Chapter 4

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

Jessica was happily smiling and laughing as her eyes were merged to her computer screen unaware of Sooyoung’s looming presence.

 

“Wow… that’s a nice picture!” Sooyoung abruptly points out causing Jessica to jump nearly dropping her laptop.

 

Recovering and holding her chest, “Will you stop doing that?!?” Jessica screamed, hitting Sooyoung with all her might.

 

“Aish… you don’t need to be so rough. I was just complimenting the photo.” Sooyoung whined rubbing her shoulder.

 

“Well haven’t I already told you to stop peeking at my stuff?!” Jessica retorted.

 

“It’s not my fault… with your eyes glued to your computer like that, I was starting to think that you were looking at inappropriate things.” She teased with her same teasing smirk.

 

“Whatever Choi Sooyoung…” Jessica looks back at her laptop.

 

“That’s your new punch line now isn’t it?” Sooyoung laughed but Jessica’s attention was back at her computer. “Well I got your attention for a little while anyway…” After a few minutes of twiddling her thumbs, “Siiiica… I’m bored, let’s go out!” she whines.

 

“No.” Jessica bluntly replies.

 

Unsatisfied, “Make something to eat?” Sooyoung suggests.

 

“No.”

 

“How about we play a game?”

 

“Sure, let’s play the quiet game.” Jessica cheekily replies.

 

“Boo… you’re no fun.” Sooyoung childishly pouts then sighs. “Well fine, you can lazily lie there, I’m going out!”

 

“Go right ahead.” Jessica is still absorbed by her computer while Sooyoung leaves to the room across from her. She knocks on the door to be greeted by the smaller girl.

 

“Oh, hello Sooyoung. What brings you here?” Taeyeon questions.

 

“Nothing really… just a boring roommate.” She smiles.

 

Taeyeon giggles. “I thought so… just give me a…” Suddenly, a girl about the same height as Taeyeon with long, wavy brown hair walks up behind her rubbing her eyes.

 

“Taengoo… who are you talking to?” the girl sleepily yawns.

 

Before she can answer she becomes flustered at the girl’s appearance. She only wore a long baggy shirt that covered her short-shorts and bunny slippers. “S…Sunny?!”

 

Sooyoung now wide-eyed at the scene before her eyes. “Uhm… sorry if I interrupted something…” She was about to turn away when Taeyeon stops her.

 

“No! N..nothing at all! Don’t get the wrong idea, she isn’t usually like this…” Taeyeon then turns to the clueless girl behind her. “Sunny what have I told you about dressing properly… now go change!”

 

“But Taengie…” Sunny whined with her aegyo.

 

“No buts! We have a guest, now go!” She scolded then smiling and turning to Sooyoung at the door. “Come in!”

 

“Ah, I didn’t mean to cause any problems… “ Sooyoung hesitantly enters the messy room.

 

Taeyeon giggles, “Not at all, she can be a little childish sometimes.”

 

“Yah! Look whose talking!” A voice comes booming from the bathroom.

 

“Yah! Just hurry up and change!” Taeyeon sighs then smiles at Sooyoung. “Sorry for the mess, it’s been a little hectic around here trying to organize all these events for the festival.

 

Sooyoung observes the room. “I see… so do you need any help?” she kindly offers.

 

“Would you really? That would help me a lot… unlike SOMEBODY over there that just watches…”

 

“You never ask for my help… and if I offer you just say ‘don’t worry about it…’ or ‘I can handle it myself” Sunny explains emerging from the bathroom holding a toothbrush.

 

“When have I ever said that? I don’t even recall you ever asking…” Sunny walks over to Taeyeon, hushing her lips with her index finger, leaning down to her ear.

 

“We can finish this later, we have a guest remember?” she whispers then winks. Instantly turning around to the girl awkwardly standing near the door. “So… Sooyoung right? I’ve been hearing a lot about you! Just call me Sunny.”

 

She relaxes at Sunny’s bright greeting. “That’s right, it’s nice to meet you. I’m sorry for intruding so suddenly.”

 

Sunny laughs. “Don’t worry about it really! I’ve actually wanted to meet you after what I heard… Jessica is sure harsh isn’t she? But I don’t think anyone has ever pushed her this far before… quite the accomplishment.” She continues to laugh with Sooyoung and Taeyeon joining her. The girls continued to chat and help Taeyeon with hours passing. Before they knew it, the sun was already setting. Jessica, who was lying down, stared at the empty bed across from her.

 

“Where is that babo… oh well, it’s her fault if she’s late for class tomorrow.” She thought to herself looking at the clock. She closed her eyes and tried to sleep, but not to long after she woke up and shook her head. “This is ridiculous, it’s not like something happened to her… just go back to sleep.” She proceeded to try and sleep when again she woke up frustrated. “Okay, that’s it. When I find her, she is so going to get it!” Jessica violently tore off her blanket, putting on her slippers then storms out her room. She continues to wander the halls when she notices Taeyeon’s door opened with the light on. “Figured just as much.” She entered to room and was about to shout, but stops. Lying against the wall surrounded by papers, Sooyoung peacefully rested while the other two leaned against each other sharing a quilt. Jessica sighs then grabs a spare blanket from the closet, placing it on Sooyoung. “…Babo.” She smiled then quietly returned to her room.

