Chapter 13

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

A buzzing could be heard in the room as a hand reached out towards the table to grab the irritating object.

“Errgh.”  Jessica grumpily answered the phone, her voice hoarse and raspy. “What do you want?”

“Jess… is that you?” The voice on the other side asked.

She cleared . “Yeah, what do you want? Who is this?” she was still dazed and grumpy.

“Awh that hurts Jess…” The latter whined.

Jessica wasn’t the mood for whiny/aegyo-filled voices. Especially when she just woke up. “Look, I’m hanging up now try again later…”

Just as she was about to press the red button the voice spoke hastily. “Wait Wait! It’s me, Tiffany!” 

Jessica brought the phone back to her ear. “Tiff, you know I don’t DO mornings.”

“I know Jess, sorry. I just wanted to ask if you were busy today?”

The tired girl yawned. “No, wae?”

She could feel Tiffany’s eye-smile through the phone. “Great! Did you want to come over the flower shop today? I’m working right now and I’m really bored…”

Jessica sighed heavily. “Uh, I guess so.” She had to pull the receiver away from her ear when Tiffany squealed loudly.

Sooyoung stirred beside Jessica with her arms still clinging to the girl. “I’m hanging up now Tiff, I’ll see you later.”

“Okay, See you~” Tiffany sang before Jessica hung up her phone, throwing it back onto the bedside table then resting her head back down into her pillow.

-----------Later--------

*BANG*

Sooyoung hit her head under her desk as she crawled along the floor.

“Mm…” Jessica opened her eyes, slightly disappointed that the surprisingly comfortable warmth on her back was missing.

“Oh sorry for waking you Sica!” Sooyoung quickly apologized before returning to her search.

Jessica lazily rubbed her eyes. “What are you doing?”

“I’m looking for something… I swear I had it…” Sooyoung frantically pulled up the bed skirt and almost crawled underneath the bed.

Jessica giggled lightly at the sight before her. “What are you looking for? I’ll help you if it’s that important.” She sat up and stretched her stiff limbs.

The tall girl just shook her head. “N..no! I mean, Uh… I found it!” Sooyoung grabbed the nearest object she could find and held it up.

“A pen?” Jessica asked raising her brow.

Sooyoung just laughed awkwardly. “Yeah! I’ve been looking for this everywhere! He he he…”

The latter only shook her head before proceeding to the bathroom. “You’re weird Choi Sooyoung.”

Sooyoung continued to laugh awkwardly until Jessica disappeared. ‘OMO where did it go?! I was going to give it to her today…’ Sooyoung frowned.

There was an abrupt knock on the door and she opened it to reveal a small girl. “Oh, Sunny-ah, what’s up?” she greeted.

Sunny smiled cutely. “Nothing much~ Hyoyeon was looking for you earlier, but you were still sleeping so she said if you have time, to meet her in the dance studio.”

Sooyoung looked at her in confusion. “Heh? Why?”

Sunny shrugged her shoulders. “She was talking about some dance competition or something?” she was confused herself.

Sooyoung hit her head with her palm. “Oh right! I totally forgot!”

Sunny just giggled. “Oh and by the way… Hyo made breakfast this morning. She seemed to be in a really good mood.”

My mouth instantly watered at the mention of food. “I’ll be right out!” She excitedly exclaimed.

“Okay, you might want to hurry though, Yoona is already eating…” Sunny warned the shikshin.

Without another word, she jolted out of the room towards the kitchen.

 

[Jessica’s POV]

I exited the bathroom to an empty room. I glanced at the clock that read 9:37am.  I wonder when Tiff called me… I was half-asleep so I could barely remember how our conversation went. All I really caught was visiting her flower shop. It’s been at least a year since I had last been there. I wonder if it changed…

*CRASH*

I heard a loud noise emit from outside the room. Curious, I left towards the kitchen where the two shikshins were at it…yet again.

“YAH SOOYOUNG-AH! GIVE ME BACK MY PLATE!!” Yoona yelled across the table.

“No! You had 2 helpings already! I thought we’d agree to split it 50/50!” Sooyoung retorted taking a large bite out of a piece of toast.

“Since when?! I’m hungry! I need my energy up today, I have to practice my play!” Yoona whined.

“I need to practice my dance! It requires a lot more energy!” Their constant bickering about food was now a natural occurrence in the dorm. No one bothered to question it. Actually, now that I think about it, this is the first time I’ve actually witnessed it. I usually sleep through this, but I couldn’t believe how absolutely ridiculous their arguments were.

“I’m taller! I need more food!” Sooyoung pouted.

“Barely! I’m prettier, I need more nutrients!” Yoona shot back.

They continued to run around like mad people. “Yah! Who says? My bare face is nothing to mess with!” The fight easily turned into a “who is prettier” contest.

I couldn’t help but laugh at them.

“Aish these kids…” Taeyeon entered yawning loudly. She glanced at me. “Oh, good-morning Jessica.” She greeted.

“Good morning Tae.” I greet back. She had small bags under her eyes. “Rough night?” I asked as she took a seat.

