to live though, cause I got to meet you!” Tao laughed, his eyes scrunching up. Kris blushed, but found himself smiling. “I’m glad I got to meet you too.” He said.

 

They lay there in silence for a little while longer, just watching the clouds roll by. Even though they weren’t saying anything, they enjoyed each other’s company. They never let go of each other’s hands once.

 

Finally, it was starting to get dark, so Kris carried Tao back to his wheelchair and started pushing him back to the hospital. Kris bought hot chocolate for Tao on the way back, laughing at the younger boy when he burnt his tongue on the hot drink. Kris though Tao was the cutest and funniest thing in the world.

 

They were almost at the hospital when fluffy white flakes drifted from the sky. Tao gasped and reached out the catch the snowflakes. “It’s snowing!” he said, his eyes wide. Tao laughed, and tried to snatch the cold substance out of the air.

 

“Kris, can I ask you a question?” Tao said, still fascinated by the snow. Kris blinked. “Sure.” Tao turned around to look at Kris. “What does it become when the snow melts?”

 

Kris frowned. Surely this question was too easy. “Water.” Kris answered.

 

Tao giggled. “Nope! Guess again.” Kris thought harder, but he couldn’t think of any other logical answer for Tao’s question other than water. “Tell me.” Kris said. Tao smiled, his eyes scrunching up in that cute way Kris loved.

 

“It becomes spring.”