Chapter 17

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

-----Flower Shop----

I was finally met with the fresh smell of lavender and daisies as I approached the door. I peered inside, hoping to catch a glimpse of Jessica, but it seemed pretty empty, aside from the occasional customer admiring the beautiful arrangements.

I walked in the store. It was pretty nice I had to admit. It almost felt like I was walking through a garden or forest from the way the long vines and stems stretched along the interior from the various exotic plants.

“Can I help you young lady?” an older woman asked kindly.

I shook my head. “Aniyo, I was just looking for my friend…” I explained.

She smiled kindly. “Oh, are you a friend of Tiffany’s as well? Jessica just stopped by and they went out… they haven’t returned yet.”

‘So Jessica was here… but where did they go?’ I thought for a moment.

“Do you know when they’ll be back?” I asked the older lady I assumed to be grandmother.

“I don’t dear, but why don’t you have some tea? They should be back shortly.” She offered.

I smiled. “Oh no… I wouldn’t want to intrude…”

She waved her hands at me. “No, no! Don’t be silly! Come!” she began to walk off towards the back of her shop.

I couldn’t say no and just followed her.

We walked up some stairs to the upper level. There were various rooms, the kitchen, the living room, and a few bedrooms. I guess they lived just above their shop.

“Here you are dear.” The ahjumma handed me a small cup of scolding green tea.

I bowed respectively. “Thank you!”

She just chuckled. “They should be back soon, do make yourself at home! I have to go tend to the shop. I’ll let them know you’re here when they return.” With that, she disappeared down the stairs.

I was surprised at her hospitality. For all she knows, I could be some crazy robber or serial killer or something. Even so, I don’t think anyone would have the heart to harm such a kind old lady.

I took careful sips of my tea and observed the room. It was small, but cozy. There was a little T.V. in the corner; with of course, flowers pretty much on every table. They gave a nice, fresh scent to the room.

After awhile, I yawned. When will they get back already? I wonder what they are doing. Let’s see. They’re alone. They haven’t seen each other in ages and they seem to be really close to each other.

I couldn’t help but have an uneasy feeling in my chest. I would be lying if I said I didn’t envy their close bond.

Tiffany didn’t seem like a bad person either… actually quite the opposite. She was caring, funny and kind. She was fluent in English too. She is quite pretty as well, with her long, wavy hair and gosh, that eye-smile.

What did I have? I was loud, a prankster and a shikshin. I knew a bit of Japanese. I have short, choppy hair… not to mention slightly boyish persona. ‘Yeah, real attractive Sooyoung.’

Why am I even comparing myself to her anyway?

Tiffany’s eye-smile suddenly came into mind. The one she always gives Sica. ‘Hmm… I wonder…

I pulled out my phone and turned the camera on. I gave my best smile, while wincing my eyes together.

Snap!

I looked at the picture. Oh my… I looked like an idiot! It’s probably the lighting.

I stood up near a window, taking another picture.

Snap!

I looked at the result, quickly deleting it.

Okay, maybe it’s a little harder than I thought.

I began to walk around the room, taking many angles and poses. I was completely immersed in selca photos, determined to master the art of the eye-smile.

I tried again, forcing my eyes into crescents.

All of a sudden I heard giggles.

“What are you doing?” an all too familiar voice asked in an amused tone.

I turned my direction towards the door, only to find none other than Jessica and Tiffany staring at me in bewilderment.

I quickly closed my phone and tried to regain my composure, which failed miserably.

“Y-yah! W-what took you s-so long? I w-was j-just waiting…” I attempted to rid of the humiliating atmosphere.

Jessica smirked walking towards me, swiftly grabbing my phone.

I bounced up an attempted to grab my phone back. “S-SICA GIVE THAT B-BACK!” I flustered out.

She opened up my previous photos and scrolled through the various selcas.

“OMO! Why are you making such funny faces!”  Jessica burst out laughing.

‘AAAAHHH OOOTTTOKAEEE!?’ I mentally screamed in embarrassment as I chased her around the room.

I noticed her eyes watering from laughing. “W-wait… are you t-trying to eye-smile??” She asked between breaths.

“N-n-n-nooo!!” I tried to defend myself, but it was useless.

I noticed Tiffany also giggling.

My face was burning with embarrassment.

“Awh… Sooyoungie is all red~” Jessica continued to tease.

I managed to grab her from behind and desperately reached for my phone.

“Ah Sooyoung! Stop!” Jessica giggled out still holding my phone out of reach.

“Give it back!” I giggled myself.

I spun her around while we were just laughing and soon I forgot about my phone.

Tiffany stood aside awkwardly watching the scene and coughed loudly to grab our attention.

We stopped and my arms were still wrapped around Jessica’s waist. I noticed this and quickly retracted my hands. Jessica slid my phone into my hand and gave me a quick smile.

There was a brief silence before I suddenly remembered the box.

“Oh Tiffany, someone wanted me to give this to you.” I said grabbing the box from the table and gave it to her.

Her facial expression changed into a confused one as she inspected the box.

“Thanks… uhm, Jessi, my grandma wanted help with cutting the stems on the roses, could you start that for me? I need to put away the bags.” She said referring to the various shopping bags on the floor.

“Sure…” Jessica agreed and walked out of the room.

“Oh! I’ll help y—“ I was about to follow but Tiffany stopped me.

“Could you help me carry these to my room?” She asked with her sweetest voice.

I nodded and picked up a few bags and followed her to her room.

When she opened the door I almost toppled backwards as I was blinded by bright pink. There was a pink bed, pink walls, pink lamp, and pink stuffed toys. Heck, the carpet was even pink! My mouth gaped open as I observed the small, but comfortable room.

I set the bags down and she closed the door behind me.

Her bright smile instantly turned into a dark expression. She held up the box.

“Who gave this to you?” She asked in a rather scary tone. I gulped and backed off a little.

“Some guy… he saw me heading here so he told me to give it to you… he told me that he was a family friend.” I replied, a little nervous from the way she narrowed her eyes at me.

“And you usually give into stranger’s requests?” she continued to interrogate.

“He seemed like a decent enough guy and he appeared to know you so I just assumed—“

“You shouldn’t assume things like that… people aren’t always who they appear to be.” She cut me off averting her eyes to the ground.

“I’m sorry… I didn’t mean--”

She heaved a sigh. “No, I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have burst out at you. It’s just that guy…” She softened her gaze. “He isn’t exactly a family friend… he--“

“Tiffany? Sooyoung? Are you okay up there?” Tiffany’s grandmother called from the stairs.

I wanted Tiffany to continue, but it looked like she wasn’t going to carry on. “Better get going before my grandma starts getting ‘suspicious’” She joked, brightening the mood. Just before she walked out, she whispered, “Sorry again... that wasn’t like me.”

I waved it off tell her that it wasn’t a big deal. She bowed slightly in appreciation and we headed downstairs. 


 

Sorry kind of a lame update... I just wanted to post another chapter before I went to bed...

Next chapter is going to be LOTS and LOTS of Soosic... so much that your fingers and toes will curl xD 

Just a question, do you prefer short, but faster updates or long but slower updates?  

Comments? :)