Chapter 7

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

Jessica lay in her room contemplating her actions from the previous night. “I suppose I can’t avoid her forever…” She snapped out of her thoughts when an obnoxious knocking could be heard at her door. Reluctantly, she gets up to answer it when she instantly stops, hearing the voice on the other side.

 

“Sica! Open up quickly please!!” The voice begged in a panicked tone. The confused girl opens the door to have none other than Sooyoung rush through the opening nearly toppling over Jessica.

 

“Yah! What are you doing so early in the morning?” Jessica fumed.

 

“Shh… keep your voice down! If anyone asks, I’m not here!” Sooyoung exclaimed, hiding behind her bed.

 

Jessica simply rolled her eyes, not bothering to ask when yet another loud knocking could be heard. She sighed as she answered it.

 

“SOOYOUNG you better…” Yoona yelled, but stopped realizing it was Jessica.  “Oh, sorry Unnie, I didn’t realize you were up… you sure have been getting up early lately!” Yoona smiled.

 

“Well it’s hard to get any sleep around here with all this racket!” Jessica explained massaging her forehead.

 

Yoona suddenly remembers her goal and asks, “Unnie, is Sooyoung here?”

 

“Uhh…” Jessica turns toward the cowering Sooyoung behind her bed, and then looks back at Yoona. “I haven’t seen her.”

 

“I see… thanks Unnie, sorry for yelling at you.” Yoona apologizes, and then goes scouting for the tall girl. Jessica closes the door and looks at Sooyoung.

 

“You can come out now.” Sooyoung breathes a sigh of relief looking gratefully at Jessica. “So, could I ask what that was about?”

 

“Oh.... well I accidentally stole her bowl of cereal.” Sooyoung explained while scratching her head.

 

Jessica raised her eyebrow. “How do you ‘accidentally’ steal someone’s breakfast?”

 

“Well it was left out on the counter, and there was no one in the kitchen, so I took it… but then Yoona found out and now she’s out to get me!” Sooyoung replied wearily.

 

“So… why doesn’t she just get another bowl?” Jessica tried to bring some logic into the situation.

 

“It was the last of it…” The taller girl said now feeling a tinge of guilt.

 

“I see…” Jessica smirks walking to the door, and begins to yell. “Yoona! She’s right here!”

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widen at the blonde-haired girl’s actions. “Sica! What are you doing?” She asked in a loud whisper.

 

Jessica raised her arms innocently. “I’m not going to be part of this and you have to pay the consequences sooner or later.”

 

“SOOYOUNG!!!!!!” The furious girl screamed down the hall causing Sooyoung to run out of the room fearing for her life.

 

Jessica smiles in satisfaction watching the scene and goes to the bathroom to get ready for another long day.

 

[Taeyeon’s POV]

 

“SOOOOOOOYOUNNNG!!!!”  A loud screeching could be heard down the hall causing me jolt up from my bed. I yawn sleepily as I glance at the clock that read 6:18am. I try to get up but I realize that I’ve lost feeling in my right arm and leg. Looking to my right, I notice a calmly sleeping girl resting her head on my outstretched arm, and her legs entangled with my right. I sigh and smile at the cute girl and gently brush her off not to wake her. “Now to see what that ruckus is about this time…”

 

Exiting the room I become startled when I see to tall figures rush past me. I quickly jump out of out of the way to avoid contact as I hear a loud crash come from the lounging room. I swiftly run over to assess the situation when I see Yoona pinning down Sooyoung as she struggled to break free. Hyoyeon emerges from her room as well and begins to cheer them on. Seohyun also watches as she stands in bewilderment at the immaturity of her unnies, as they continued to wrestle on the floor. Sooyoung then spots me and begins to beg for help. “Taeyeon… help me! She’s going to kill me!”

 

These kids sure are a handful… “Yah! You two stop it right now!” I holler over the excitement and they all look at me in obedience. “Everyone return to your rooms and get ready immediately!” The girl’s stop and scramble back to their rooms. A headache begins to form but I ignore it off as I return to my room myself.

 

As I enter I’m greeted with a hug as a small girl jumped on me. “Good morning Taengie!”

 

I smile at her friendly gesture. “Good morning Sunny. You sure have been getting home late recently… where do you go?”

