November 23

Tears of December

Baekhyun put on a dark grey t-shirt and pulled a thick white sweater with the American flag design over it. Then he draped a dark blue scarf over his shoulders and neck. Finally, he fixed his hair, smoothing down any stray strands.

 

He honestly didn’t know why he was going on that date with Chanyeol. Maybe it was because a part of him wanted Chanyeol to tell him he loved him. Baekhyun no longer smiled when thought of Chanyeol. His face was full of doubt, and as he walked to the specially prepared lodge, he wondered if he was doing to right thing.

 

Slowly, the angel climbed the stairs, his expression sadder than it has ever been since he was alive. He let out a small gasp when he saw the setting. There was a table in the middle, with a fancy white tablecloth, gold edged chairs, and two plates of expensive looking spaghetti. Around the table, there were heart-shaped balloons, attached to ribbons and held down with a small bag of sand. Small candles were lit and placed next to balloons, while the rose petals strewn around the balloons caused a faint sweet smell to waft through the roof area.

 

The main attraction was standing facing away from Baekhyun, in a crimson sweater and a black bomber vest. His black jeans complimented his long legs, and when he turned around, Baekhyun wanted to cry. Everything was so beautiful, so perfect.

 

It was so stifling. 

 

Chanyeol motioned for Baekhyun to sit down first, so he did. He tried his best not to look at the taller male, but he snuck a glance every once in a while. Chanyeol sat down tentatively, which annoyed Baekhyun. He felt bad for feeling annoyed, but what could he do? Act like everything was okay?

 

“I asked for your favourite dessert, so save some room.” Chanyeol said jokingly, plastering an awkward smile on his face. Baekhyun glanced at him and looked away just as fast. He sipped his wine quietly, and then began to eat. His expression changed immediately as the fragrant spices and juicy meatballs created an explosion of flavour in his mouth.

 

Chanyeol smiled, watching his ex-boyfriend eat. “You never do that for my cooking.” He teased, his eyes slightly wistful. There was a tinge of sadness in his voice, and it showed in his smile too. Baekhyun blushed, remembering that strange omelet Chanyeol had made for him the morning before their trip to the countryside. Baekhyun lowered his head slightly and continued eating. Chanyeol let out a little sigh, and started eating too.

 

When they were finished, a waiter came and cleared their dishes, and brought out their dessert. Baekhyun’s eyes widened when a cup of chocolate strawberry parfait with extra whip cream was served to him. He looked at Chanyeol with wide eyes. “How do you know my favourite dessert?” He marveled at the precision of the strawberry roses that decorated the mountains of cream.

 

Chanyeol grinned. “We walked past a patisserie once and I saw you staring at it.” He leaned his head on his hand, looking at Baekhyun with his head tilted. That date and all the other dates came flooding back, pain stabbing at his heart. Chanyeol did his best to keep smiling, for Baekhyun’s sake.

 

Baekhyun blinked, trying to remember that date. He couldn’t remember so he ignored him and dug into the parfait. He let out a long moan as he took the first bite, cream sticking to the corners of his mouth. In no time, the parfait was gone, and Baekhyun patted his stomach in content. “That was the best parfait I have ever had.” He said. Chanyeol smiled. “I’m glad you like it, but I still have another… something to… present to you.”

 

Baekhyun frowned, and watched Chanyeol leave to get something. He waited a little bit, and then walked to the edge of the roof. He leaned on the railing, and stared at the sky. He remembered the wish he made last night.

 

I wish what Lay and Kai said wasn’t true. 

 

He let out a little laugh, as he thought about the stupidity of his wish. Devils were liars. He should have known better. However, he knew he still loved Chanyeol and that part of him wanted Lay and Kai to be lying. That part of him wanted Chanyeol to be telling the truth, that he did love him.

 

Chanyeol appeared beside Baekhyun with his hands in his pockets. He seemed to be playing with something inside his pocket, but it was too small to be able to make out what that object was. “I want to start by telling you what Lay and Kai said was partially true.”

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Okay, so you don’t love me.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. “No!” He said frantically. “That’s not what I meant.” He cleared his throat. “Satan did tell me to make me fall in love with you, but I wasn’t supposed to fall in love with you. I know this sounds really stupid and cheesy, but Baekhyun, I wouldn’t know what to do without you. Before I saw you, I was lost. I wasn’t like Lay and Kai, who had fun just by causing trouble. I wasn’t like Luhan and Sehun because they had each other. I had no one. I’ve been dead for the last 20 years, and every time I see someone I used to know, they don’t remember me at all. They’ve all grown up and moved on. I saw my best friend before we came here. He has a wife, a child. My chance at a normal life was taken away. Do you know how alone I am?”

