A special interview

Everyday Miracles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You do know that the normal salary, even when there are four kids, is about 1/3 of what you just offered?" Leeteuk asked incredulously while staring at the man in front of him as if he was completely insane.

Kangin chuckled in amusement. "Yes, I know," he offered with a small smile. He felt extremely happy to get the fact that Leeteuk was not greedy for the money confirmed. He hadn’t thought so, but it was nice to know for certain that the man’s main objective was to take care of the children, not to earn money.

"You don't expect me to do anything illegal on the side, do you?" Leeteuk asked warily, not sure what to do if that was the case.

Kangin burst out laughing at Leeteuk's worried expression. "No, I don't," he chuckled once his laughter had died off a little. "I am convinced that you are what my family needs. I cannot provide it by myself, but I am willing to pay the person who can generously. I want the best for all my kids and no amount of money is too big to make sure that they are healthy and happy. You have only been here for a little over an hour and you have already gotten the twins to listen to you without any objections and you made Wookie so comfortable that he fell asleep without trouble." He gestured to the still soundly asleep toddler on Leeteuk's front. "You have worked wonders already and I am ready to go down on my knees and beg if that is necessary to make you stay," he finished in a serious tone.

Leeteuk was sure he had never met a person so dedicated to his family. He felt very lucky that he had found this family and he would be more than happy to work for this man but there was something... Something he needed to confess that might very well lose him the job he had just been offered. "There is something I should tell you. I'm gay. Most people are not comfortable with that and I understand completely if you want to withdraw your offer," Leeteuk said, voice a little subdued and disappointed, already preparing to remove the sleeping toddler and leave the house.

Kangin seemed totally unfazed by the confession; he even smiled. "That is completely fine by me. Henry is gay too. When his boyfriend, Kyuhyun, comes to pick him up every once in a while they act like teenagers," he laughed. "Seriously though, I don't mind at all. I admire you for telling me upfront but that won’t be an issue," Kangin pointed out with a sincere smile. Leeteuk drew a breath in relief. 

“So, I guess I should tell you some of the basics now, since the little bunny is sleeping which makes a house tour a bit difficult,” Kangin chuckled. A second later his smile was gone and he looked horrified. “Oh my God, I haven’t even asked you if it was okay that he slept on you, I was just so happy he finally got some peaceful sleep, I am so sorry, I-“ he started to say frantically.

Now it was Leeteuk’s turn to chuckle. “I don’t mind the slightest,” he admitted with a sincere smile. “I find it very relaxing actually. Besides, if it’s comforting for him I don’t want to take that away from him,” he continued and Kangin relaxed visibly and sat back comfortably.

“I’m sorry. When it comes to my kids I guess I can be a bit blind sometimes,” he mumbled sheepishly and Leeteuk laughed out loud.

“What parent isn’t?” he asked and Kangin smiled back at him, relieved that the other understood. “Is there anything you would like to know about me, any questions, weird habits or anything?” Leeteuk then asked, figuring that he might as well tell about himself before he heard more about the family. He already felt a burning desire to work here, so he figured that he would rather want a possible rejection before he heard more about the family and fell more in love with them.

“Well, you can tell me why you chose your education and occupation if you want to?” Kangin inquired, genuinely interested. Nannies were usually female so a male applicant - and a male applicant with this kind of educational background at that -, was a bit of a treasure to find.

Leeteuk seemed to blush slightly. “Well… It kind of has to do with me being gay,” he started hesitantly. He was urged on by an encouraging smile from the listening male. “I have always wanted to have a family and kids of my own. It has always been my dream, but when I was in high school and realised that I liked boys instead of girls, that dream seemed to shatter in front of my eyes. I spent quite some time being depressed about that until I decided that even if I could not have my own family I could still be around kids every day and be a parental figure even just for a while. It just seemed like the best choice when I considered the options,” he finished.

Kangin looked deep in thought for a little while before speaking up again. “Couldn’t you adopt, though?” he asked with a small frown.

“If I lived in somewhere in the West, maybe. I did some research already back then; gay couples can rarely adopt here and especially not a single gay man. Society is just not ready for that,” Leeteuk observed with a shrug even though he was talking about one of the biggest let downs he had ever had in his life. He had kind of come to terms with it even though it had taken a long time to accept that society didn’t see him as being fit to raise a child. 

Kangin gave him a sad, understanding smile. “I see. It is quite unfair, really. My best friend is gay too and he and his partner immigrated to the US just to be able to adopt. They stayed there for some years and came back here again after they got Sungmin, Wookie’s playmate. They also have Yesung, an older boy a little younger than Siwon. Maybe that would be a possibility for you?” he asked, hoping to be able to help the man fulfil his dream in some way. It was strange; they had just met after all, but he already felt comfortable around the male and he wanted the best for him.

“Maybe,” Leeteuk agreed with a smiled. “But not for the next year, at the least,” he reminded Kangin, his smile widening as he turned the conversation back to the real reason they were si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter