Chapter 3

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

[Sooyoung’s POV]

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining through the cracks in between the curtains of the room. I sleepily got up and opened them to uncover a beam of light that illuminated the room. I noticed a peacefully sleeping being beside me. Only her head peeked out as she soundly let out small breaths. The light beamed off her pure white skin, which made her look angelic. However, I knew that behind that peaceful slumber, was a scary, cold creature just waiting to awaken. I giggled to myself as I went to the bathroom to shower.  The warm water felt refreshing as it flowed down my body. I return to my room only to see the creature still sleeping. I tried to nudge her to wake up, but she didn’t even flinch. I tried again, a little harder, still no response. I continue to try, to the point where I violently shook her. Her body felt cold, almost like a corpse. I shivered.  

 

“Mmm…” She started to mumble.  “F…fa..ny.. “

 

“She must be pretty special to be on your mind all of the time...” I sigh as I step away from her bed. I notice a picture of two girls on her desk. I glance at the picture, which had a blonde girl wrapping her arm around another girl of similar height with medium length, dark brown hair who was eye-smiling at the camera. “So that’s Tiffany huh?” she looks kind of familiar…

 

“Don’t you know better than peeking at other’s people’s things?” A voice behind me asked in an angry tone.

 

“Oh sorry.” I apologize.  “You weren’t waking up so, I didn’t have much to do, seeing as you need to show me around campus today. “

 

“Oh, right. Well that’s no excuse… why didn’t you wake me?” She rubbed her eyes.

 

“Well excuse me for having to set off a nuclear bomb just to wake you up! Honestly…”

 

“What are you talking about?” She innocently asks. I was about to respond when we were interrupted by a voice. 

 

“It’s good to see you guys are getting along well.” 

 

Jessica looks toward the door. “I don’t know what your idea of getting along is Taeyeon but this isn’t exactly what I call ‘getting along.’”

 

Taeyeon giggles. “Well there was quite a lot of excitement yesterday.”  She looks at me. “So, you’re Sooyoung right?”

 

Confused, “How did you know that?” I observe the small girl standing at the door.

 

“Well I wouldn’t be a good Student Council President if I didn’t know about the transfer students.” She smiled.

 

“ You’re the S.C. President?” I asked surprised.

 

“Yes I am, why do you sound so surprised?”

 

“Ah no reason … so you live here too?” I asked curiously.

 

“Yep, school is starting up tomorrow and I have to prepare for the upcoming festival activities.” She explained.

 

“A…a festival?” I gulped at the thought. I’ve never really liked festivals…

 

“Yeah, we have one every year to promote the different clubs and activities this school has to offer. Different schools come to visit too. It’s pretty exciting.” She continued, “We usually have it towards the end of the year, but schedules are tight this year.”

 

Although this girl was small and kid-like, she gave off a mature vibe. Very organized and passionate, perhaps I was too quick to judge. “Sounds cool, so when is it?”

 

“Only about a month or so away, so not much time to prepare… speaking of which, I need to go, it was nice meeting you, feel free to stop by my room if Jessica is too boring for you.” She teased.

 

“By all means, take her!” Jessica retorted.

 

“Oh I’m sure I’ll never get bored with her, that’s for sure.” I giggled recalling yesterday’s events.

 

“Whatever Choi Sooyoung.” Changing subjects,  “So do you want that tour or what?”

 

“Oh! Jessica, while you’re at it, can you do me a favor and get the dance club’s activity form? I need to approve it.” Taeyeon interrupts.

 

“Sure thing, Prez, Let’s get this over with Sooyoung…” Jessica sighs as she walks out of the room at a fast pace. I run to catch up to her.

 

“Hey, what’s the hurry? Or did you just want to spend time alone with me?” I teased as she continued to walk even faster.

 

“As if Sooyoung, I just want to get this over with, because the less time I spend doing this, is more time I get to read my book.” We walked down the stairs. Or more like, ran down the stairs.

 

Our steps echoed down the stairs “If you keep running down at this pace, people might think an elephant is trampling down the stairs!” Just as I finish she turns to glare at me but her momentum going down causes her foot to slip, and her hand misses the railing. Without second thought I lunge my long arm forward grabbing her wrist with my other hand firmly grasping the railing. I could have sworn she was blushing, but quickly regained her balance and pulled away her wrist. “Are you… okay?” I asked concerned.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine, if you didn’t say such stupid things…” she pouted. I couldn’t resist smiling at her but she only gave me a cold shoulder and proceeded down the stairs…slower this time.

 

She pointed out a few different classrooms until we approached a room with music blaring out of it. We entered the room to see a girl in a slim fitting shirt, with baggy pants and long brown hair dancing to the beat. It was amazing; it was as if it was her body’s second nature to move with the music. No, it seemed like she was conducting the music with her body.

