Apologies

Only You

 

Picture cr: heyshinee.tumblr

 

“I’m…sorry. I’m so sorry,” you apologize profusely without knowing why. “I’m really, really sorry. I’m so incredibly very sorry…”

'I’m sorry for asking you repeatedly to like me. I’m sorry because of Krystal, and I’m sorry that you’re you. I’m sorry you’ve lived like this and I’m really sorry that I love you so much.

…Even though you can’t help who you fall in love with.'

You don’t even realize that tears were streaming down your face until Kris reaches over and wipes them away.

“Hey,” he says gently, “Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. If anything, I’m sorry. For telling you all of this,” he sighs heavily. “I knew you wouldn’t be able to handle it.”

“Hey!” You hiccup once and slap Kris’ arm. “I can handle it just fine! It’s just…your life, the way you’ve lived, it’s both terribly heartbreaking and so brave and-!”

Kris slaps a hand over your mouth. “Yes, I know. I’m cool and strong and the-,” he throws his head back and looks up at the night skies dramatically, “-Savior of all women.”

A shriek of laughter escapes from behind Kris’ hand, and Kris glances at you surprisedly. 

“You laugh ugly,” he says bluntly.

You pout. “I have a cute laugh!” You protest.

“No, I have a cute laugh,” he corrects you.

“You do not! You have a-…a testosterone-filled laugh,” you claim with a smirk.

Kris laughs and you feel a wisp of warmth curl happily inside you.

You cautiously lean over and rest your head against Kris’ shoulder. Every one of your nerves is on hyper-alert. 

With a start, you realize you’ve never felt like this about Kris before. It used to be all about him returning your feelings, and wanting to be with you. Now you just wanted him by your side.

“I’m sorry,” you repeat softly.

Kris tilts his head until his cheek is resting on your hair. 

“I’m not. There’s something about sharing all your troubles with someone that really sets you free. So…thank you.” Kris turns his head slightly, his lips in your hair. “Thanks,” he murmurs, “For understanding.”

You shiver, and you’re completely sure it was not because of the temperature.

Something unsaid passed between you and Kris that night, something not as deep as love, but deeper than mere friendship. 

 

A passionate mutual understanding of sorts.

 


(Sorry for being an ) 

Sequel: The Other Side