Facebook

Cinderella Story

On Wednesday night, I lie on my bed in deep thought. I had just gotten home from the hospital visiting my brother and was about to shower, but I kept thinking of something the nurse said to me.
"His heartbeat sounds stronger these days," she said while checking his breathing. "He's improving."
She looked up at me, smiling. "It's because you've been here everyday, giving him strength!"

I felt a little uncomfortable after she said that and just smiled awkwardly in reply, but I couldn't place why. On the way home I racked my brains, asking myself why it was weird for me. I should've been happy, proud, yet I felt guilty and a little ashamed. Why? Finally, as I walked into my room and spotted my laptop open on my table at the school's homepage, I knew. I knew why I felt so uncomfortable when she said it. It was because Hana was the one who told me to go to the hospital. It was her who told me to get out of the house and stop feeling guilty and mopy because my brother would've hated seeing me like that. And she was right. It was Hana who told me that in order for my brother to recover, I needed to be there. I needed to be there to give him strength. And that's what I did. I went to the hospital everyday, bringing my homework with me, never telling the guys. I stayed there until 12am, the latest bus home, and telling the guys that I was out with Chaeyeon when they asked.

Hana. I sighed and peeled off my school shirt. It smelt a bit funny because we had football practice today and I forgot to bring my sport uniform - I needed to wash it straightaway. But I didn't feel like moving, so I just lay on my bed with no shirt on, thinking of Hana. What was she doing right now? Was she feeling a little alone like I was?

I sat up. An idea sprang into my head. I could check Facebook! That was like stalker heaven. I quickly got off my bed and logged into my Facebook account. I scrolled quickly through my friends list but I couldn't see her name. I scrolled through again and again and again. Nope. She wasn't my friend. But then again, I thought, why would she be? I added my friends; people who sent me requests I always ignored.

I jumped a little in my seat. I had another idea. I picked up my phone and dialled Sunggyu's phone number. I checked the time. It was 7.30pm, not too early or not too late.
"Hello? Hyung!" I cried a little loudly and excitedly into the phone. "Can I come over and use your laptop? Mines, um, broken," I lied.
"I have a visitor, Woohyun, I can't -"
"Hyung! This is important," I whined.
He sighed. "Fine! You have to be really quiet though!"
I nodded eagerly. "Thanks hyung! I'll be there soon!"

On the bus, I was very excited. Sunggyu would be friends with her, definitely. He had over a thousand Facebook friends and he was friends with everyone at our school. So he would definitely have Hana. Unless she didn't have Facebook - that would just be weird.

"Hyung! I'm here, come open the door," I said as I walked down his driveway.
He grumbled and groaned. "Coming," he snapped.
When he came down to meet me, his face was all black. It was obvious that he wasn't happy to see me and I was interrupting something.
I opened my mouth to ask but he answered before I said anything.
"Hanbyul's here," he whispered. "We were just watching a movie.....the kiss scene was just coming! And you interrupted with your stupid phone call!"
"Ew hyung! You were going to kiss her during a kiss scene in the MOVIE?! Gross," I mimed vomiting. "So corny."
Sunggyu reached over and swatted my head. "Do you want to use my laptop or what?" He said grumpily.
I nodded eagerly. "Yes, please," I smiled cutely. "Thankyou Sunggyu oppa!"
He held in his laughter but I could see a smile creep on the edges of his lips.
"Don't watch ," he said, winking before leaving me to go into his room and he to return to the movie with Hanbyul.
I thought of how happy he must be. How did she end up coming to his house, I thought? Interesting. He had had a crush on Hanbyul for agggeeesssss, ever since tenth grade when the teacher paired them up for a science project. His crush was so cute, always saying hi and smiling and complimenting her. He always opened the door, gave his jacket and gave her food at meal times. I was really happy for him. Hopefully he'd have the guts to ask her out !

I found his computer and logged on to his Facebook, using his password which was the same for everything - 'iloveshinhanbyul1234'. The Internet loaded slowly. Then finally, his profile opened and I clicked on his friends list. Bam! I saw the name Kim Hana straightaway.

Her profile picture was of her and Hanbyul mucking around with fatbooth. Hanbyul had about three chins while Hanahad about twenty. I chuckled. Even with all those chins, she still look alright. I right clicked the image and pressed save. Sunggyu would probably thank me later anyway.

So she was born on the 16th of October 1991. Which made me her oppa, yay! She was from Seoul, Korea, speaking English and Korean. And working at McDonalds?! Omo, which one?! I should drop by one day with the guys and observe her in her natural habitat. But once everything died down - I didn't want to seem like a stalker. But I wasn't one. Definitely not.

Her interests included - surprise - 2NE1, MBLAQ, Big Bang, BtoB and Jay Park. Her favourite movies were listed as Secret, She's the Man, Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean. Her favourite books were by Meg Cabot, JK Rowling, Charles Dickens and TS Eliot. Her favourite sports were listed as none - sports are too hard/boring. Her activities listed included why have abs when you can have kebabs, the awkward moment when someone says hi and you say good thanks, are you sleeping? Yes, and feeling the life drain out of you when the last Harry Potter movie finished. I chuckled. What an interesting girl.
She had one older brother called Kim
Hansol born in 1990 who attended Oxford University in England.

I spent ages poring over her photos. It was 9.30 when I had finished flicking through them, two hours after I had gotten to Sunggyu's house. Guess they were doing something downstairs because he didn't call me at all. Her pictures were all mainly of her and Hanbyul. To me it seemed like they were always together, doing everything like grocery shopping, shoe shopping, toothbrush shopping? together. I chuckled as I saw Hana pose with a purple toothbrush in her hand, making a little cute face.

My phone beeped at 9.30, breaking me out of the trance I was in, looking at Hana. It was my mother asking me where I was. I quickly replied and ran downstairs to tell Sunggyu and his mom thankyou for having me. Then I rushed home to meet her.

On the bus once again, I thought of Hana and all that she showed on her Facebook profile. I expected nothing less from her - she definitely wasn't lying when we talked these past six months. Her profile did nothing but confirm to me the person she was. She barely posted statuses, which reminded me of the time she told me how paranoid she got if no one liked them. She hid all her tagged pictures because she knew only stalkers looked at tagged pictures because mutual friends wouldn't need to view tagged photos because they would be able to see them anyway. She hardly ever changed her profile picture because she knew how hard it was to find a good, decent one that wasn't a selca.
Why was I remembering all these things she told me? It's not like I wanted to be friends with her again. But I couldn't deny that the first person I wanted to text after the nurse told me my brother's heartbeat was getting stronger was her.

After I got home, it was 10.30pm. I was just getting ready to take a shower but my phone rang. Sunggyu?
"Hello?"
"Aigoo, Woohyunnie, you're so weird," he mused.
"Why?" I asked suspiciously. "What did I do?"
He burst out laughing and didn't stop for five minutes. What on earth.....?
"Why did you stay on Kim Hana's Facebook page for two hours?"
I gasped and felt my cheeks turn a little red. Was I blushing?!
"

"I-I-I didn't!" I said hurriedly.
"Don't lie, Woohyun. I checked my history."
"What!? Why did you check your history? Don't you trust me?!"
"I do," he chuckled. "I just wanted to check you weren't watching , trust me."
"Ack, hyung, you ."
"So? Why were you on her profile for so long?"
"AISH! I WASN'T! BYE!"
I hung up on him and quickly went into the bathroom incase he called back. I was busted.