A Love That Can't be Forced

Only You

“Don't apologize if you're not truly sorry.”

 

“Chen!” You burst into tears. You hadn't meant for it to turn out this way. You had come to reconcile with Chen, not pick a fight and drive a chainsaw through his emotions.

You see him flinch for a brief second; it's the most human thing you've seen him do in the past 10 minutes.

“Leave.” Chen says, his voice hard.

“Chen-!” You protest, but he cuts you off.

“Just leave.”

“Chen, I'm not leav-”

“Then kiss me.”

Your head snaps up, eyes widening. Chen's eyes are trained on the ground near your feet, still blank.

“Chen, I-”

“If you really loved me, you would prove it.” 

“Chen, I can't-”

“Then leave. You either love me or leave me. Your choice.” His voice is an emotionless monotone.

You consider it for a moment. Surely, you could do something this insignificant to save your friendship with Chen?

“Fine.” You surrender. “But just once.”

Chen doesn't move, and you swallow hard. You move closer to him, and you see his eyes flick upwards. He looks you solidly in the eye and you feel your lower lip tremble. This was not the Chen you knew. Blinking back tears, you put your nose to his.

“C-close your eyes, Chen.” You mutter. He shakes his head slightly, and you move forward to kiss him.

Just as your lips brush his, he rips himself away from you, pushing you back.

“Stop!” He cries. His eyes are back to the floor. “I don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to do.” He whispers, and you see his eyes well up with tears. “I'm sorry.”

Then he gives a choked laugh. “Isn't this exactly like the other day, when I came to your house?” He laughs and wipes his tears away. “Why can't I be more like him? Why can't I bring myself...to...” He trails off, falling silent once again.

“Because you're my friend, Chen.” You say gently. “And friends don't hurt friends.” You put a hand atop his, confident that he was now back to normal.

“Chen, I really love you. For real, I do. But only as a friend. I think you love me as a friend too. You're just confusing it with romantic love. One day you'll definitely find someone who will love you in the romantic way, and maybe you'll be happy together. But for now, let's-” Your inspiring speech is interrupted by the opening of the door.

Mrs. Kim is standing there, holding a little tray of tea and smiling brightly.

“So, who wants tea?” She chirps.


>.< i didn't want them to fight for more than a chapter or so, because I really love Chen
he seems like a cheery guy, not a fighter...so...yeah...*trails off awkwardly* :P

Remember: Comments = Love = Updates, so remember to comment! <3
btw, 
shahirashera did what you think would happen, happen?

Chapter 17 Preview: "I think I'll stay here for awhile."