November 1st

Tears of December

“Dad. Can I talk to you?” Kris said, confronting his father. His father didn’t look up from his newspaper, but Kris assumed he had his attention. “I’ve been going to see Tao every day since you’ve locked me up.”

 

His Dad put down the newspaper and looked at Kris. Kris could see anger beginning to churn in his irises, but Kris knew it was now or never. “I don’t care about business, Dad.” Kris said, putting as much confidence into his voice as possible. “I never wanted to become a doctor, and I don’t want to take over the hospital. Ever since Mom left, everything in my life has taken a downward spiral.”

 

Kris paused for a moment, thinking about his next words. His father stood and said in an icy voice. “So what do you mean?” Kris gulped. He forced himself to continue with his confession. “Tao turned my life around, Dad. He gave me something to look forward to, and a light to follow. I don’t care if you think being gay is a disease, cause I sure don’t.” His voice gained a new strength, as if thinking about Tao gave him the courage to stand up to his father.

 

“I’m in love, Dad. I’m in love with a guy, and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.” Kris headed for the door, but something large whizzed past his head. The object fell to the floor and smashed to pieces. He froze mid-stride. “Kris. Come here this instant.”

 

He only turned around to face his father, but made no move to close the gap. Kris’s father glared at Kris so hard he swore his eyes were going to pop out. “When you leave this room, you are no longer my son. Do you understand this? You are going to be paying for the rest of your studies by yourself, and you will get no money from me, or uncle, and anybody in my family.” Kris flinched slightly when he said ‘my’ family instead of ‘our’ family. “You will lose all contact with me, and you are never allowed to set foot in my house ever again.”

 

Kris snorted. “Good, cause I hate living alone anyway. I have a private bank account too, Dad. Where else do you think I have so much money to buy myself things? Also, I don’t care about being your son. You’ve changed so much, I can’t even call you Dad anymore.”

 

Kris turned around and stormed out of the hotel room. However, right before he left, he heard his dad say, “That Tao kid is going to die anyway. His days are numbered.”

 

Kris’s heart plummeted, but he was determined not to let that be true.

 

Kris made his way to the hospital, excited to see Tao again. He was used to this feeling now, instead of the confusion that came along with it before. Now it was a part of his daily routine. Besides, he was a genius so he didn’t need to attend lectures to get a good grade.

 

Kris arrived at the hospital and headed to Tao’s room. The nurses saw him as a regular and greeted him as he passed them in the hallways. Suddenly he stopped abruptly in the middle of the hall and heard a small ‘eep’ from behind him. “Have you been following me this whole time?” Kris said, with a smirk. He turned around and saw Tao, his face red with embarrassment. “N-No. I just started following you.” Kris smiled and ruffled the boy’s hair. “I’m just playing. Don’t worry your pretty little head about it.”

 

“Hey! I’m not pretty.” Tao huffed indignantly. “I’m a man.” He puffed out his chest, attempting to seem more masculine. Kris laughed. “Okay. Whatever you say. Where do you want to go today?” Kris asked, his eyes shining with expectancy.

 

Tao’s expression saddened. “I actually wanted to talk to you about something…” Kris sensed something was wrong. “Okay, let’s go into your room and talk then.” Kris advanced towards his wheelchair, but Tao backed up, not letting Kris touch him. Kris felt pain stab his heart. “T-Tao, what’s wrong?”

 

Tao looked away, but Kris noticed his eyes were shining. “I-I overheard the doctors talking…” More painful needles stabbed through Kris’s heart. Was Tao about to confirm his worse nightmare?

 

“They said I won’t survive. I’ll be dead before New Year’s.” Tears began to drip down Tao’s face, and Kris wanted so badly just to hold him. He took a step forward, but Tao pushed himself back. “Don’t touch me!” he said, his voice cracking.

 

Kris was surprised by the sudden outburst. “W-Why?” He said. Tao blinked through the tears. “Why?” He gripped the wheels so his wheelchair so hard his knuckles turned white. “If you stay with me, you’ll only get hurt in the end. I don’t want to hurt you anymore. You’ve done so much for me. You deserve to be happy.”

 

Kris felt tears sting his eyes. “But you make me happy. I don’t have anything else on this earth. I only have you.” He said. This can’t be happening. He thought. Not now. Not ever.

 

Tao wiped his eyes. “Just go.” He said. Kris didn’t know what to say. He didn’t have anything to say. Even if he did, it was like there was a large clamp over his throat, and no sound would come out.

 

Tao’s face twisted into something like sad anger. “What are you still doing here? Go!” He yelled, his voice cracking again. His body was shaking from trying to contain his sobs, but small whimpers leaked from his mouth.

 

Kris blinked once, then said, “I’m sorry, Tao. I hurt you the most, and I don’t know if I can fix that. I want you to know that you gave my life a purpose, and even if that’s just coming to see you everyday, you made me happy. I’ll make it up to you by leaving, if that’s what you want.”

 

Kris gently smiled and realized he too was about to cry. While Tao was still dazed from his words, Kris walked towards him and patted his head a single time. “I’m not satisfied just with this. I’ll keep making it up to you until we’re both happy.” With that Kris turned and left Tao alone in the cold, white hallway.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Hey! Sorry for not updating in a while, I've had exams and stuff. I know its summer. I still have school. *flips table*

But I have my last test on the 14th, so I will have the next update after that date!! :D So please bear with me, I'm sorry. I left you guys at a cliffhanger too *hides*

Thanks so much for subscribing everyone!!! I gained almost 10 subscribers suddenly and you don't know how happy that makes me feel!! :D *hugs you all* Thanks for reading!!! I promise that I will have an update up on the 15th :)