Chapter 40 : Different

Who says Archeology is lame? [Discontinued]

Chapter 40 _ Different

 

**

“Geez, why do you look so excited?” Taecyeon asks as he stands in front of Yuri who’s basically b in happiness whilst reading some weird paper *bear in mind, this guy doesn’t gives a damn about his part time job. Who could blame him?

“They say that anything is possible in New York City…”

“They lied, people say I can hook up with Jessica Jung, but I didn’t, because my of a cousin wouldn’t want to help me…”

Yul gives her cousin a blank stare “Anyway, we are planning on turning on one of the world’s most modern cities into an archeological dig”

Taecyeon looks bored “Why is it everything that came out from your mouth is snore worthy?”

Ignoring the ape looking cousin, Yuri continues on her explanations “Last week, I went down to meet utility companies since they asked me to check out some stuff that they discovered while digging under the streets of Manhattan. Guess what I have just discovered?”

Taecyeon smirk “Atlantis?”

“No Dimwit. I found thousands of artifacts, such as an 18th century bone toothbrush with animals bristle, wine and champagne bottles corked centuries ago…”

“I don’t get why you would get excited over a toothbrush. A fckin toothbrush. Oh God. You need a life” Taecyeon shook his head.

“Not only that, A copper half-penny and a pair of children’s shoes are some of the other remnant of early New York life in lower Manhattan”

“I’ll give you a full penny if that’s makes you happy. What are those utilities guys up to in the first place anyway?”

“They’re developing the South Street Seaport area, anyway, are you even listening to me? This is my next awesome project!” Yul spoke with such excitement

“No wonder you’ve been busy with ty paperwork since last week” Taecyeon says as he sip his morning coffee

“Taec! You have to understand, our partner Chrysalis Archeology report that more than 100 liquor bottles from the 18th century were discovered under a 15th foot stretch of Fulton street, near Wall street. I mean, some of them were still intact, although, it’s quite pity that the contents were long gone”

“Why are you sad about that? Don’t tell me you’re planning on drinking that old from the 18 hundreds? Effin gross dude”

Yuri smack the back of the latter’s head. “No you . So I can examine the contents u numbskull. Finding the bits and pieces that were used by the people in the past makes New York City’s history real. Like last year, we uncovered a six-foot-long Revolutionary Era wall, probably from a building belonging to one of the powerful families that owned property and kept slaves. Also, unearthed were 18th century shoe buckles, pieces of potter and a medicine bottle. Pretty exciting huh?” Yuri grins, nudging her cousin.

“Lame lame lame lame…”

****

The new couple struts down the mall hand in hand, looking for dresses for the upcoming wedding. They have been to three different stores, and yet there weren’t any dresses that suits the event.

The shorter woman pick a dress and held it in front of her “Should I try this one?”

The brown haired lady scrutinizes the dress and nods “Looks pretty good to me”

Tiffany nodded and walks into the dressing room, followed by her other half. As tiffany enters the stall, Yuri sat on the bench outside. “How was your talk with Miss Park about Miss Kim yesterday? I forgot to ask”

“Hmm… I explained what happened to her already, she was afraid that I might have been flirting with our client. Which I have no intention to. Plus, she told me that Kim Taeyeon actually came and explain to her about the whole shenanigans. My job is secure in that sense” Tiffany walks out the stall “How do I look?”

Yuri nodded in understanding “Hm, I don’t think it suits you”

“Wae?” Tiffany baffled and look at herself in front of the mirror.

“It doesn’t brings out the colour of your eyes, plus the design is a bit to drappy. Looks like it’s weighing you down” Yuri utters

With her hand on her hips, Tiffany turns and look at her girlfriend “For an archeologist, you sure know how to give fashion opinion”

Yuri chuckles “I told you before, hanging out with a designer and a metroual cousin does that”

After changing her outfit, the couples decided to take a break and have snack before goes on a hunt for the dresses.

“How was work?” Tiffany asks taking a small chomp of her sandwiches

“Guess what? I have a new awesome project ahead” Yuri smiles

“Oh, what kind of project?”

“Last week, I went down to meet utility companies since they asked me to check out some stuff that they discovered while digging under the streets of Manhattan. We found thousands of artifacts, such as an 18th century bone toothbrush with animals bristle, wine and champagne bottles corked centuries ago and other stuff”

“Hmm”

“Aside from that, we found an unearthed goldmine. It’s hard to imagine that anything delicate could survive under the criss cross of utilities pipes and building foundations. But our amazing workers are discovering all sorts of items that provide a glimpse into the past. Pretty neat huh?”

“I’m sorry but, archaeologies looks for other stuff too? Other than skulls and ancient animals?” Tiffany asks

“Of course babe. Also, I handled a Revolutionary War button worn by a soldier in a British regiment that fought in the 1776 Battle of Brooklyn, where colonizing forces defeated Washington ragtag army” Yuri speaks with such passion in her voice.

“A what button? I’m sorry babe. I feel bad, I have no idea what you talking about”

Yuri smiles “Nah, it’s fine. Archeology is not something that can be brain by just explanation”

Tiffany smiles “Sorry”

 

****

With her Starbucks cup in her hand, Jessica flips over her portfolios. Reflecting minor mistakes that she might have done.

Jenny sat in front of the latter while tapping her phone, most probably handling Jessica’s schedule.

“Remember the interview that I told you about, Jess?” Jenny broke the silence off after a few minutes have gone by.

“Yah, what’s up?” Jessica stops looking at her portfolio and give the latter her attention.

