Chapter 11: Bilingual

Pierrot: A Fool for You

 

“Oh Jaejoong hyung, you guys are home.” Junsu was sitting at the sofa smiling ear to ear. Across him was Hee Jin with her head down and her arms hugging her leg between them were a bunch of playing cards.

 

Realizing the real situation Changmin and Yoochun started laughing. Yunho gave them an uncomfortable look while Jaejoong sighed.

 

“I was teaching Hee Jin shi go and stop and I flick her forehead every time she loose since we won’t bet with money. Look her forehead is all red” he explained followed by a few chuckles. “Why? What’s wrong?” he asked after seeing how they are acting.

 

“We thought you guys were having, no no it’s nothing” Yoochun smiled at them thinking it would make Hee Jin uncomfortable if she knew the reason.” Anyway let’s eat.”

 

Hee Jin and Junsu immediately looked at each other with troubled looks.  Hee Jin suddenly bowed and Junsu turned a few shades of red. “Sorry hyung we got carried away and she didn’t get to make dinner. It was my fault I nagged her to play with me and to make dinner later. We lost track of time hehe”

 

Changmin sighed hearing there’s no food which made Hee Jin feel even guiltier.

 

“Let’s just eat outside” Yunho suggested. “Gwenchana Hee Jin shi, now we can take you to our favorite restaurant and treat you to some Korean foods the food there is jjang”

 

Changmin gave her thumbs up showing her that it’s okay. She bowed her head again “jwesonghamnida

 

They took her to a simple restaurant. She was surprised that they could go out casually ad that they’re favorite place is a simple one since they’re famous. It must be because there are only few people around and it’s pretty late. They got to their seats and the ahjumma served them their food like their no stars. They must come here quite often.

 

“Hee Jin shi you should try this” Yoochun suggested.

 

She put the food on and chewed slowly savoring the taste while the others waited for her judgment. “maa” she  exhaled after swallowing. They all smiled at her and the others continued to make her eat their favorite food.

 

“Now try this” she didn’t have time to react as someone shove something on . Her eyes widened and her face turned instantly red.

 

Noticing her reaction “hyung what did you gave her?” Junsu asked worriedly. Jaejoong pointed to a dish with a red color probably with lots of chili paste, his favorite.

 

Their eyes all widened realizing what kind of dish he fed her. Yunho immediately gave her a glass of water which she drank hurriedly like her life depends on it.  I think my mouth is on fire she thought.

 

“Hyung how could you make her eat that. It’s too spicy even for us and she’s not even Korean” Changmin scolded.

 

Jaejoong ate some “What? It taste fine to me”

 

“Jaejoong hyung your tongue isn’t normal” Yoochun stated.
 

“Gwenchana?” Yunho was worried, they were all worried. “Are you alright?” Hee Jin only waved her hand as she gulped down her second glass of water. “Did you burn your tongue?” still Hee Jin didn’t respond she was breathing deeply hoping some air would cool help her cool down a bit.

 

“Common let me see your tongue” he ordered. Hee Jin gave him a ‘are serious look’ but still kept breathing deeply. “It’s fine don’t be embarrassed. Common say ahh” he motioned for her to stick her tongue out as he stuck out his as the others did as well. Hee Jin hesitantly showed her tongue but seeing how persistent they were and that their tongues were already sticking in the air she can’t help to do the same. She almost fainted and swore she saw her soul left her body right then and there when all of them stared at her tongue like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

 

Jaejoong stared at her tongue inspecting it. “It’s red but it’ll be fine. Just eat some ice” s glared at him but can’t help but sigh at his stupidity.

 

After eating dinner Jaejoong volunteered to take Hee Jin home to do some damage control. The ride was quiet and for Jaejoong it’s too quiet. “You don’t talk much do you?” he didn’t get any reply as Hee Jin kept staring at the window looking at the passing lights. He kept his sight straight “I’m sorry about earlier. I didn’t know it was too much for you.”

 

She finally decided to talk “its fine, I’m not really fond of spicy food I have a sweet tooth.”

 

“That’s why you and Changmin and Junsu got along really well” he smiled. Their talk didn’t went too far as Jaejoong stepped at the breaks signaling they arrived at their destination “Well were here” he looked around and saw that the street is lit only by one street light and there  are also weren’t many people around except for the guys who look like gangsters hanging out at a dark alley smoking. Not exactly the best place for a girl to live alone.

 

“Thank you for taking me home” her voice stopped his thoughts. She already got down from the car and was bowing a few degrees a few step away from the car door.

 

“Oh, it’s alright. Just think of it as an apology for what happened earlier.”

 

“It’s fine really”

 

“Get in, I’ll leave once I see you get inside you house.” she smiled a little and nodded before bowing once again and walking inside the building. As soon as she opened the door and got inside he went off slowly looking around her neighborhood.

 

~+~+~+0+~+~+~

 

 “Hyung you’re already here. How was she?” Changmin was playing Xbox and didn’t bother to look up.

 

“Is she mad at you?” asked Junsu who was also playing Xbox against Changmin.

 

He went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of mineral water. “No she’s not mad and she doesn’t seem to mind.”

 

He drank slowly thinking “Yunho” the other guy didn’t seem to notice him since he has earplugs on practicing his dancing. “Yunho!” he called again louder this time.

 

Yunho stopped dancing, pulled out his headphones and stood in front of Jaejoong “Wae?” he took the water Jaejoong was drinking and gulped it down in a flash. Dancing made his throat dry.

