Joining the pack

Everyday Miracles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk arrived at the Kim-house at 1pm the next day with two trolleys and a teddy stuffed under his left arm. He pressed the buzzer at the gate once again.

“Leeteuk! Come in!” Henry, the chipmunk-like assistant chirped on the other end before there was a small beep and the gates opened while Leeteuk chuckled lightly. He walked up to the door, dragging the two trolleys, where Henry waited for him with a huge smile. “Let me help you with these,” he offered as he took one of the trolleys. Just as they entered the house, Kangin came down the stairs to join them.

“Here, let me take those,” he said and took the bags from a pouting Henry.

Leeteuk just smiled. “Where are the kids?” he asked while ascending the stairs; the house seemed very quiet compared to yesterday.

“Wookie is sleeping, Siwon is reading, and the twins are in the garden,” Kangin informed as he opened the door to Leeteuk’s new room. He placed the trolleys against the wall. “I’ll just show you the linen and towel closet, it’s just down the hall,” he offered with a smile and motioned for Leeteuk to follow him. “You just take what you need, when you need it,” he instructed as he opened the closet and showed Leeteuk where everything was. “I will let you unpack and when you are done you can just come downstairs. I’ll be in the kitchen,” he informed and led Leeteuk back to his room. “Oh, by the way, I hope you don’t mind that I speak informally to you,” he added a bit sheepish. “It’s just that the kids get confused when they call you one thing and I call you another. Plus, I want you to feel comfortable and at home here.”

“It’s fine,” Leeteuk said, sending a smile back. He didn’t mind at all; in fact, it made him feel welcome and already part of the family. He gave Kangin a nod before going into the room to unpack. He ped the first trolley, revealing most of his clothes, and began to separate the trousers from the shirts, and the underwear from the socks and so on as he placed it in the chest of drawers he assumed was for his clothes. He decided to open the doors to the balcony to let in some fresh air before unpacking the second trolley. In the garden, between the neatly cut bushes, he saw two tops of hair running around and guessed that he had found the twins. He smiled to himself and went back to the second trolley which was considerably smaller than the first. It contained books, various little figurines, one picture, and other small things. The picture showed Leeteuk sitting with his back against another male’s chest under a big tree. He cringed as he saw it and decided to hide it under his socks as far back in the drawer as possible. He had only kept that picture as a reminder that things were not always what they seemed. When he deemed that he was as organised as he could be, he made his way down to the kitchen, bringing the teddy with him so he could show it to Ryeowook when the toddler woke up. He found Kangin typing away on a computer in the big kitchen. Apart from the kitchen-part of the room, there was a dining table and a sofa set following the curve of the room as the long room was rounded in that end with windows all around providing a nice view of the garden, almost like a very large bay window.

“All settled?” Kangin asked as he looked up from his computer. Leeteuk nodded. “Want a cup of coffee?” he offered, stretching his arms above his head until his back gave a little pop and he groaned in satisfaction.

“Yes, please,” Leeteuk answered gratefully. He actually felt a bit tired since he had had troubles falling asleep the night before, being extremely elated and very excited about this job and how it would all work out.

Kangin stood up to turn the coffee maker on as Leeteuk placed the teddy he had brought down with him on the kitchen isle. “I was just finishing a business contract,” he explained as he pointed back towards the computer. “Luckily I have been able to work from home since the last nanny left, but I am kind of needed at the office and it is rather stressful to work from home. I always end up staying up way too late to finish whatever I didn’t do during the day because I was playing with the boys instead,” he admitted with a small smile before sighing. “I really hope that we can create a consistent and stable everyday life for them. It would be better for all of us,” he said as he poured the coffee into a mug and handed it to Leeteuk.

“I am sure that things will be easier once I am familiar with you all. It’s easier when there are two pairs of hands. I can imagine how stressful the last couple of months have been for you,” Leeteuk sympathised before taking a sip of the coffee. “I admire that you keep trying to do what you think is best for you kids, though. I know a lot of people who would just have given up by now.”

“Well, I love my kids more than anything,” Kangin remarked while looking out the window to where Donghae and Hyukjae were playing around with a football. “All the sleep I have lost, all the business deals that have gone down the drain, it’s all worth it if I can give my kids the best possible safety net and a good foundation in life,” he declared as he turned his gaze to Leeteuk. He normally didn’t mind talking about himself or his kids, but Leeteuk made him feel even more comfortable than usual.

“Kangin, some papers just arrived from ELF inc. that you need to look at,” Henry informed as he entered the room with the papers. He looked a bit flushed and dishevelled and seemed to be panting slightly.

“Thank you, Henry,” Kangin said and took the papers with a knowing smile. “Now go home with that boyfriend of yours, I don’t want you taking away my kids’ innocence by doing naughty things in my hallway,” he remarked playfully and Henry blushed even more. Leeteuk figured that it meant Henry’s boyfriend was here to pick him up.

“Bye Leeteuk, see you tomorrow,” the younger man said before eagerly making

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter