Chapter 2

The Little Things [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

===Later that day===

 

I’m peacefully reading my book at my desk, when suddenly I feel shallow breathing down my neck.

 

“Whatcha reading?” The voice suddenly boomed in my ear.

 

I jumped, “Ahh! What are you doing?! You scared me!”  I dropped my book onto the floor and the tall figure bent down to pick it up.

 

“Oh sorry, I couldn’t help it, you just looked so peaceful sitting there…” She giggled at me. “Anyway, you’re supposed to show me around campus, remember? Also, I’m really hungry…” She rubbed her growling stomach.

 

I look at the time, and it’s already 1pm. “Oh right… the cafeteria isn’t open right now, but there is a kitchen in the dorm we could use.”

 

“Sounds great!”

 

So we headed down the stairs towards the kitchen. When we got there Sooyoung immediately headed towards the fridge and cupboards to pull out a bunch of ingredients. “Hey, we aren’t the only one’s in this dorm you know, since it’s just lunch let’s make something simple…”

 

She rolls her eyes at me, “Okay fine then, what do you want to make?”

 

I think about it, “Ah, I know, let’s make tuna sandwiches! I’m really good at making those!” excitedly, I go to grab the ingredients.

 

“Tuna sandwich? Those are really easy to make, you just put tuna on the bread right?”

 

“No, they actually require skill to make, just for your information!” I angrily reply.

 

“Oh right, spreading the tuna on the bread does require a lot of skill!” She teased.

 

“Whatever Choi Sooyoung… and I thought I was bad at first impressions..” I continue to mix the mayo and tuna together in a bowl. After a few minutes, I noticed her eyes staring intensely at me, “Are you just going to stand there watching me, or what?”

 

“What else is there for me to do?” She replied leaning on the table tapping her fingers.

 

Irritated, “I don’t know… go make a vegetable plate or something to eat with the sandwiches.”

 

“Okay!” She stands up “So what vegetables?  Carrots, broccoli, celery…” She continues looking around the kitchen. “Cauliflower and cucumbers…”

 

“NO!” I scream.

 

“Huh? What’s wrong?” She asked confused.

 

“Oh… sorry I didn’t mean to scream, but I absolutely HATE cucumbers! The smell, the taste… ugh, just thinking about them makes me feel sick to my stomach.” Making a ‘gagging’ gesture.

 

“I see…” she replies turning around but I catch her smirk.

 

“Whatever you’re thinking you better just forget about it!” I continue to mix the tuna.

 

“Whatever could you mean? I’m just making a vegetable plate as you asked…” She innocently replies.

 

After about 10 minutes, she turns around with a vegetable plate. “Are you STILL mixing the tuna? It’s already been 30 minutes!”

 

“I’m nearly done, I told you this requires skill, I need to add the right amount of mayo or it may turn out bad.” A few minutes later, I finally finish. “Okay, finally done! Now we just to make the sandwiches.”

 

“Then we finally get to eat!” She smiled brightly. While making the sandwiches, we remained silent only for a short time when I notice her intensely staring at me again.

 

“What do you want?” I look at her without trying to look into large eyes. She didn’t respond.  “Choi Sooyoung!” I snap my fingers at her face. “Why do you keep staring at me?”

 

“Why? Does it make you nervous?” She smirked at me still staring.

 

“No! It’s just weird that you’re staring at me... it’s bothersome.” I looked down concentrating on the sandwiches.

 

After a short pause, “You want to know the truth?” She softened her stare. “The truth is…you are a beautiful person. It’s hard not to stare.”

 

My heart skipped. I didn’t know why, and I looked up at her eyes. “Ss..stop teasing me…” I replied flustered.

 

“What makes you think I’m teasing you? She gently places her fingers on my chin, lifting it up as she moves her face closer to mine.

 

My body was frozen; it was as if her eyes were casting a spell on me, drawing me closer to her.  I had to break free or else something bad might happen. With all my power I pushed her away. “Choi Sooyoung! What on earth are you doing?!” I screamed when she suddenly burst out laughing. “What’s so funny?”

 

Catching her breath, “N..nothing… But you should have seen the look on your face! Priceless! You thought I was really going to kiss you huh?” She smirked that same teasing smirk.

 

“I can’t believe you! We just met, yet you act so casual! It feels like I’m babysitting a child! I… I… just want things back the way they were!” I burst out angrily, when tears start forming and I run to our room.

 

“Ah… I guess I overdone it again.” Sooyoung sighed as she looked down at the sandwiches. “What a waste though…”

 

I returned to my room and buried my face in my pillow. “Tiffany… why did you leave me like this…  I’m a complete mess without you…”

 

“I’m sure that’s not what Tiffany would want to hear.” I feel a figure sit on the bed.

 

“Can you just leave me alone…” I mumble, tightening my grip on my pillow.

 

“Look, I’m sorry.” I could hear the sincerity in her voice. “To be honest… I’m not really good at first impressions, let alone making friends… I never know how to approach somebody. My mom had always told me to just be myself… but, when I do, it always ends up like this. So please… I may not be “Tiffany”, but I truly want to be your friend. Can you forgive me?”

 

I lift myself up and face her. “It’s alright, I understand. I didn’t mean to yell at you earlier… It’s just that everything changed so fast, I was just upset.”

 

“So, can we start over?” She raises her hand towards me, “My name is Choi Sooyoung, it’s nice to meet you.” She smiled.

 

I shake her hand. “My name is Jessica Jung. It’s nice to meet you, I hope we can be good friends.”  I notice two sandwiches on the table.

 

“Oh! I finished making these, here.” She hands me one.

 

“Thank you!” I reply taking a bite of the sandwich, when I notice something isn’t right. The taste… the texture… what could it… “CUCUMBERS!!!“ I scream spitting it out.

 

“Oops… I must have forgot to take those out…hehe” She said innocently as she backed out the door.

 

“CHOI SOOYOUNG! YOU BETTER GET BACK HERE!” I yelled getting off my bed, and running after her.

 

“I think it’s going get very noisy around here…” A girl from the room across the hall sighs.