 

===Next Morning===

[Sooyoung’s POV]

 

I woke up with an aching pain in my neck. I sleepily yawn and slowly open my eyes to check my surroundings, realizing that I lie sprawled out on the floor in a sea of paper with my neck bent into an awkward position. Groaning and rubbing my neck, I sit up with papers sticking to my face. I peel them off and check the time. It was surprisingly early. Not wanting to wake the others I quietly stand up, noticing a blanket slide off me. I don’t recall getting one last night. It must have been Taeyeon or Sunny. After folding the blanket I place it onto their bed with a little ‘thank-you’ note on it. Returning to my room it doesn’t surprise me to see Jessica soundly sleeping cuddling her blanket with a smug look on her face. She was probably dreaming of Tiffany again. I just sighed and continued with my morning routine. About an hour later it was 6:30. “How should I wake her up today…” I was about to walk up to her when I remembered what she said last time that stopped me instantly. Perhaps I should let her stay in dreamland for a little while longer. With my stomach eager for some food, I head off to the kitchen. I was surprised when I saw a girl that seemed only a few centimeters shorter than me looking through the cereal cupboard. She must also live in the dorm I thought as I joined her.

 

She looked and smiled at me. “Oh, another early bird huh? Well as long as I beat you to the kitchen, I guess it’s okay.” She teased looking back at the cupboard.

 

“Hey, that’s my line!” I sarcastically say while also looking at the cereal. I notice one of my favorite cereals on the top shelf, I easily reach it with my long arms, and however there was another hand attached to it as I pull it down. I look at the girl beside me.

 

She looks back at me with an unsatisfied look on her face. “Thanks for pulling it down for me.” She tugs it towards her.

 

“Actually, I wanted it.” I pull it towards me.

 

She paused for a moment. “This is actually mine…” She tugs it back towards her.

 

I didn’t know who this girl was, but no one, I repeat, NO ONE gets between my food and me. “This is the only cereal that can satisfy my hunger… plus it’s my first day, so I need my energy.” I tug it a little harder towards me.

 

“Yeah… same goes for me…” She also tugs it harder towards her. Before we know it, we are having a tugging war for the box of cereal. “Okay, okay wait! Why don’t we just share?” she suggests. The thought never really came to mind; I guess my hunger erased all other thoughts from my mind.

 

“Okay sure.” I agree. She grabs two bowls from the cupboard and fills one bowl full, while pouring what remained into the other. However, only little crumbs came out. We stared at the full bowl, while throwing small glances at each other. The atmosphere tensed up, as we remained silent. She pulled her first move reaching for the bowl, which caused my instincts to reach for the bowl, and yet again, we found ourselves in another tugging war.

 

“I’m new here, I should get it as a welcoming gift!” I grunted as I tried to win it over.

 

“Since your new, you should respect those who already live here!” She grunted back. This went on for a good 5 minutes before we lost our grip causing the bowl to fly up into the air. Everything from there went in slow motion. Gravity pulled the bowl back down onto the floor causing the cereal to spill out everywhere. We both fell to our knees with our eyes close to tears as we stared at the mess.

 

Taeyeon suddenly runs out of her room to the kitchen. “What happened…here?” She stares at the mess then looks at us sighing. “Yah! Don’t just sit there! Clean up!” she demanded.

 

“But…but… the cereal…” We both pouted simultaneously.

 

“No buts!” She walks over to the cupboard, and pulls over a chair to reach the top shelf where she pulls out another new box. “You kids can have this after you clean up.”

 

“What there was another box??” We look at each other then begin laughing in embarrassment.

 

“I guess I should have checked first…” The girl giggles looking down embarrassed.

 

I was just as embarrassed. “Yeah, me too.”  We cleaned up the mess then happily munched on our cereal from the newly opened box when Sunny and Hyoyeon joined us.

 

“Good morning!”  They greeted as they entered the room. I was too concentrated on satisfying my hunger to greet them back. They only smiled then grabbed something to eat. After we finished eating the girl who I had a feud with earlier walked up to me.

 

“Hey, sorry we got off on the wrong foot earlier, my name is Im Yoona.” She held out her hand.

 

I shake her hand. “No worries, I kind of let my hunger get the best of me…I’m…”

 

“Choi Sooyoung.” She notices my confused expression. “I don’t think there is anyone that hasn’t heard of you yet.” We laughed and chatted with the rest of the group when I notice that someone is missing.

 

I look around, “Where’s Jessica?”

 

“You mean the sleeping princess? She’s most likely still sleeping.” They all laughed.

 

“Well I’ll go try to wake her up, she’s going to be late at this rate.” I look at the clock.

 

“Good luck! Hwaiting!” They all gave me a ‘fighting’ gesture. I thank them and head off to our room. Without any surprise, there lay Jessica with the same expression I left her with.

 

“Okay Jessica, time to return to reality…” I walk up to her bed and begin tugging on her arm to pull her out. She didn’t budge. So I try to pull off all of her blankets, but she just cuddled herself up in them. Out of frustration I shout at her. “JESSICA! YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE IF YOU DON’T GET UP!” No response. I continue to shout, “JESSICA GET UP NOW! RIGHT NOW! N-O-W!” I sit on her bed out of breath when I feel it moving. I look at Jessica and notice she was laughing. At first I thought she was still dreaming but she slowly opened her eyes.

 

With a sleepy voice, “Yah, that’s my line Choi Sooyoung.”  A smile curves on my lips with the satisfaction of not only waking the creature, but making her laugh too.

 

“You better hurry, school starts in 30 minutes!” With this knowledge Jessica shoots out of bed falling off, and scrambling to the bathroom. I walk out of the room and notice awed eyes staring at me. “Uhh… can I help you?”

 

“Wow! That was fast, you beat the record time!” Hyoyeon announces showing me her stopwatch. Everyone claps and cheers and with that, the day began.