Ew

Cinderella Story

Woohyun POV

As I got dressed for school on Monday morning, I felt a little bit jittery. I would be meeting parkpineapple today, and I was starting to get a little nervous. We were alike in so many ways - sharing the same interests and everything. I knew we would get along just like we did online but I was, not going to lie, a little worried about what she looked like. I knew that she had problems with people judging her for her appearance, but she probably was over thinking it. I knew some girls had tendencies to talk themselves down to make them feel better, so I hoped that was the case with parkpineapple. I knew she would be pretty though, because she sounded bright, happy and optimistic. Her values and attitudes made her beautiful. Ugly people were sad and annoying, right? I didn't really know how ugly people acted or thought because I never talked to them - they disgusted me. I guess they didn't have reasons to be happy because they were ugly, and looks were everything nowadays. I knew that if I was ugly, I would be getting plastic surgery at the first opportunity.

Throughout the day, I felt uneasy and excited at the same time. I asked Sunggyu about his partner and if they were excited to meet and he just laughed at me.
"Woohyun, are you serious? You've actually been talking to your partner?"
I hesitated. If I admitted that my partner was basically my best friend, beside the guys, I would get laughed at.
I laughed weirdly. "Of course not! It's such a dumb project, do you really think I would waste my time on it?"
I sounded stupid and foreign to myself.
He slapped me on the back. "You worried me for a bit there, dongsaengie."

Lunchtime came slowly and my palms were sweating. I had never been this nervous before to meet a girl before because, well, it was me. I was Nam Woohyun. I was the most handsome guy of the school, and girls would always be nervous to meet me, not the other way around. I thought briefly of parkpineapple and how she would react when she knew I was choiapple. She'd probably be overjoyed. And, she wouldn't have to call me a liar because I was, like I said, the most handsome guy in school.

"Guys, are you ready yet? Can we go to the hall now?"
The guys were in the bathroom, fixing their hair. When they looked at me funny, because I sounded enthusiastic about the project, I hastily made up an excuse.
"The valedictorian can't be late to these things!"
Sunggyu nodded. "Kay boys, let's go and meet our partners!" He said sarcastically.

I refrained from running to the hall to meet her. I was really excited, and I had never felt this way before. Not when I first met Chaeyeon, the hottest girl in Seoul, nor when I first went to a club and saw so many hot girls in one room. This was a different kind of feeling, like we had been building up to this for a long time. The anticipation was killing me. I knew parkpineapple was a genuinely nice person who worried about me a lot, like I did for her, and it excited me because I never had a friend like that before. I couldn't talk about my feelings to the guys, because they would laugh at me and call me a girl, and nor could I with Chaeyeon because all she wanted to do when we were together was make out or go shopping. Not that I minded, because she was really hot.

"Good afternoon, year twelves, and welcome to the meeting assembly. Now I want you all to listen to me carefully, because I want this to be conducted in an orderly manner. If you could all take a marker and a piece of paper being passed around right now, and write your username on them. Then go find your partner. Once you've found them, please go sit over here to my right and wait for my instructions."

The crowd murmured and didn't move. I almost jumped out of my seat as soon as the principal finished but luckily I had quick reflexes and sat down when no one else moved. I also pretended to look disgruntled.

The principal took a deep breath and yelled into the microphone. "Graduation, everyone. Remember. Graduation."

The crowd murmured again and people started moving. I jumped up from where I was sitting and enthusiastically wrote 'choiapple' on my piece of paper in big letters. Then I started wandering around to see if I could find her.

I circled the room at least ten times to no avail. Where was she? We should have swapped physicalities! I looked around at the partnered up people, and most of the hot girls at St. Peters were already sitting down with their partners. Damn! All gone. Maybe there were still one or two hanging around, I prayed silently.

Slowly, the crowd thinned. Everyone seemed to be paired up except for me and another girl I couldn't see that was facing the other way, apparently sitting down because she had given up.

Maybe she wasn't here? The girl over there was not.....the best looking.

"Woohyun!" The principal barked. "Go sit with your partner, now!" He pointed to her.
I scratched my head awkwardly. I was fully awake that everyone's attention was focused on me.
"I don't think she's here, sir."

I heard Dongwoo's voice from the partnered side.
"Hey Woohyun! That's your partner there!"
"No way! EW!"
I felt my group laughing hysterically.
I turned to look at the girl who now faced me and my heart sank. She was holding a placard that said 'parkpineapple.' Her eyes were also full of tears.

"I think she is, Woohyun." The principal checked his list. "Parkpineapple and choiapple?" He squinted to look at our names.
"Yep. Partners."
I could hear my group roaring with laughter. I heard a few people chuckle too. I turned to look at the girl properly. She was Kim Hana from my literature.....physics....

chemistry....maths class. She was in all my classes. Why had I not noticed before? Was this the girl I had poured my heart out to? Oh my God.

She looked at me directly in the eye. She shook her head slightly, never breaking eye contact with me, before wiping her tears and turning to run out of the hall. That look, I would never forget.

"Hana!" I heard her friend and Sunggyu's crush Hanbyul yell, running after her. "Wait!"

The principal looked confused. The crowd started chattering again before he yelled for silence.
"Okay...." he said. "Never mind them two. Their partners can tell them what we're doing later. Now, I want you to turn to your partner and properly introduce yourselves...."

I walked over to where my group were sitting, ignoring their partners who were all girls who seemed dazed by them. I wasn't really paying attention to what they were or saying or what the principal was telling us to do.

Was parkpineapple really Hana? I was so confused and so disorientated. I didn't really mean to say ew to her.....it was just a reflex reaction. And because Dongwoo said that stupid remark, I needed to say it. It was necessary for my image. So why did my heart hurt so much when she looked at me like that? I felt so bad. I could still picture her disappointed face and I felt uneasy, sick. Like the feeling when you asked a deaf person if they were deaf because you had to repeat yourself to them so many times.
 My thoughts wandered to that time she was so upset because people judged her for appearance, and my heart plunged even further down my chest. And I had done just that. Said ew to her face, played on her biggest insecurity. I was a horrible person. And a big liar. I hardly deserved any of it. What I deserved was to go to hell.

I sighed deeply and leaned my head against the wall.
"'LOL hyung!" Sungjong teased. "Your partner is the ugliest girl in school! How ironic!"
Everyone roared in laughter while I just sat there unconfortably.
"Are you okay?" Hoya asked, feeling my forehead. "Omo, you feel a little hot. Is it because you're still in shock from meeting her?! HAH!"
Everyone continued laughing. I looked at Sunggyu with tired, pleading eyes. He nodded slightly and I walked away from them. I could hear Sunggyu scolding them. I just needed to be alone with my thoughts right now.