Chapter 5

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

[Jessica’s POV]

It’s the first day of class without Fany. For some reason I don’t seem as depressed as I was before. I dazed out the window to clear my mind when a hand that waved in front of my face interrupted me. My eyes followed up the arm to the smiling face beaming at me. Much to my grief, I sighed and turned my head towards the window again.

 

“Jes-si-ca!” The voice happily greeted despite my obviously annoyed face. “Aren’t you excited? We’re in the same class!” she continued.

 

“No, not really Sooyoung.” I bluntly respond trying to ignore her.

 

“Ouch so cold… why not?” She childishly whined.

 

“I like my peace and quiet… that’s why.” I sigh and pull out my book hoping the teacher would come take attendance soon. I expected some more nagging but she just quietly went to her desk and started writing something in a journal. This was a rather fascinating sight. The teacher entered the room.

 

“Welcome back class… I hope you all had a nice break.” She smiled and glanced at Sooyoung. “Oh, a new face? Care to introduce yourself?”

 

Sooyoung smiled back and stood up. “Hello. My name is Choi Sooyoung. It’s nice to meet you all, I hope we can be good friends!” Her smile and bright personality seemed to draw everyone in as they clapped rather enthusiastically. She let out a sigh of relief as she sat back down. She noticed me looking at her and waved at me. Not wanting to draw any attention, I turned back to the window. The hour passed by quicker than I expected and as I was getting up to leave for the next class, Sooyoung approaches me.

 

“Jessica! What class do you have next?” She brightly asks.

 

“Phys. Ed.” I quickly try to leave, but her long strides easily keep up with me.

 

“Really? Me too!”

 

“Oh… just great.” I sigh as we approach the girl’s locker room.  As expected, her locker was right next to mine. She was first to take off her shirt and reveal her midriff. Her body was very long, slim and dark. Before I could stop myself from gazing, she noticed me looking. She leaned one arm against the locker and faced me.

 

“Like what you see?” She teased.

 

 I quickly turn away. “Yeah right Choi Sooyoung!” I could hear her giggling as she finished dressing. “Aren’t you going to change?”

 

“Aren’t you going to leave?” I could feel her eyes staring at me. 

 

“Why? Do I make you nervous?” She teased again.

 

“No! Can’t I just change without your eyes staring at me?” I angry retort.

 

“I didn’t complain when you were staring at Me.” she protested.

 

“Whatever Choi Sooyoung… and I was NOT staring...” I decided to ignore her and just wanted to get this class over with. I roughly removed my clothes and changed into my track attire. “There, satisfied?”

 

She gave me a sincere look. “You have a really pretty body…”

 

Her statement caught me off guard and I couldn’t stop myself from blushing. I quickly turn away to hide my red face. I had no idea how to respond, when a classmate calling us saved me.

 

“Hey! Are you coming?” 

 

“YES!” I quickly respond, rushing out of the change room before the moment could progress any further.

 

“Welcome back ladies!” The teacher welcomed as we approached our classmates outside. “Okay, I know it’s just the first day back, so you only have to do 4 laps around.” Everyone moaned. “Would you like to double it?” She insisted but no one argued and began running around the track. As expected, someone was quick on my heels.

 

“Hey Jessica! Wait up!” Sooyoung booms, quickly catching up from behind me. Not wanting to talk to her, I ran faster. However, Sooyoung’s long strides easily caught up to me. “Wow! You run very fast Jessica!” She panted. This caused me to go into a full sprint that even Sooyoung’s long legs couldn’t keep up with. I was rather impressed with my speed and looked back at Sooyoung who was in awe herself. The moment soon ended when I realized my uncontrollable speed was too much for my legs to handle. I tried to slow down, but it ended up being a big mistake. I planted my foot on the ground but the momentum pushed me forward, causing me to fall flat on my stomach while scraping my knees in the process. I tried to pick myself up but a jolt of pain from my knee went through me.

 

“JESSICA! JESSICA!” I looked in the direction the voice came from. Sooyoung ran towards me. “Are you okay? That looked like a nasty fall!” She seemed concerned.

 

“I’m fine. It’s just a little… ouch!” I tried to stand again but the pain shot through me.

 

She giggles. “Don’t try to play tough girl on me! Here, let me help you.” She held out her hand giving me her same kind smile that she gave me the day we met. I gave in and accepted her aid when a flash of Déjà-vu hit me.

 

{Flashback}

“Okay girls 3 more laps!” The teacher announced as we continued our laps.

 

“Fany-ah!” I called out to her as she turned and faced me. “Why don’t we have a little race? Winner buys lunch!” I challenged.

 

She smirks. “A little friendly competition won’t hurt, you’re on! Don’t think I will go easy on you!”