 

Sunny hesitates but quickly perks up and smiles. “Oh… nowhere.” She pauses. “Do you have any plans later?”

 

I think for a moment. “I don’t believe I do. I just need to finish organizing the events for the festival next week and also tally up the budget. Oh and I need to find a DJ for the dance… and come up with new acts for entertainment because some cancelled…” My headache returns as I remember the jumble of things I need to do.

 

Sunny looks at me with furled eyebrows. “Why doesn’t the student council help you?” she questions.

 

“They are helping with the set up and with the canteen orders.”  I reply.

 

“What about the Vice Pres?” Sunny crosses her arms. “You can’t keep letting her do whatever she wants. She needs to help out too.”

 

I only shake my head. “No, It’s useless to try. I can handle it, don’t worry Sunny, I mean I am the President...” I continue. “Oh, so why did you need to know?” I suddenly remember her first request.

 

Sunny smiles kindly, “I just wanted to hang out tonight. The two of us…” She shyly asks.

 

I smile at her, “That sounds great, where do you want to go?”

 

“I was thinking at this little café, there is a park near there too. Maybe it will get your mind off things for a little.” She sheepishly says looking down.

 

“Of course!” I say as I look at the clock. “We better get going, I’ll meet you there tonight okay?”

 

“Okay!” Sunny excitedly exclaims as I leave the room.

 

===Later that day===

 

The bell rings and I gather my things when the teacher stops me. “Ah Miss Kim, could I speak to you a moment please?”

 

I walk up to him. “Yes sir?”

 

“I just wanted to see how the preparations for the festival was going.”

 

“Oh, they are going great sir. Just some last minute things we need to catch up on, but it should be a great success this year.” I proudly state.

 

He laughs at my enthusiasm. “That’s great to hear… but don’t push yourself Miss Kim, I know the VP isn’t very helpful, so I just wanted to make sure that you were doing okay.”

 

I bow. “I appreciate your concern sir, but I can handle this no problem.” Why do people doubt me? Am I possibly lacking something?  I erase these feelings and give him an assuring smile before he waves me off.

 

“Taeyeon!” A voice calls for me down the hall. I turn to notice a recognizable young girl running up to her.

 

“Yes Nicole?” I answer turning towards her.

 

“I’m glad I ran into you!” She takes a deep breath. “Okay, so about the festival next week,  Seung-yeon slipped and sprained her ankle, and we need a replacement for her. You’re the only one that I can think of that can sing/dance!” She quickly sputtered out, and I could only make out ‘ankle’, ‘replacement’ and ‘sing/dance’.

 

I fit the puzzle together. “Okay, so let me get this straight… you want me to replace someone who sprained their ankle, in your dance club for the festival?”

 

The hyper girl nodded furiously. “Please Taeyeon! You are the only one that can do it!”

 

I couldn’t resist the girl’s ‘puppy-dog’ eyes and gave in. “So when is practice?”

 

She smiles brightly and gratefully. “Tonight.”

 

I think for a moment. I swear I had something planned tonight, but then again, when DON’T I have something to do. “I’ll be there.”  I promise.

 

====Later that night====

 

I exhaustedly enter the dorm from the practice. I notice Sooyoung and Jessica on the couch watching a movie. “Hey, Sooyoung, Jessica, what are you guys watching?” When they don’t answer, I walk over to them to see Jessica’s head slide down onto Sooyoung’s shoulder and Sooyoung’s head propped against Jessica’s. “Well don’t you two look cute.” I giggle as I grab a blanket and place it over them.

 

I go to return to my room when I notice Yoona’s door propped open with her light on. Upon entering the room I see Yoona laughing and a familiar figure on the bed laughing with her.

 

“Kwon Yuri, where have you been?” I state unimpressed.

 

“Ah, Miss President, I was just about to go see you.” She smiled deviously. “I was just telling Yoona here about my holidays.”

 

“Can I speak to you?” I point to Yuri.

 

She sighs getting up and following me to my room. “So what’s up Pres? Working hard?”, referring to my sweaty head.

 

I try to contain my frustration. “Where have you been? You do know your responsibilities as Vice President.”

 

Yuri only yawns and lays back against the wall. “Look Taeyeon, you and I both know that I don’t want to be in this position.”

