August

DARAGON: Moment of Truth, The End

DARA’s POV

A voice from the television just announced the time. It’s really late. My mind immediately flew on the man left at home. What is he doing right now? At 10pm nowadays, we would be in bed already.

Uijeong suddenly shrieked after winning this round of the game, getting my attention. I was already wearing my pajamas, but the thought of sleeping here tonight is not settling on me.

I laughed at her victory dance, then say what I wanted to do right now. “I’m going home.”

“Why? I thought sleepover?” She frowned.

Nuhhh, not even that face can convinced me to stay. Another face is flashing in my mind right now. “I know. I’m sure the memories of my last sleepover would give you company tonight.” I tried to lift her mood. “Really need to go home, something came up.” I tried to explain.

When I arrived home, my instinct was right. I found Jiyong on the balcony, smoking.

My last sleepover with Uijeong. It’s already late in the morning when I went back home. Jiyong was still sleeping  so I stayed in the living room. Minutes later, a half sleep Jiyong got out, slumped his body on the couch, then drowned his face on my lap. He was mumbling, complaining on how he can’t sleep, how his body is looking for my scent and warmth. A snore was heard not long after.

His back was facing me, when I sneaked behind him.

“I told you smoking is bad for your health.”

He jumped a little, surprised on my presence.

“Dara.” His eyes were twinkling. He chuckled but it looks like it’s more for himself. He pushed down the stick on the ashtray before engulfing me with his hug.

He didn’t ask why I’m here though I’ve told him I’ll be sleeping over Uijeong’s. “Let’s sleep.” He just said. “I tried but I can’t.”

I know that perfectly. The reason why I’m here.

“Babe, you’re smoking again.” I whined, the smell stucked on his shirt already making its way on my nose.

“I know. I’m sorry. Let’s sleep. Hmmm.”

Without letting go of his hold, he dragged our bodies inside.

After washing up, I was expecting him to be sleeping already, but it’s not the case. He was there, his eyes following my every move. On cue, he immediately s his body on mine when I lied down. He kissed me goodnight. And just like that, he was already on his dreamland.

 

JIYONG’s POV

My eyes are closed, rummaging my head. This has been my routine for the past weeks, trapping myself in this studio after Dara and her staffs go to her schedule. It’s been what, three years. The fans must be doing all sorts of sorcery for our comeback.

“Babe.” Dara whispered as she entered. She got the the pen out of my finger, massaging my hand after. “The schedule was moved.” “How are you?” She asked.

“Tired.” I mumbled.

“Take it easy. Remember what you’ve said before. The world will still continue even without us. You’ve given them so much.”

Those words. Why is she so good at this? Always reminding me. Saying things that I needed. Being there whenever I needed.

I opened my eyes, she was focused on my hands, releasing the tension on my body.

“You, releasing music now or five years from now, wouldn’t change the fact that you’ve affected many people’s lives. Your music has been with them in their own journey, celebrating, comforting, inspiring. You’re the king of Kpop, babe. Bigbang is. It’s a fact already.”

She sang our fanchant excitedly, then wave her imaginary lightstick. “Saranghaeyo Kwon Jiyong.” She ended, giggling. She was now staring at our hands where our couple rings are located. Smiling. Maybe, thinking of all the crazy songs I let her hear.

“What’s your favorite?” I asked.

“Butterfly.” She finally looked back to me. Her eyes twinkling with all the affections in the world. I withdraw my hand from her hold so I could wrap it around her body. “I’m with you babe.” She smiled, giving me a quick peck.

She sat quietly beside me, making herself busy as she started reading. My hand automatically reached for her ear, a beat continuously echoing from the speakers as I write and rewrite lyrics.

“Babe, no one’s coming right?” She asked hours later. I shook my head in response. She stood up, then I felt a blanket being wrapped around me. When I turn around, she was already lying on the couch, eyes closed. My muse.

 

August 4, 2020

DARA’s POV

“Jiyong’s here.” Dami said as she pours some salt on the sauce I was mixing. The voices were getting louder, Jiyong explaining things about the bike.

“The two of you is spoiling my husband.”

“It’s fine unnie. His birthday is coming.”

