Letter?

Cinderella Story

Hana POV

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. If I stared at it for long enough, would it change? I knew looks weren't everything in this world. Neither was dress sense, or hairstyle. But after what Woohyun said to me, did I really believe that anymore? That you weren't judged immediately on what you were wearing, or how you styled your hair that morning? To be honest, no.
I felt like something of mine had come crashing down after his cruel words. Was it my self-esteem? Or my heart that lived on false hope? I wasn't sure, but it was probably both.
 I felt strange. Like a weight was physically pressing down on my chest. Like a permanent lump had settled itself in the middle of my throat. Like a hand was restricting around my neck and stopping me from breathing. Like a hammer had hit the back of my head, which was throbbing like mad.

I knew I shouldn't have let it affect me, but seriously, who was I kidding. And in front of the whole school, too. How did he even manage to have the guts to say something like that to my face after all we had been through? All I had helped him with?

Woohyun POV

I'll never forget the way Hana looked at me when I called her ugly. I'll never forget her eyes when I said people ate uneasily because of how she looked. I'll never forget how she but her trembling lip and fought back tears, and asked me how my brother was. My heart dropped and panged painfully in my chest. I felt my cheeks go red and all of a sudden, I felt very conscious of where my hands were and what I was doing.

I stood there, frozen on the stop. All that was running through my head was oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, Nam Woohyun, what have you done? Why did I let my stupid mouth run amuck? Did I ever shut up? Did I ever find the right things to say to her? It seemed that with everyone else, I had a way of words. But with Hana, I had no words - except rude, mean, cruel, horrible ones.

I knew what was coming out of my mouth, but I was powerless to stop it. Did that make sense? It was like Hana had the tap, and everything came gushing out without stopping. I didn't even know where the words came from, because they definitely weren't how I thought of her. She wasn't ugly, at all. The way she cared for someone made her beautiful. How she worried for other people but never herself, how she seemed to have advice for everyone except herself. These traits in Hana far outshone what she may have lacked physically. But who cared? Looks wouldn't last forever, but a pure heart would.

I think the reason I said those words were because what Hana said to me triggered something. It made me really, really angry when she called me blind because, in fact, she was the one who had corrected my vision. I didn't focus solely on looks anymore after I met Hana. I didn't worry about how 'good' someone was in bed, because, well, it would come later.

I mean, sure, Chaeyeon and all the girls I met at the club made me happy. Really happy. But the happiness I felt when I thought of Hana or spoke to her was a different kind of happiness. Like I really felt it deep in my heart. The thought of Hana gave me a spring in my step that I never really had before.

So I guess that's why I was so angry. Because I had changed so much, gone through so much, but Hana couldn't see one bit of it. And here she was, telling me that I hadn't changed one bit and couldn't see anything beyond physicalities? She was the blind one. Blind in the way that she couldn't see how happy she made me feel and how she changed me for the better.

I know it was cliché, this, and it was. It sounded like I had taken the plot from a Cinderella story and applied it to my life. Handsome, flawless guy like me who falls in love with an average looking, kind hearted girl. Very cliché.  But I guess my story wasn't becoming so cliché after all. Because there was no way that she would forgive me after what I said to her. No way. And do I blame her? Of course not. If I was her, and had struggled with what she had, and she had blurted everything I had confided in her, I would be beyond angry and hurt.

I needed a way to let her know what I was thinking; my intentions and my apologies. But how? I couldn’t speak when I was in front of her, and the ‘being nice’ idea had already failed.

 

Hana POV

The next day, I hardly wanted to wake up and go to school. My eyes were all swollen and funny after crying so much, and I couldn’t sleep at all last night. Which meant I looked like a walking ghost. Which meant that there was only more that Woohyun could say about how bad I looked. By going to school, it gave him an opportunity to pick up on bad things to say about me. But by not going to school, it was a sign of weakness, which my stubborn self didn’t want to show him. Plus, I had a math test. So I couldn’t skip out even if I wanted to.

I went to my locker to grab my books for first period. As I opened the door, something fell out. It was a pink envelope with my name on it, slotted through the gap between the wall and my locker door. Who would send me a letter? Hanbyul wouldn’t do something so cheesy. So who could it be? I looked around, seeing if anyone was watching me receive it. And guess what? Nam freaking Woohyun was staring right back at me from the spot underneath the staircase. Was he really that thick? Did he think I could not see him from under there? Why had he left me another letter? I thought I had told him to leave me alone.