 

Chanyeol paused, closing his eyes. All his old memories and feelings shook the cage he locked them in. He fought to bottle them up again, rebuilding that wall he kept tightly wrapped around his emotions.  Baekhyun felt like his heart was going to crack into two, but he kept a straight face. He couldn’t hurt himself any longer by dating a guy when it was all just a ruse to send him to hell.

 

Chanyeol opened his eyes and continued speaking. “What I’m trying to say is I want you back, Baekhyun. I finally feel happiness after 20 long years, and now it’s been ripped away from me. Baekhyun please. I want you back.” Chanyeol gently took Baekhyun’s hand and slipped something onto Baekhyun’s finger.

 

It was a silver ring.

Baekhyun gasped at the silver object around his middle finger. It had the words ‘More Than Forever’ engraved on it. Although it was simple, it held meaning, and it brought tears to his eyes.

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol with wide eyes. Chanyeol smiled sadly and leaned a little closer. Baekhyun stared at his perfectly sculpted face, his large dark orbs, and the way his orange hair fell over his eyebrows so nicely. A tear rolled down Chanyeol’s face as he cupped Baekhyun’s with his long, slender fingers. “Even if I wasn’t supposed to fall in love with you, I love you. I’m so glad I met you and that I did fall in love with you. I love you so, so, so much.”

 

Something about that last part made Baekhyun irritated. He pushed Chanyeol away. “You weren’t supposed to fall in love with me? So you still want to believe in Satan’s little game?” Baekhyun hissed.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. “No, I just want to------”

 

“You don’t understand, Chanyeol. You don’t get it!” Baekhyun screamed, his voice wavering. “I never knew love, even when I was alive. God gave me another chance and I failed. I didn’t protect that girl, the night she went to that party. I failed my duties as a guardian angel.”

 

A tear crawled down Baekhyun’s cheek, and Chanyeol longed to wipe it away, and hold him. Unfortunately, Baekhyun’s emotional state was like a thin sheet of ice. A single touch could shatter it into a million pieces. “Baekhyun, I----”

 

“Don’t interrupt me!” Baekhyun yelled, cutting Chanyeol off. “God sent me down here to find love, and if I don’t find it before midnight of New Year’s, I’ll be a fallen angel and be stuck here forever. I won’t age, I can’t die. But that’s okay, cause it looks like either way I’ll be in hell. Even if you love me, as in truly love me, I can’t stay here on earth, and live the rest of my life as a human.”

 

Tears streamed down Baekhyun’s face, and he wiped them away angrily. “You probably don’t care though, since you never loved me in the first place.”

 

Chanyeol suddenly snapped, fed up with Baekhyun’s screaming. “I do love you, okay? I’ve loved you for so long, but you are too damn good to open up to me. Everything I do for you is never enough, is it?”

 

Baekhyun stood in a stunned silence. Angry Chanyeol was something no one ever really saw. Baekhyun hadn’t seen that side of him since the fight about Xiumin. But what Baekhyun didn’t know was that Chanyeol’s walls only fell when he was with him. Only Baekhyun could make him explode with anger, or cry in pain.

 

The next thing Chanyeol said confirmed Baekhyun’s worst fears and severed that tiny thread of hope they were both holding onto. “You know what, Baekhyun? You’re right. You’ll end up in a hell anyway, so I don’t even have to do anything. You can fall in love with me, and I can fall in love with you, but the outcome will be the same.”

 

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun with teary and pain-filled eyes. The sight in front of him made Chanyeol’s heart break even more than it already was, but he couldn’t take back what he said.

 

“I’m not trying anymore. You can do whatever you want.”

 

Baekhyun blinked once before slapping Chanyeol hard across the face. The carved design on the ring made a long cut across his face, but the latter showed no reaction at all. “You don’t know me! You don’t know my past, you don’t know my pain, you know nothing!” Baekhyun’s voice cracked from his high-pitched screaming. Chanyeol still had his head turned, quiet tears dripping down his face. This angered Baekhyun even more, so he took the ring off and threw it off the roof. Then he stormed away, sobbing loudly.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Yeah I know this is like a super long chapter, for my standards anyway LOL I hope it wasn't that sad... Uh... *runs away*

I hope you all got my comment replies! Yes? Okay! *bows*

Thanks for reading, and for commenting! I love you all *blows kisses* Please read my canon story to Tears of December, called Revenge is Bittersweet. It features Hunhan, and what their past was like, etc. etc. So yeah, they obviously die in the end, (oops spoiler LOL Don't tell anyone XD) But read it!! I think I did a good job on the plot :D

Thanks everyone for reading!! I love you all and I will try to update as soon as possible :D