 

“Have you been to Hee Jin’s house?”

 

Yunho shook his head “You are always the one who sends her home. Wae?”

 

“Its a few blocks from here but the environment is 180 degrees different. There aren’t many street lights around and many dangerous looking guys roam around.”

 

“That’s unsafe for a girl to live. Should we help her look for a better place to live?” Yunho suggested.

 

“Yeah let’s do that”

 

For the time they’ve known her they’ve grown close. They see her as a friend and as a younger sister to take care of. She’s in a foreign country alone, a feeling all of them are well accustomed to. A sense of responsibility grew on them since the day Jaejoong brought her at their house. They are away from their family most of the time and only have each other as company and it’s nice to have someone treating them like they’re not stars and just regular guys.

~*~*~*0~*~*~*~

 

Hee Jin looked at the counter to find Shin Hye and Hongki arguing again and trying to push each other. She would’ve ignored it but the owner as also into it which isn’t an everyday thing so she went over to take a look. “What’s wrong?”

 

HongKi pointed to a customer with blonde hair in his late 20’s holding the menu.

 

“Why are you guys not taking his order?”

 

“It’s a foreigner. We can’t speak English” Shin Hye blushed in embarrassment. “Our English class teaches us words and phrases like how do you do and how are you. They don’t teach how to take orders and what if he says something like don’t put sugar or I’m allergic to nuts. We might kill him!”

 

“Hey don’t over react and don’t justify your stupidity in English” Hongki snickered

 

“Then why don’t you go there genius.”

 

HongKi’s face paled. “Of course I’ll go there.” He started to clear his throat like there is something stuck there. “Good morn ~ good morning” he practiced and tried to smile but it’s obvious that he is struggling.

 

“Hee jin ah” Shin Hye called as she noticed that Hee Jin left.

 

Hee Jin made way to the customers table that apparently has been waiting for someone to entertain him.

 

“Good morning Sir, May I take your order now?” she spoke in fluent English. Three mouths hang open as they stared at her talking at a language they can’t understand.

 

“You speak English thank goodness.” He smiled at her and looked at the menu again. “I can’t understand your menu it’s written in Hangul”

 

Do you have any particular cravings?” she stood beside him straight body, stomach in, chest out and hand behind her. Her posture has improved a lot since she worked in a Dango shop before and a few waitress part time jobs here in there for years.

 

“I would like to eat some noodles.”

 

“Then I would recommend our house specialty Jajangmyun”

 

“Jajangmyun, I’ve heard that dish before.” The foreigner rubbed his chin with his hands as if thinking where he heard it before.

 

“Yes sir, It’s a popular dish. If you visit Korea Jajangmyun is one of the things you must eat.”

 

“Sure I’ll have that and a coke in can please.”

 

She wrote down his order “Is there anything you want sir?” he shook his head no. “Then please wait for your order.” She bowed and left.

 

She handed Hongki his order “one Jajangmyun and a coke in can.”

 

“Hee Jin ah, we didn’t know you can speak English.” Shin Hye said in bewilderment

 

“I learn it at school. Our teacher is American as well.”

 

“Wahh, education in Japan is surely advanced” said the owner while nodding his head who also saw the whole thing.

 

Hongki finished making the Jajangmyun and Hee Jin quickly served them.

 

“One Jajangmyun and one coke” she set his order at the table. “Is there anything you need?” The foreigner shook his head no but continued to look his meal. “Well if you need anything just call me” she bowed again politely and went to the counter since the foreigner is their only customer for the moment.

 

He finished his Jajangmyun and called Hee Jin for the bill. She handed him the bill and came back again for his change. He was already at the door when Hee Jin stopped him. “Sir it’s too much for a tip.”

 

“No it’s fine. You have no idea how difficult to eat outside because I can’t speak Korean. You can take this, and I’m sure I’ll be one of your regular customers during my stay here.” he flashed her a smile and left.

 

“Thank you sir and please come again” she bowed to her retreating figure.

 

~*~*~*0~*~*~*~

 

She decided to tidy things up at her apartment. She didn’t have to cook for them tonight. They have a variety show at night and will be eating with the staff after. By the time she finished it was still early. Her place is small and she doesn’t have many belongings either. So after a few dusting and putting some things to their places she was done. She was lying at her futon and was about to fall asleep when her stomach made a sound

 

“ohh. I’m hungry. I forgot. You really need to take better care f yourself. You even forgot your hungry. Should I eat?” she asked herself. “Your brother would scold you if he knew you’re skipping meals again.” She laughed at one of her habits when she’s alone talking to herself.

 

In the end she decided to eat. She went to the convenient store nearby and bought some ramen. She sat at the corner eating her ramen when one of their commercials aired at the TV. It was a chicken commercial.  She chuckled at their cuteness. Changmin must have fun doing this CF

 

 

~*~*~*0~*~*~*~

 

 

“Hee Jin did you hear? Remember DBSK, the band you asked me about before?” Hee Jin nodded in acknowledgment. “Their leader U – Know Yunho got poisoned last night.”

 

Hongki rolled his eyes hearing their conversation “girls and their boy obsessions.”

 

Shin Hye glared at him but continued her story. “Some antifan gave him a drink with adhesive glue in it. After their performance last night he started vomiting backstage and was sent to the E. R. immediately” she finished.

 

“Is he alright now?” Hee Jin was worried. She has known them for quite some time now and she practically see them every day since she’s working for them so it isn’t a surprise that she has grown to care for them.