She nodded. “It’s really something… this year seems so much more busier than the last.”

“Well don’t pushed yourself too hard again…” I respond concerned.

“Don’t worry, I’m strong as a horse now!” she demonstrated flexing her arms. I only smiled in response at her dorkiness.

Sunny followed shortly after and began massaging the older girl’s shoulders.

“Let me grab you a plate Tae.” Sunny offered and Taeyeon delightfully accepted.

I scoffed silently at their interactions, but at the same time sort of envied it.

Just then Sooyoung popped up beside me. “Tell me the truth Sica, I’m prettier than her right?” she pointed to Yoona.

I chose to ignore her question, standing up to grab some food and she frowned.‘I think you’re far prettier…’ I surprised myself with my own thoughts. I shook my head and focused on my food.

The two panted heavily from all of the bickering, and gulped down large glasses of water. “Gah, I feel hungry again…” Sooyoung rubbed her stomach.

“Me too.” Yoona complained as well.

“When are you guys NOT hungry?” Taeyeon commented causing laughter to erupt in the room.

“That’s true…” Yoona and Sooyoung admitted with embarrassment.

“Have you seen Hyoyeon unnie anywhere?” Seohyun came into the room carrying a folder full of music sheets.

“She went to the dance studio, why?” Sunny responded. 

Seohyun glanced away for a moment before gently smiling. “It’s nothing. I’ll be taking my leave then.” She bows before exiting the room.

“Well that was weird…” Yoona mumbled with a baffled expression.

“I agree… “ Everyone nodded.

“Okay! Done!” Taeyeon shouted happily in English. I giggled at her heavy accent.

“Me too! Let’s go Taeng!” Sunny voice filled with aegyo and I threw her a look of disgust before they left.

I look around the room. “Where’s Yuri?” Yoona and Sooyoung shrugged.

I suddenly felt a pair of arms wrap around my neck. “You called Sica-baby~” she whispered in a low voice.

I coldly shrug her off and she laughed playfully. I could notice Sooyoung become uncomfortable and began playing with her phone.

“I told you not to call me that.” I pouted at the black-haired girl. She giggled.

“I know, but I really can’t help it.”

I sigh and look at the time. It was now 10:43am.

“I’m going to go meet Hyoyeon now.” Sooyoung got up putting her plate away.

“What for?” I asked curiously.

“Oh I forgot to tell you Sica, I’m going to be her partner in the dance battle at the festival!” She excitedly

I raised my brows. “You dance?” Yuri and Yoona seemed surprised as well.

She nodded. “That reminds me! Are you going to the festival?”

I shook my head. “Wasn’t planning on it.”

She pouted. “Awh, wae Sica?”

I smirked. “Never have, never will.” I bluntly replied. 

“Come on, it will be fun!“ she pouted.

“No.” I glared at her.

“There are going to be so much stuff there though! Like the dance battle, Yoona’s  play—“

Before she could finish, I interrupted her. “I just don’t like festivals okay?! Just leave it at that!” I didn’t mean to come off as harsh as I sounded, but she decided to drop the subject.

She stood up straight and smiled. “I understand. I’ll be going now then. Bye!”

Yoona also waved us off.

I felt kind of bad, but truthfully I really didn’t like festivals. Well actually, any crowded place.

{Flashback}

I was about 5 or 6 years old, and went to the amusement park with my mom and sister.

“I want to look at the fish!” I whined to her.

“Okay okay honey. Wait here; we’ll be right back I need to take your sister to the washroom.” With that she left with Krystal and I happily watched all of the fish.

“Come one, come all! Great prizes to be won!” A man at a game stall shouted while holding a stuffed puppy plushy. My face brightened up and I ran over to the stand.

He didn’t seem to notice me, so I tugged on his shirt. “Excuse me Mister.”

“Oh, hello there. Shouldn’t you be with your mommy and daddy?” He bent down to eye level.

I shook my head and pointed at the stuffed puppy. “I want that!”

He laughed. “Do you have tickets to play?”

I shook my head again and pointed at the puppy. “I just want that puppy!”

He chuckled again. “You have to play to win the puppy dear.”

“Can I have it… pweeease?” I put every ounce of aegyo into my tone.

“Ah…” he sighed before getting up and grabbing the plushy. “Alright, this will be our little secret okay?” He handed me the puppy and I squealed with delight.

“Thank you mister!” I jumped up and down while hugging the toy.

“Okay dear, now go back to your mom and dad.” He waved me off and I pranced away.

I returned to the fountain and waited for my mom and sister to return.

Some time had passed and it was getting a bit dark. I decided to go look for them. “Mommy!” I yelled out through the crowd.

My heart began to beat rapidly. I ran through the tall legs. It seemed like I was running through a forest, only worse. I kept getting strange glances, and the people’s voices echoed as I rushed looking for any familiar face.

“MOMMY!” I kept screaming. I was running out of breath in my panic and got knocked down. I dropped my toy and I tried to reach for it but it got kicked away. I chased after it. After picking it up, its arm was nearly torn off.