 

“But you are.” I interrupt her. “You could at least help.”

 

The tanned girl becomes annoyed. “Why don’t you just make Sunny VP or something? I mean she helps you with that stuff anyway…”

 

I realize that we are the only two presences in the room.  “Speaking of which…where is Sunny?”

 

“She left about an hour ago… she wouldn’t stop talking about her ‘outing’. It looked like she was going on a date.” Yuri teased remembering the small girl.

 

I slap my head with my palm, how could I be such a babo! “Oh no, Sunny!”  I rush to the door. “We’ll finish this talk later.” I threaten.

 

====At the park====

 

I rush towards the park and notice a small figure sitting on a bench checking her watch. “Sunny?” I ask as I approach the figure.

 

“Taeyeon?” She questions standing up.

 

“Sunny, look. I can explain…” I manage to sputter out before she interrupts me.

 

“I realize you have your responsibilities Taeng, but could you at least let me know?” She sniffles, and I realize that she had been crying.

 

“Sunny… I’m so sorry. Some things just came up and…” I try to explain.

 

“Don’t worry Tae. Let’s just go home, it’s getting late.” She begins to walk ahead with her head tucked into her jacket.

 

The headache returned. I quickly turn to catch her but a sudden dizziness caught me. My body starts to become weak. “Su...nny.” was the last thing I could say before everything became black.

 

[Sooyoung’s POV]

 

Slowly opening my eyes I stare blankly at scrolling credits on the screen in front of me. I lazily stretch my arms to feel something lying on my arm. I smile with contempt as I realize a blonde haired girl sleeping peacefully against my shoulder. Just as I was enjoying the moment, it is easily shattered by the blustering knock on the front door. Seeing as no one was eager to open it, I reluctantly get up and answer the continuous knocking. I was surprised to see Sunny with swollen eyes and a worried face. “Sunny, what’s wrong?” I question letting her in.

 

“It’s Taeyeon… she’s in the hospital.” She distressed.

 

I open my eyes in shock. “Why? What happened? Is she okay??” I blurt out concerned of the condition of the older girl.

 

“The doctor said that she’ll be fine, but she collapsed from exhaustion.” The small girl smirked but looked as if on the verge to cry.  “Taeng… that babo.

 

Always saying she could handle it, and pretending that she was fine. I couldn’t even see through her facade. That babo…” she looked down in shame of herself.

 

I was afraid to say anything to the fragile girl, but I didn’t need to as an unrecognizable face emerged from the bathroom. Sunny’s eyes suddenly became furious racing towards the confused girl as Sunny pushed her against the wall. “ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!” Sunny screamed.

 

“What are you talking about? The taller girl questioned calmly, only angering Sunny even more.

 

“TAEYEON IS IN THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE OF YOU!” She continued to scream causing our other dorm-mates to peek out of their rooms to check what the commotion was about.

 

“Taeyeon’s in the hospital? What happened? What did I do?”  The girl replied confused but still concerned.

 

“YOU are what happened. If you only helped her, then she wouldn’t have collapsed!” Sunny explained in a harsh tone.

 

The girl then pieced the situation together and retaliated. “It’s not my fault that happened! I already told you all that I didn’t want to be in this position!”

 

The two then began to bicker back and forth and I couldn’t help but be a bystander.

 

“STOP IT!” A voice boomed over the commotion, silencing the room. We all were shocked to see the soft-spoken Seohyun standing behind us with aggravated eyes. “Can you stop bickering? It doesn’t matter whose fault it was! We should be concerned over Taeyeon- unnies’ health.” She explained. Still in shock, we processed her logic and the two girls looked down ashamed of their actions.

 

The taller girl broke the silence. “Fine.” We all look at her. “I, Kwon Yuri… Vice President, will take over the President’s duties until she returns in full health.” She maturely states winking at Seohyun who looks down embarrassed of her outburst.

 

Jessica who finally wakes up and looks over to the group of girls. “Hey…what’s going on?” She questions.

 

 

“So sleeping beauty finally wakes up. Even all of that can’t wake you!” I tease as the other girls giggle along with me.

 

Before she could retort, her eyes meet with Yuri’s and she freezes.

 

“Hey Sica-baby, it’s been awhile.” Yuri waves at her.