CLub

Cinderella Story

Woohyun POV

I stepped into the club and felt the thumping music reverberate through my chest. I inhaled the mixed smell of alcohol, perfume and cologne and sighed deeply, content. I was finally able to have one night where I didn’t have to worry about anything at all and just celebrate Sunggyu’s birthday. Not my brother, not school, not football, not…Hana. Even though I knew she would be here tonight because Sunggyu so conveniently invited her too. Who cares? She’d be busy hanging around with her friend to notice me. I didn’t feel ready to talk to her, anyway.

 

I grabbed a drink from the nearest waiter and gulped it down in one go. The alcohol scorched my throat, but I didn’t care one bit. I was here to get as drunk as possible and maybe find a girl to make out with. My eyes scanned hungrily through the room. Which one tonight ? Then I spotted the guys and walked over to greet them.

 

“Hyung! Happy birthday!” I yelled unnecessarily loudly as I stepped into the club. I handed him a present that I had picked up from the adult shop the other day on the way home from school.
“Open it later,” I winked.
Sunggyu’s eyes widened. “Why? Why can’t I open it now?”
I shrugged nonchalantly. “You can if you want. Just… if I were you, I wouldn’t.” I paused. “You can thank me later!”
“If it’s , Nam Woohyun, I swear I’ll – “
Sunggyu’s words were cut off abruptly as his mouth dropped open and he stared shamelessly.

The guys and I turned around and followed his gaze. Hanbyul had just arrived, and she looked pretty good, even I had to admit. She had long, flowing hair and was wearing a floral dress that went up to her thighs. But she wasn’t what I was looking at. Hana was behind her, looking a little lost and uncomfortable. She was wearing a nice, long sleeved, black short dress that I could see she kept pulling down. Her hair was curled nicely and lay perfectly against her chest. As she approached us, I saw she was wearing red converses and I fought the urge to chuckle. That was so typical Hana.

 

Either she was ignoring me, or didn’t see me standing here.
“Sunggyu!” Hanbyul said, coming to give him a hug. His face that was turned toward us was an expression of ‘yes!’ and pure joy and excitement. I looked at the guys and chuckled. Our old grandpa hyung had finally found someone he liked.
“Happy birthday, oppa,” she smiled, causing her eyes to turn into crescents. “I hope you like my present!”
Sunggyu looked dazed and infatuated. “I do! I love it!”
She giggled. “You haven’t even opened it yet!”
He looked embarrased and scratched the back of his head. “I know I’ll love it anyway.”
“Yeah!” Sungjong chimed in. “Hyung will treasure it forever, even if its something weird or bad like dirt!”
We all burst out laughing. Even Hana. I looked at her – her smile was beautiful. Her laugh sounded like bells, no joke. Why dad I not noticed it before? It was different to all the other smiles of the girls I knew. Chaeyeon, Jiwon, all the girls I knew had those little coy, shy smiles that were alluring to guys that seemed to charm them into their hooks. Hana's smile was the opposite of theirs - toothy and cheesy. It definitely wouldn't lure me in, but at the same time it did. I felt entranced.

 

I couldn’t stop staring at her. She looked so different tonight, yet the same. Did that make sense? She looked a little embarrassed when she handed Sunggyu the present she had got him. Were they even friends? Come to think of it, I had never really seen them even speak before. This must be a really awkward moment for both of them. I burst out laughing on the spot without thinking, causing everyone to look at me. Including Hana.

 

“Sorry,” I coughed apologetically. “Just thought of something really funny.”
Hana looked at me. It was the first time her eyes had met with mine, and they were full of an emotion I couldn’t place. It was like a mixture of hurt, confusion, guilt, embarrassment and anger all in one.

 

Hana cleared and spoke with a choked up voice.
“Sorry. I guess I’m not welcome here. I’ll be going now.”
She bowed and walked out of the booth onto the dance floor. I froze. What just happened?
As soon as she was gone, Dongwoo spoke up.
“Thank God she’s gone, hyung, why did you even invite her? She’s so awkward and weird. She looks so bad tonight.” He laughed his manaical laugh.
“Ew,” he shuddered.
 

