Witness

Everyday Miracles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Leeteuk had left the room with Ryeowook, the silence seemed to ring through the air in the courtroom. The judge cleared his throat and awkwardly shuffled through the file on his desk to avoid Kangin’s death glare.

 

“I... I think I need an explanation for what just happened,” he finally said and looked up from the file to see if anyone was ready to explain.

 

“I thought it was pretty clear; they manipulated my son into hating me!” Sora exclaimed shrilly, a perfectly manicured finger pointing accusingly at Kangin.

 

“You cannot manipulate a two year old to do something like that, Sora! Wake up and face the consequences of you leaving!” Kangin all but bellowed, anger bubbling under his skin. He was furious at the judge for causing Ryeowook to have a panic attack and even more furious at Sora for dragging them into this in the first place and showing no empathy what so ever for what she had done to her sons by leaving them so suddenly.

 

“Even though I agree with Mr. Kim on that the two of you have to be quiet unless I ask you to speak,” the judge interrupted curtly. “From now on we are going to use the stand. The person in the stand is the only one speaking safe me and the lawyers during questioning, understood?”

 

Both Sora and Kangin nodded grudgingly, glaring angrily at each other.

 

“Good. Now I want an explanation, preferably from someone who isn’t you two. Do any of your witnesses know what happened?”

 

Hangeng stood up immediately, back straightened. “Jungsoo called me right after the event in question when he couldn’t reach Youngwoon, so I was with him half an hour after the confrontation.”

 

“Please come to the stand, present yourself and your relationship to the boys in question and then the event,” the judge ordered. Hangeng complied, squeezing Heechul’s hand on the way before he took the stand and looked up to face the room.

 

“I’m Kim Han Geng, I’m married to Kim Heechul who has been Youngwoon’s best friend since they went to high school together. My husband and I are godfathers to all four boys and we consider them our nephews while they call us both uncles. We see them often as they love to play with our two boys, who match in age with Siwon, the oldest, and Ryeowook, the youngest.” Hangeng explained in detail, making sure to mention all the little details that would be important to an outsider in judging whether or not he and Heechul was close to their nephews. He paused, giving the judge time to jot down whatever notes he wanted, continuing when the judge looked up and nodded.

 

“As I understood it, Jungsoo and Ryeowook had walked the other three boys to school and then went to a park nearby so they could play. When Jungsoo had given Ryeowook the carrots he had brought as a snack he went to throw the wrapping out while Ryeowook was playing in the sand. As he threw it out he heard Ryeowook yell ‘No’ and ran back to where Sora had picked Ryeowook up. Jungsoo has never met Sora and I don’t think he has seen a picture of her either, so he didn’t know who she was, just that Ryeowook was distraught. He took Ryeowook and asked Sora who she was. Sora said she was Ryeowook’s mother and Ryeowook yelled at her and told her that she was not his mother, Jungsoo was. She told him to say hi to Youngwoon and then she left. Jungsoo hurried home and called Youngwoon and me on the way. When I got there Ryeowook was having a panic attack and was clinging to Jungsoo as if he was afraid he would leave.”

 

“Is the recount of what happened at the park correct, Mrs. Kim? Yes or no?” the judge asked, not wanting a long explanation of why it had happened. Sora looked like she had swallowed a lemon but nodded nevertheless. “Thank you, Mr. Kim, you may sit down again.”

 

 

“It’s okay Wook. It’s okay. No one is going to take you away,” Leeteuk chanted while gently bobbing Ryeowook on his hip to make him calm down. The toddler was sniffling and pressing himself close to Leeteuk but he had stopped screaming.

 

“Is he okay?” Heechul asked worriedly after having left the courtroom unnoticed to check on his nephew and his friend. Ryeowook looked up at Heechul and reached a hand out but he still stayed pressed against Leeteuk. Heechul took the hand immediately, stepping close enough to Ryeowook and Leeteuk so Ryeowook’s back met his stomach.

 

“I think so. He calmed down a lot quicker this time. Maybe because it’s the second time it happened and I didn’t leave him the first so he trusts I won’t leave now,” Leeteuk rambled nervously, on edge and ready to freak out any second.

 

“Hey, it’s okay, Teukie. The judge is on your side. I’m pretty sure he is only continuing right now because he needs to in order to not look biased,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter