December 16th

Tears of December

 

 

EDIT: SORRY GUYS I HAD TO FIX THIS CHAPTER SO I ACCIDENTALLY PUT IT ON DO NOT DISPLAY AND FORGOT TO CHANGE IT. I edited some more so here you are, sorry for the delay OTL OTL

 

 

Snow fell gently as Kris strolled through the streets, carrying a box of Tao’s favourite cake. He adjusted his scarf to cover more of his face, trying to keep the freezing air away.

 

Girls giggled as he walked past, since he was rich, tall, handsome, smart, and much more friendly than before. Kris gave them a small nod. Tao had changed him into a completely different person. Kris was now relatively kind, instead of the cold, quiet person he used to be. He pondered this thought as made his way to the hospital.

 

He greeted the receptionist behind the front desk of the hospital with a small smile, causing her to blush. Kris continued down the hall, his spirits relatively high. Today is going to be a good day, he thought to himself.

 

As he turned down the corner, a strange knot twisted in his stomach. There was a doctor standing outside Tao’s room, and the door was closed. The doctor was talking to a couple, the man and woman both around 50 years old. The man had his arm around the woman, who was weeping silently. Kris recognized them as Tao’s adopted parents.

 

The knot grew more painful as Kris neared the room. As soon as he was within earshot, he heard, “… everything we can to help him. Don’t give up hope.” The doctor had a morbid expression on as he turned and saw Kris.

 

“What’s going on?” Kris asked. The doctor saw Kris and his expression fell. “Umm… Tao’s condition…” Kris suppressed the urge to grab the doctor and throw him against the wall. “What happened?” He asked again.

 

The doctor sighed. “This morning when we came to check on Tao, his breathing was so faint we thought he had died. We saved him, of course, but we ran some tests and his heart is so damaged from keeping him alive for so long. It’s truly amazing that he survived until this day, but we fear he may have come to the end of the road.”

 

Kris’s heart plummeted to the bottom of his stomach. “What about the transplants, is it possible that you could save him?” His voice had a hint of despair.

 

The doctor shook his head. “We’ve been trying to find a heart suitable for him since he was small, but we haven’t found one. Also, if we perform a heart transplant in his weak state, there is very little chance he will survive.” The sadness was evident in his voice, for he too wanted to save the boy that brought life to the dreary hospital.

 

“You can’t just let him die! I’ll give him my heart!” Kris yelled. The doctor smiled sadly. “Tao told us not to let you give him your heart.” A strangled noise came out of Kris’s mouth. Tao knew him so well, it hurt.

 

Kris ran a hand through his hair, forcing his tears back into their sockets. “Isn’t there anything you can do? I’ll pay for his medical fees, just please…” Kris trailed off. “Please…”

 

The doctor patted him on the shoulder. “We will do everything we can to save him.” The doctor walked away, his lab coat streaming behind him.

 

Kris shuffled dejectedly out of the hospital, finding the snow had turned to rain. Tao doesn’t like rain. Kris thought, clenching his fist around the grocery bag with the cake that was supposed to be for Tao.

 

As Kris slowly walked home, the rain making dark spots on his clothes, his mind swirled with thoughts. The main character usually gets a happy ending, right? Cause he or she has to have a conflict. After the main character’s lowest point, he or she gets a happy ending, right?

 

Why do I feel like I’m not going to get one?

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Kris stayed at the hospital for the next five days, not leaving even after visiting hours. He only left to buy food, quickly coming back in case something happened to Tao. He slept on the chair next to Tao's bed, often waking up. He was scared. Scared that something

 

Tao was lying on his bed, his skin pale and cheeks hollow. The dark circles under his eyes were especially dark today, and there seemed to be an aura of death surrounding him. One of his arms was resting on the blanket instead of tucked under. It was like a skeleton wrapped in skin. Various machines beeped quietly, their sensors connected to Tao’s arm.

 

Kris almost choked everytime he woke up, seeing the state his boyfriend was in. There was no happy, sunshine-like boy who usually greeted him with the bright smile. Kris’s heart was in shambles, but he refused to show it

 

Kris immediately took Tao’s hand in his, and gasped as the cold, clammy skin met his. “Tao, what happened to you?” Kris whispered. He was on the verge of crying, but he didn’t want to cry. He didn’t want to show his weakness.

 

Tao’s eyelids fluttered, and he turned his head slightly to face Kris. “Kris?” He rasped. His voice had only the slight melodic tinge it used to have, but Kris found it beautiful. “Tao… don’t go… please.” Kris’s bottom lip quivered as he held back his tears.

 

The corners of Tao’s once rosy lips moved slightly, trying to form a smile. “I’m right here. I’m not going anywhere.” He said, giving Kris’s hand a little squeeze. He coughed, beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

 

Kris brushed Tao’s bangs away from his eyes. “Don’t try to talk. Save your energy for getting better.” Tao wanted to say he wasn’t going to get better, but that would upset Kris. Kris didn’t need to be more hurt than he already was.

 

“You know, we should have another party.” Tao said, making a thinking face. Kris blinked, surprised by Tao’s request. “A party?” He said.

 

Tao bobbed his head as best as he could. “Yeah but with only Luhan, Sehun, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol. I would ask for more people, but it would disturb the other patients.” Kris didn’t know how to respond to Tao, who still wanted to have fun even at death’s door. This was what he loved about the panda-like boy though. He was a ball of energy that no one could stop.

 

“Okay, let’s have a party. I’ll call them to come here tomorrow.” Kris smiled, patting Tao’s head. He always did whatever Tao wanted him to do, no matter how silly the request. His sickness didn’t change a thing. “You get some rest, okay?” Kris said. Tao nodded. “Okay.”

 

Kris stood up to leave, but heard Tao yell, “Wait!” It was faint, but if Tao was five miles away, Kris could hear him. “Yes?” He said.

 

“Kris, I love you.”

 

Kris’s eyes widened, and after the initial shock, his face flushed pink. “I love you too.” Involuntarily, Kris leaned down and kissed Tao on the lips.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in so long!!! OTL OTL I was busy with tests and school work OTL

I'M AT 90 SUBBIES~~~~ I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH~~~~ <3 <3 <3 OMG This is a record for me. I've never gotten this many subscribers for a single story before. Thanks everyone!!! I'll continue to write :)

I'll be updating again as soon as possible, and I'll be starting a new story after I finish this one. I already have a bunch of ideas in mind, but I don't know which one ot use. I'm not sure which one would be good... OTL And I realize most of my stories are similar LOL OTL

It'll be an EXO story as well, so if you want to hear my ideas, tell me in the comments. Maybe I'll make a poll to see which one you guys want to read.

Until next time, my wonderful and awesomely awesome readers!!! Saranghaeyo <3