The area boomed with loud laughter and yelling and people kept bumping into me. I placed my hands over my ears hoping to drown out the noise and began sobbing.

After awhile, I felt a pair of hands touch my shoulders. I looked up and it was the same man who gave me the plushy.

“Are you okay? What’s the matter?” he asked with a concerned look on his face.

“I..can’t…find…my…m-mommy.” I replied between sobs.

He helped me back to my feet. “There, there. I’ll help you find your mommy okay?”

After what seemed to be a long search, I found my mom talking to a security man. I let go of the man’s hand and ran to my mom.

I was greeted with cries and hugs from the latter as she scolded me, yet comforted me at the same time.

The man that helped me caught up. My mom looked at him. “Thank-you so so much.”

“It was no problem. By the way, this is yours.” He handed me the plushy.

I smiled and hugged it.

{End Flashback}

 

Ever since then, I’ve hated crowds. It’s even gotten to the point where I wait a few minutes after class until the hallway clears out. I never went to concerts. I never went to any huge events, let alone a festival. That’s just asking for mental suicide.

Yuri patted my back. She’s the only one I’ve admitted this to. She actually found out by accident, but she was surprisingly supportive.

“Want to go for a walk?” she asked, her hand still on my back. I nodded.

----10 minutes later----

We were walking silently for the past 10 minutes when Yuri stopped.

“Jessica.” She looked at me. I looked at her waiting for her to continue.

“You should go to the festival.” She said in a calm voice.

“I already told you Kwon Yuri. I’m not going… you know why.” I mumbled in response.

She looked into my eyes. “Jessica, there are 7 billion people on this earth. You can’t expect to escape every crowded place. You’re eventually going to have to face up to it.”

I bowed my head down. She was right, but I shivered at the thought. “I know that. Just not right now.”

Yuri sighed. “I need to go back to the campus for a bit. I just remembered I had an appointment.”

I knew what she was referring to and nodded. “I’m going to go visit Tiff at the flower shop.”

“Okay, I’ll see you then.” Yuri turned around. “…At least consider what I said.”

I smiled at her. “I’ll think about it.”

----Flower shop----

I arrived at the flower shop and found Tiffany helping out a customer pick out some flowers. She was wearing a bright pink uniform (of course) that had the shop name and logo embedded on the front. She also wore a bright pink flower clip on her head. Her entire ensemble was very cute.

She took notice of me, smiling instantly. She raised her index finger at me, gesturing to give her a minute. I nodded entering the shop breathing in the fresh smell of various flowers. I really missed coming here. It was relaxing and brought up memories.  Nothing had really changed. I mean, it got a paint job, but the overall look was the same. There was still a little coo-coo clock on the top wall by the counter.

When Tiffany was done she rushed over to me giving me a big hug. I was startled but returned it. “I thought you’d never come.” I heard her faintly whisper.

I giggled. “You just called me this morning Tiff.”

We released the hug. “I know Jess, but it feels like forever ago!”

“You’re quite a funny person Tiff.” I smiled.

She smiled back. “I try…OH!” she turned around towards the counter and pulled out a bouquet of yellow flowers. “I got these for you!”

She handed me the bouquet and I smelt them. They smelt sweet and refreshing.

“I figured they’d look nice in our-- I mean you and Soo’s room. They represent happiness and joy… because I always want you to be happy…” Her face reddened.

I hug her. “Awh that’s sweet Tiff thanks a lot!”

I could feel her tighten the hug. “I mean it Jess. Keep smiling okay?”

I nod. There was silence, but it wasn’t an awkward silence. More like a comfortable silence.  

“Grand-daughter, what are you—omo!” I heard a voice come from the counter.

“Grandma! Remember Jess?” Tiffany pulled me forward.

“Ah yes! How have you been dear?” The older woman smiled warmly.

I bowed respectively. “I have been fine. It’s great to see you in good health.”

She chuckled. “No need to be so formal. Any friend of our grand-baby is also part of the family.” I smiled thanking her.

“Grandma, do you mind if we go get something from the café?” Tiffany asked.

She nodded. “Of course. You’ve been working hard, go spend some time with your friend.”

Tiffany hugged her grandma tightly. “Thanks! Love you~” she pecked her cheek before grabbing my hand and pulling me out the door.

“You are so close with your grandma Tiff.” I commented on our way to the café.

She grinned. “Of course, we are like best friends!”

I playfully pouted. “I thought I was your best friend!”

She slowed down and turned back to me. “You’re more than my best friend Jess. You’re like, my sister... no matter what, we’ll always have an inseparable bond.”

I tightened my hand in hers. “You’re so cheesy Tiff.” I stick my tongue out at her.

She tightens her grip as well. “Let’s go.” We continue to walk to the café. 

-------------------

I may be updating a little slower after this just because I have an essay due at the end of the week, so I need to work on it and I also have a math test tomorrow.... I guess I should go study now *pout*  

Comments? ^_^