 

“Same for you!” We slowed our pace and I began to count down. “3…2…1… GO!” We began sprinting down the track. She began sprinting even faster, pulling ahead of me. However, I knew her weakness, she could only sprint for a short amount of time before running out of breath. I noticed she began to slow down, so I took the opportunity to pull ahead. I looked back at Tiffany to flash an arrogant smirk, but I lost my balance, and before I knew it, I lay flat on my stomach.

 

“Jessica!” She ran towards me. “Are you okay?” She gave me a worried face.

 

“I’m fine. Just a little scratch.” I rubbed my knee. How could such a little scratch hurt so much?

 

“Don’t try to play tough girl on me! Here, let me help you up.” She offered her hand to me, giving me her eye-smile.

 

{End Flashback}

 

“Jessica? Jessica?” Sooyoung waved her hand in my face and I acknowledge her. “Are you sure you’re okay? You’ll completely zoned out on me there!” She giggled.

 

“Huh? Oh… sorry.” I look down and realize that I’m tightly gripping Sooyoung’s hand. “Ah!” I quickly release my hand. I glanced up at Sooyoung who seemed to be disappointed.

 

“Are you okay Jessica?” The teacher asks as she walks up to us.

 

“Ah, yes I’ll be okay.” I replied looking down at my scraped knee.

 

The teacher studies me briefly, and sighs. “Why don’t you go to the nurse’s office and clean yourself up.”

 

I nod weakly and glance at Sooyoung. She seemed concerned and called out to our teacher. “Can I accompany her?”

 

“Despite your good intentions Miss Choi, I cannot let you get out of your laps so easily. Miss Jung will be fine, she’s had experience.” The teacher winked at me and I quickly retreated towards the nurse’s office before Sooyoung could question.

 

When I reached the infirmary, I slowly opened the door. The smell of rubbing alcohol and strong cleaning sanitizers brought back memories of my last visit. There was a pleasant chime when I entered the room and I noticed a small bell attached to the door. I didn’t remember that from my last visit.

 

“Sounds nice don’t it? I thought that it would lighten up the mood a little. The room was a little draining.” The nurse kindly smiled then glanced at my knee. “Oh, it looks like you got into a bit of an accident. Why don’t you take a seat over here and I’ll grab a bandage.” I walked over and sat on the sturdy wooden chair she pointed to. She was fairly young but looked frail. Her touch was surprisingly delicate as she placed the bandage over my wound.

 

“Thank-you.” I bow my head.

 

“Of course Jessica, it’s been awhile since I’ve last seen you.” She glances over at a girl soundly resting on a bed across the room and her expression changes. I peer over at the girl sleeping on the bed.

 

“She’s still here?” I solemnly question.

 

“Yeah, poor thing. She didn’t even get to go home for the holidays.”

 

I look down. “Please wish her well for me.”  

 

“Oh, you don’t need to worry. She’ll probably be out and about by tomorrow.” The nurse thoughtfully assured me.

 

I let off a faint smile before leaving back to my class. I return to see the class breathlessly running drills as they dreadfully waited for the bell to ring. I hid around the corner amusingly watching Sooyoung’s misery. Sweat dripped from head to toe, soaking her clothes nearly making them transparent. Her dark skin soaked the heat from the scorching sun while she panted hard. Many minutes pass; I couldn’t stop staring at her when the bell abruptly stopped my trance. Everyone began walking towards the locker room. Just as I realize what happened, I casually walk out of the locker room and apologized to the teacher for taking so long and making an exaggerated excuse. The teacher swiftly waves me off, clearly wanting to get out of the scorching sun as well. I let out a sigh of relief when I feel two arms embrace me from behind, around my neck.

 

“Siiica… where were you? I was worried…” The flimsy girl whined, resting her sweaty body on me.

 

“YAH! Choi Sooyoung! You’re all sweaty and stinky!” I quickly shoulder her off me.

 

“I’m sorry… I’m so tired… it felt like boot camp!” She complained trying to use me as a pillow again.

 

“Go wash off! You smell REALLY bad!” I gesture holding my nose.

 

“Yah! That’s not nice Sica! You would smell too if you actually showed up!” she sneered.

 

“Well it’s your fault I got a scraped knee anyway…” I cross my arms.

 

She gives me a confused look. “My fault? What did I do?”

 

I was about to answer, but instead shook my head. “Never mind, I need to go to my next class.” I changed back into my clothes and hurried to my next class.

 

[Sooyoung’s POV]

My fault? How was that my fault, she was the one running like a maniac down the track. She must have enjoyed watching my misery from afar; I should start planning my revenge. I giggle to myself, washing off and quickly changing into my clothes.