Friday Night~

Cinderella Story

Hana POV

That night, I was in my room with Hanbyul lying face down on my bed and listening to her ramble on and on about Sunggyu and how perfect he was. To be honest, I wasn't paying the slightest attention to her because my mind kept wandering to Woohyun now that the subject had been brought up. Wonder what he was doing now? Tonight was Thursday night. He told me that every Thursday night he would go visit his brother in the hospital. I thought of the time I said, stupidly, that once we met up we would go visit him. How unrealistic that was. We had made so many promises as friends to complete once we met up but all that went down the drain once we saw who the other was.

It bewildered me that my nice, friendly and caring partner was the most shallow and good looking guy in our year. It seemed impossible, surreal. The question that kept popping up in my mind was how one person could be so different in so many ways. How Woohyun was materialistic but choiapple wasn't. How Woohyun was stuck up and conceited and choiapple wasn't. How Woohyun was arrogant and self centred while choiapple was not. It made me wonder if I had fallen for his lie - for his charm that he just put on for an easy relationship so he could graduate easier. I knew of a few people who didn't take the project seriously that had their graduation status in jeopardy right now.

Did he put it on so it could seem like we were cooperative partners so we could he could just graduate? That seemed the likeliest reason, because how was it humanely possible for one person to have such contrasting characteristics? Was it because deep inside, Woohyun was really like choiapple but only presented himself to be arrogant and vain at school? Or was it that Woohyun was really arrogant and vain, and made up the character of choiapple to mock me?
I sighed deeply into my pillow. I was confusing myself way too much right now.

"Hana? Hello?"
I grunted into my pillow, which annoyed Byul a lot, causing her to punch me in the arm.
"What," I grumbled, sitting up.
"So? What do you say?" She demanded.
I paused and panicked. What was she talking about? Probably asking if I thought Sunggyu was handsome.


 "Uh, yeah, sure!" I answered, chuckling awkwardly. Hopefully I had not just agreed to something stupid.
"Yay! Hana, you're the best!" She cheered.
I laughed awkwardly again. "So...what's happening?" I asked casually.
"Sunggyu's party on Friday night! Come over and we'll get ready together!"
I laughed awkwardly yet again. "I didn't even get invited! I'll just stay home, Byul. Not, uh, feeling well lately."
She looked at me tiredly. "He told me to invite you. Because he doesn't have your number and can't text you."
"But," I said, confused. "I'm not even really friends with him?"


Hanbyul shrugged. But I sensed she was hiding something. "He's scared I'll be lonely, so invited you too." She paused way too casually. "Woohyun will be there too."
"Okay." I stood up. "Definitely not going."
"Eugh, I shouldn't have told you," she said. "Come on! From what you told me about him, he sounds like a great guy!"
"No, Byul! He's an evil liar, sweet talker and charmer. I don't even want to look at him! His....his perfect face makes me feel sick."
"He's the most handsome guy in school!"


I groaned, fighting the urge to agree and remembering what he had said to me before meeting. He wasn't lying - he was the most handsome guy in school.
"Byul, I'm not going. Give me Sunggyu's number and I'll tell him thanks but I'm not going. Don't look at me like that," I added. "It's no use. Not going."
"Okay. I'll make a deal with you. If you go, I'll let you borrow my car whenever you want. And I'll come with you to the library whenever you want. And I'll....I'll be your slave!"

"Please, Hana," she groaned. "Sunggyu invited me as his guest, I can't show up alone! What will his friends think? What will his other guests think? Hana," she started to rock my arm pleadingly. "I think he's gonna ask me out at the party!"
I looked at her.

I weighed my chances. Sure, I would see Woohyun there, but I could ignore him. He'd probably be too busy ting around to see me, right? I didn't want to miss this moment for Hanbyul for anything. I knew how much she liked Sunggyu.

I was still angry at him - mostly for not being able to get over his shallowness and just a bit for embarrassing me infront of the school like that. But could I be angry at Woohyun? Or was I just angry at myself because I was too scared to talk to him because of who he was? His status, his position? To talk to him when I saw a picture of his girlfriend - I could never compare. Would he still want to talk to me after he saw my face? Probably not. There was a small chance, though, that he was just getting over his initial shock. But I didn't want to take the risk in finding out.

"Fine," I sighed. "I want a new wallet for my birthday."
Byul hid a smile.
"Yay! Of course! Anything!" She rushed over and hugged me.
"What should we wear?!"



Woohyun POV

"Aw man, imagine how nice Hanbyul will look in a dress night," Sunggyu sighed on Friday at lunch. He then paused. I saw him twiddle his thumbs and give the other guys the look before speaking up again.  "Oh Woohyun, I told her to invite Hana."

I sat up straight. "What? What did you just say?"
Sunggyu chuckled.
"Hana's coming tonight! So instead of moping all day, you can finally talk to her at the club."
My heart beat quickly in my chest. I felt angry at Sunggyu for doing this. He knew I wanted to talk to her but wasn't in the position to. But I wasn't ready yet. I
"I - I, I -" I started, trying to defend myself.
"Aish, stop making excuses. You've been acting weird since Monday!" L said. I fought the urge to tell him about my brother, and how he was the reason I was acting 'weird', not Hana. At least I didn't think it was?

After lunch, we all walked to class. I felt a bit uneasy after hearing she would she there tonight because I knew she wasn't much of a club person. But who cared! Girls, alcohol and dancing - they all spelled Nam Woohyun. Tonight was going to be the night I let loose and danced and drank away all my troubles, because my life had gotten way too complicated lately.