 

“Hey! Hyo!” Jessica attempted grab her attention, but the girl was in her own world. “Hyoooo…” she continued but the girl was still moving to the rhythm. Jessica then proceeded to the CD player and turned it off. The girl instantly stopped moving and acknowledged us.

 

“Oh, hey Jess.” The girl kindly greeted. “What’s up?”

 

“Prez wants the activity form.” Jessica bluntly responded.

 

“Oh yeah, sure thing, but aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend?” She smiled at me.

 

“It’s not important… I just need the form.” Jessica holds out her hand to retrieve the form.

 

“Yah! That’s not nice!” I angrily cross my arms.

 

Jessica sighs. “She’s Sooyoung, my new…”

 

“Girlfriend.” I interrupt teasingly as revenge.

 

She stares at me coldly, “No! She’s just…”

 

The girl laughs, “Omo… What will Fany say about this?”

 

“SHE’S JUST MY ROOMATE!” Jessica bursts out.

 

I couldn’t resist this perfect opportunity. “But Sica… That’s not what you told me last night…”

 

The girl begins to laugh. “You have a funny roommate Jess! I wish mine was as funny!” she continues, “Well anyway, my name is Kim Hyoyeon! I’m the leader of the dance club! It’s really nice meeting you, I hope we can become better friends!” she enthusiastically proclaims.

 

“Oh not you too… what do you people see in her??” Jessica frustrated as she proceeds to walk off.

 

“Wait! I haven’t given you the form yet!” Hyoyeon calls after her but she continues walking. 

 

I smile, “I’ll take it, it was nice meeting you too! Maybe you can show me some dance moves later.”

 

“Of course! Stop by anytime!” She waves goodbye as I run to catch up to Jessica. I notice her sitting on a bench in the cafeteria, sighing as I approach her.

 

“Well this is the cafeteria… you eat here… that’s about it. Moving on.” She gets up and walks down the hallway.

 

“You are a very blunt person...” I complain. She turns around, clearly annoyed.

 

“Look, if you’re not happy with it, we can just end it here.”

 

“Okay, I’m sorry. I’m very grateful for you showing me around.” I look down as if I was an elementary student being scolded, hoping that she would show sympathy. However, not to much surprise, she just gives me a cold shoulder and keeps walking. I sigh and smile to myself as I obediently follow and we continue the tour. After a while we hear a piano coming from the music room. As we approach closer, I notice a young, innocent, solemn looking girl with long, straight black hair. Her hands moved on their own as she closed her eyes concentrating.

 

“Wow, she’s really good, who is she?” I whisper to Jessica who seems to be enjoying as much as I.

 

“She’s SeoHyun. Head of the music club, but I heard that not many people join because she’s strict. At least that’s what I hear. She lives in our dorm but spends most of her time here.” She explained.

 

“Strict huh? She looks so innocent… the music is so refresh…YAAAAAAHHH!”  I sneezed, but it sounded thunderous in the calm atmosphere. The piano instantly stopped.

 

“Is… someone there?” SeoHyun calmly asked as she looked up. “Jessica…and friend?”

 

Well that was embarrassing… “Yeah, sorry about that, my name is Choi Sooyoung, I’m Jessica’s…” Jessica coldly glared at me, “…roommate and you played beautifully by the way.”

 

“Yeah, until you messed it up.” Jessica says while giving me a teasing smile.

 

I raised my arms and shrugged, “It wasn’t my fault… when you gotta sneeze, you gotta sneeze!”

 

Jessica was about to say something when we heard giggling from the room. “You two sure are getting along well.” Seohyun says in a kind tone, while innocently smiling.

 

“Not you too!” Jessica puts her hand on her face and looks down while shaking her head.

 

“Well I guess it’s official, we’re are perfect match!” I enthusiastically state and put my arm around her. She quickly shouldered my arm away still covering her face.

 

“Whatever Choi Sooyoung. We better get back to our dorm.” She proceeds to walk away towards our dorm.  I sigh.

 

“I wouldn’t worry too much about her, that’s just her way of showing affection.” Seohyun kindly smiled at me.

 

I smile back, “Thanks, I know, but that’s what I like about her.”

 

“Well you two should get along just nicely then… now if you don’t mind.” She turns back to the piano.

 

“Of course, see you around!” I wave to her and return to my room where Jessica is already comfortably settled into her book… at least that’s what I expected to see. She was on her laptop smiling and laughing. This was definitely a new sight for me… I wonder what she could be doing… resisting the temptation to ruin her moment; I grabbed my camera and took a picture of her. I was sure that she would have showed me her pouty face or even roll her eyes, but she didn’t… I was completely ignored. This frustrated me, and just made me more curious to what she was doing, so I decided to lean over and take a peek…