My heart sank. I wasn’t laughing at her – I was laughing at her cute reaction to Sunggyu and how she kept all formalities when talking to him. It was obvious that they weren’t close – that’s why I was laughing. Not because she was there. My heart panged. I had done it again. Humilated her publicly, played on her biggest insecurity without even realising. I was a terrible person. I knew she confided in me because she trusted me, yet I threw all her trust away: right in front of her.

 

Sunggyu nudged Dongwoo very hard in the side. He winced but got the message. I sighed and plopped back into my seat.
“Get Woohyun a drink,” Sungyeol said next to me. “As strong as possible.”

 

Well.....I'm just sick of people judging other people by how they look, you know? I bet that underneath the appearance there could be a kind heart but people just brush it off because they'd rather beauty over brains!

 

Her words echoed through my head. The waiter arrived at our booth and set down my drink. I raised the glass to my lips. I was horrible. How was I ever going to face her ever again?

 

I don’t like going to clubs >< they scare me LOL so many strangers all in one room trying to get into each others pants…….ew D:<

 

So why was she here tonight?

 

I cant dance == if I showed you, you might need to put me in a mental hospital

 

I’m sure her dancing was fine, I thought miserably as I downed my fifth shot.

 

What?! You’ve been to a strip club before?! OMO CHOIAPPLE……WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU LOL == what was it like? Haha :p

 

My favourite drink? Its lemonade! Yummy :3

 

What I do on Friday nights? I stay at home and go on tumblr! Running a blog is hard work ><

 

I had asked her countless times to give me her URL. But she wouldn’t budge. Why though? She hates me, I thought. She really, really, really, really hates me. Tenth shot.

 

No way! LOL I don’t drink~ drinking is so bad for your body, choiapple! One day, your liver will fail. And don’t say I didn’t warn you~

 

My liver was perfectly fine, what was Hana talking about? I wasn’t drinking tonight. Or was I? I looked dazedly at the glass I was holding in my hand. I was seeing double, triple glasses. So did that mean I was drunk? I guess I was. A few more drinks wouldn't hurt. But as I raised the glass to my lips, I couldn’t force it down. Her words played over again and again in my head. One day, your liver will fail. And don’t say I didn’t warn you~

Eugh. Kim Hana, you make me go insane.

 

Hana POV

 

I sat shakily down on the swingy stools of the bar. My hands were shaking, so I sat on them. I knew it was a mistake coming tonight. All I wanted to do was to thank Sunggyu for inviting me to his party, then leave, but I even couldn’t do that. I wasn’t in the same proximity as Woohyun for even five minutes before he had to laugh and mock me in front of his friends. I felt so stupid. What was hope, even? That word should be destroyed, because all hope was false. Did I really think he would change his old ways for me? I was so naïve, so gullible. The infamous Nam Woohyun, stopping drinking and going to clubs every weekend because of me, Kim Hana, who had stretch marks on her tummy, cellulite on her thighs and a pimply face? No way. Who did I even think I was?

 

I opened my phone to text Hanbyul, telling her to  have a fun time and that I didn’t feel well and that I was going home. Which wasn’t really a lie, because my head hurt from the thumping music and my heart felt beaten and battered because of its own stupidity. She had gone off somewhere with Sunggyu, so she wouldn't mind.

 

I spent the whole weekend moping. More precisely, I spent the weekend moping while doing my homework. I couldn’t concentrate and my mind wandered to the events of Friday night every five seconds and left me feeling stupid and embarrassed all over again. Come Monday morning, I was dreading school. Even the thought of his big, egoistal head made me feel nauseous. Did I really have to sit through six periods with him being in the same class as me? I really didn’t want to, but what choice did I have? I had made up my mind to avoid him at all costs – eye contact, in the hallways, his friends, anyone who was associated with him. I was going to ignore that jerk for the rest of my life.

 

I opened my locker to retrieve my physics book only to see a blood red rose fall out with a small note attached to it. I looked around to see if anyone had placed it accidently in my locker. No one in the right mind would give me roses. Wait, was it April Fool’s day? Nope. It was mid August. So why? How…? I looked around confusedly. Then I saw it. I saw him. Leaning against the wall oh so casually with his friends, looking my way intently.

 

I know I said I would ignore him for the rest of my life. But I couldn’t. He had to guts to send me a rose? To mock me? To make fun of me? I couldn’t believe this.