Park Yoojin

Cinderella Story

The quadrangle echoed in silence as the whole of the twelfth grade bowed their heads in remembrance of Park Yoojin who had passed away earlier that morning. He was bashed into a coma early last year and remained unconscious until 3am earlier today where his heart failed and organs ran out. The boy that had put him like that was now in jail; his whole life ruined because of a stupid prank he played on the '' of the school.

"Now I want you all to take into consideration what we, as a school, could have done to help Kim Minho, who now sits in jail for the rest of his life. How we could have said something, said anything, to stop him from playing that dreadful prank that lead to the death of a fellow student. In many ways, we have experienced the loss of two of our students as his future is ruined due to a stupid, childish prank."

The leaves rippled in the breeze as the counsellor let the guilt sit and build inside of everyone.

"Which is why I am introducing this activity to all of you. Each of you will be paired up with an anonymous person of which you will speak to on a daily basis and discuss any problems in your life; any difficulties, any happy moments and even any sad moments."

He paused again and stared at the audience, creating a chilling effect that rippled through everyone.

"I want to stress two things. Firstly, I assure you that this is no joke. It is to be taken seriously, and if you muck this up or fail to cooperate, you will not graduate from St. Peter's College. Secondly, your identity must be kept a secret all times to your friends, teachers and mostly importantly, your partner. "

The crowd murmured unappreciatively. Being not allowed to graduate, just because of messing up a silly social project? It sounded ridiculous. But they all felt the guilt imposed upon them by the counsellor and made a mental note to cooperate because nobody wanted to see a repeat of the Yoojin incident again.

"I will be visiting your forms throughout the week to assist you in making an email address, which will all be placed in a random generator and paired up. Every  Monday morning will then be spent compulsory in the library, chatting to your partner about your lives. Whatever else you do out of school with them is none of my business." He paused.
"Information packs will be sent to your emails once you have them, and I will answer any questions you have regarding this at my office at lunch time. Thankyou for your patience. I will now hand you over to your valedictorian of 2012, Nam Woohyun."

The crowd cheered loudly and seemed to perk up immediately. For the counsellor or Woohyun, Hana Kim was unsure - but she had a gut feeling it was the latter. Of course all the girls would be cheering for Woohyun, the most handsome and talented guy in senior class - even Hana had to admit that. But his handsomeness did not balance out the fact that he was the most shallow person in the world. This shallowness applied to all aspects of his life - girlfriends, cars, clothes and even the small things like buying home brand groceries, which he made put to be a crime. This shallowness however did not make Hana hate him; it didn't bother her or interfere with her life so she left it alone, unlike half of the girls at her school that would die to get his attention.

Woohyun stepped up to the podium and the girls sitting around Hana swooned and giggled. They were discussing his new hairstyle - apparently, Woohyun had dyed it black over the summer break and gotten subtle razor layers, but how they could see that was beyond Hana.

"Hey guys." He spoke into the microphone in a cheerful voice. "We made it! Woo!"
The whole of twelfth grade erupted into cheers. Hana found it a little disrespectful that just five minutes before, they were having a minute of silence for Yoojin.
"Work hard this year because it'll pay off in the end. And - " the principal interrupted him, whispering in his ear. "And yeah. Give this email thing a go, alright guys? It's only for the first half of the year so we'll see how it goes. We all want to graduate, right?"
The crowd murmured in agreement. Hana wouldn't help notice how the audience clung onto his every word like gold. The counsellor nor the principal before Woohyun certainly did not capture their attention like he did, and thu were professional speakers. It was because the senior class had a kind of respect for Woohyun that he held equally for him. He seemed to have convinced most of the crowd to participate in the email project because they seemed much more enthusiastic after his speech.

After the assembly, the students trudged toward form to receive their timetables and hear daily notices. As promised, the counsellor arrived to each form during the week to help create emails for all the students.

"Excuse me, may I see Hana Kim, please?"
Hana stepped out of class.
"What would you like your email to be, Miss Kim? Mother's maiden name and favourite fruit."
"Ummm," she scratched her head. "Park.....pineapple?"
The counsellor scribbled something on his notebook.
"Thankyou. You will be notified next week of your partner."

"Excuse me, may I see Nam Woohyun, please?"
"What would you like your email to be, Woohyun? Mother's maiden name and favourite fruit."
He chuckled. "Choi apple, sir."

"Excuse me, may I see Lee Howon, please?"
"You know the drill. Mother's maiden name and favourite fruit."
"Kim pear, sir."

"Lee Sungjong."

"Kim Sunggyu."

"Lee Sungyeol."

"Kim Myungsoo."

"Jang Dongwoo."

"Shin Hanbyul."
Hana's bestfriend got up and quickly walked to the teacher.
"Sorry I've been absent for the past week, sir. Jang watermelon."
"Good. You're the last one. Now we can give out the pairings."
He scribbled something on his clipboard and walked away.

The crowd chattered excitedly as the  office staff set around handing out instruction sheets on how to log into the new portal website. Beside the counsellor who wrote down all the names, no other staff were to know to eliminate bias.

Hana clicked on the Internet and signed into her email.
(1) new message.


Dear Miss. Kim,
You have been paired with user 'choiapple'. Please click this link to begin chatting.

Please click this link to read the attached information brochure.

Thankyou for your cooperation.

Yours sincerely,
Woo Jihoon,
Student counsellor 2012