“Serena paged me, saying that you might need to learn more about Spawn of Satan’s background. Just in case the interviewee might goes off the topic”

“How am I supposed to do that?” Jessica kink an eyebrow

“Really Jess? Go and ask her. Mingle… talk to each other. You guys should learn about each other quirk and whatnot. Profession or something”

“Why do I need to go into details about her personal stuff? It’s not like we’re bound with contract dating or something”

Jenny sighs lightly “Babe can u just please do this for me. After what had happen, I feel like precautions is better than preventing”

“Okay, fine, fine Grandma. I’ll talk to her later, I’m kind of busy right now”

“Good”.

 

***

[From Slaves: Where you at? ]

Why is she looking for me?

[From Queenie: Why do you want to know?]

[From Slaves: Don’t be such an . Just tell me where you at. Are you busy right now?]

[From Queenie: Sheesh. Such Diva I can’t even.]

Calm down Jess, calm down

[From Slaves: YAH KWON YURI TELL ME RIGHT N.O.W.]

* Edit Contact name [From Lil Satan: I’m at our bar. Doing some paperwork. Quite free actually]

[From Slaves: Our bar?]

[From Lil Satan: The bar where you go all Barney Stinson on me -.-.]

[From Slaves: Don’t move. Be there in an hour. Need to go through something with you.]

 

***

Jessica walks down the bar and immediately spotted the latter with her black frame glasses on

“Didn’t I tell you to get rid of that glasses?” Jessica took a sit and ordered a glass of Mojito.

Yuri glares at the model “I need them to do my work dimwit. Why do u want to see me anyway?”

Ignoring the questions, Jessica then look through a bunch of pictures in front of her ‘What’s this?”

“Why do you want to know?” Yuri snarls

Jessica stop and ultimately gave the latter her deathliest glare she can muster at that time “I. genuinely.wants.to.know.you numbskull”

Yuri chuckles awkwardly “No need to be all red on me. Just kidding. That’s one of my new project.”

“Oh, what project?”

Yuri gives the brightest smile “New York’s artifacts”

Jessica notices the genuine passion in her eyes nodded “Tell me about it”

Yuri then scowl “Really? You want to know about my projects?”

Jessica nodded, taking off her jacket, making herself comfortable “yah, I do.”

With that short answer, Yuri grins from ear to ear.  “On a regular basis, sites of an older New York city are exposed by heavy construction. Allowing archeologist like me to give New Yorkers more detailed history of its root.”

“What kind of details are we talking about?”

“Well, in 2010, during the reconstruction of the world trade center site, we were called by the people only to discover a 32-foot-long ship Hull about 30 feet underground.” Yuri took a picture of the ship hull and show them to the latter.

“Wait what? A ship hull?” Jessica asks, genuinely intrigued

“Yes, yes a ship hull. We analyzed the wood, and it’s clearly suggest that it was cut down in 1773 from a white oak forest near Philadelphia.”

“Wait, wait… you guys actually able to find out the origins of the hull? Down to where the wood came from??” Jessica asks

“Yes, of course we did.” Yuri smiles “Wasn’t an easy job. But my team is the best in the field”

“Wow. What else did you guys find out about the ship hull?”

“Well, after we did thorough research, we ought that it’s a Dutch vessel called a Hudson River Sloop used to carry people and cargo. Maybe after a decade of being used, the ship eventually retired, permanently docked and eventually buried under garbage throughout the 1800s only to reemerge after 9/11.”

Jessica was fascinated by the information and as well as Yuri abilities in her work. Not bad.

“How long does it takes for you and your team to actually uncover all this?”

“For this particular case, it took us 4 years. Lots of process that we need to go through. It was all worth it.”

Jessica rest her chin against her palm “What do you get from all of this Yuri?”

Oblivious to Jessica actually calling her real name, Yuri smiles, thinking about her job “The past fascinates me, their beginning, their stories and their ending plays a vital parts of shaping who we are as a society and nation. I’m not talking about New York or the U.S.A’s history only. I’m talking about history as a whole. I might not get as much money when I’m able to reveal the secrets about the past, but the satisfaction of unveiling them is such a joy that I can’t describes in words. People might probably don’t understand why, and I do respect people’s opinion concerning my job. Archeology can be boring and lame to a certain extent” Yuri chuckles by her own speech.

“Who says Archeology is lame?” Jessica mutters “I don’t think its lame. It’s complicated and sometimes difficult to decipher if you go through the complex process. But definitely not a lame profession to begin with.”

Yuri gives Jessica her most genuine smile. She was grateful and a bit relieved by the latter’s confession. “Thank you for saying that. Means a lot to me”

Both women look at each other as silence falls upon them. Not the kind of awkward silence but a comfortable one.

“So, what else do you have for me to learn?” Jessica gives a small smile.

“Have you ever heard of The African Burial ground?” Yuri chimes in

“Burial ground? Is this story going to be gory and whatnot?” Jessica cringes

“Hahaha, noooo… the African Burial ground was discovered in 1991, located from Chambers to Duane Streets and Broadway to Foley Square. It lays rest to over 400 African slaves who died over 200 years ago…”

“Get out” Jessica was shock “Seriously??”

Yuri laugh and continues on explaining the case to Jessica whom engross in listening to the latter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes. Definitely different indeed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Short note:

Heres another update folks! : ))) Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I am writing them. Sorry for the boring ish chapter. All the facts above are true since I did some minor research on them. Drop comments below and thanks to new subscribers!! Love yall!!