“You don’t know how much it’s stressing him when you give expensive gifts.” She laughed. “Speaking of gifts, we got a new piece from Alyx”

“Unnie, you just gave me some last month.” I know where this is heading.

“So?”

Who am I to say no? Everytime they have new clothes, I’m sure she already has something reserved for me. “Aigooo. Thank you.” I just sigh, feeling a bit shy.

“Says the person who spoils my whole family.” She snorted. “But Dara, thank you for helping me today.”

“I’m just a call away.”

“Tell me you just want to get away from my clingy brother.”                  

“Obvious?” I joked.

“Yes. Very obvious.” She laughed louder this time as the topic of our conversation has already wrapped his arms around me.

“Noona.” Jiyong tipped his head, greeting her.

“Give Dara a break.”

He held me tighter, closing his eyes as he sniffed my scent. Dami’s words not able to enter his ears. His sister growled at the sight, her pitiful eyes looking at me.

“Ji, go to Minjoon. We’re busy here.” She tried to dismiss him.

“Babe.” I tapped his hands, urging him to follow. He gave me a quick peck in the cheek before turning on his feet.

“I don’t even know how you tolerate him.” She snorted.

I just smile. Her statement, I beg to differ. It’s the other way around.

“What’s your plan?”

“For his birthday?” I asked to confirm. “Well, I’ve talked to my manager to adjust my schedule. We might go to the other house to relax.”

“Skinny dipping?”

“Yah unnie!” Oh God. People’s view of me is really changing. This is all Jiyong’s fault.

“Why?”

Why? Yes, why not. But coming from Jiyong’s sister, it’s still embarrassing. Omo, now my green thoughts are flooding. The things that will happen in that pool, and right after that. .

“Look. You’re imagining it.” Dami teased more.

“Unnie!” “On the 18th, lunch with omma and appa. You’re going, right?” I tried changing the topic.

“I’m sure Minjoon and I can go.” She replied, completely forgetting her teasings.

“Good.”

“After, we’ll just have dinner with some friends. Nothing fancy.” I continued. When I asked him how he wants to celebrate, he simply replied, home.  I’m the one who actually insist that dinner, knowing he’s not seeing his friends nowadays. We can’t even fly to Japan to meet the others.

“Need help?” Jiyong appeared again. I pointed at the sink, plates and kitchenwares waiting to be washed. He removed his watch, putting it on my jean’s pocket. Then started cleaning.

“Unnie, what do you think I should bring? I’m sure omma will cook all the foods.”

I got no response as Jiyong started talking with me.

When Jiyong was done, and out of the area, I received a good slap from Dami.

“Yah”

“Unnie, what’s wrong?”

‘You!”

“Me?”

She laughed by herself, hugging me after. Now what’s with her.

“Just thank you. My superstar brother is in his perfect place right now.” She continued laughing. “Let him wash the dishes later, okay.” She smiled, walking out of the room.

 

 

August 18, 2020

JIYONG’S POV

“Happy?” She asked.

I briefly glanced at her, sipping the tea she made. Her question doesn’t need much thought. “More than.” I replied while watching the stars, amazed at how they all looked twinkling when they’re not.

I can feel her eyes following me, observing, memorizing. I shifted my eyes to her, and with that soft gaze and smile, she perfectly knew what I meant. More than happy. I feel peace.

I put down my cup, reaching for her cheeks across the small table. Her arms were hugging her knees towards her body. Waking up this morning with her, mumbling sweet things even in her sleep. Thinking about it, this tiny woman is holding my life together. If not for her, I’ve probably made a wrong turn and would have been living in regrets. She closed her eyes as I caressed her cheeks. I’m hoping I’m giving her some warmth during this chilly night.

“Go inside.” I told her. I knew she’s near on dozing off. Today was a long day for her, waking up early though she arrived late last night so she could prepare breakfast, helping my mom cook for lunch, then ensuring our reservations for tonight’s dinner is perfect. All that and she still has work tomorrow.

“I’m fine. I’ll stay with you.”

“Babe. Go sleep. I’ll follow.”

She didn’t argue further, tiredness already consuming her body.

I wanted to go inside with her but I didn’t. I feel like I owe the world a minute to thank it about everything.

 

Dara snuggled closer, as I lifted her body towards me. It wasn’t even five minutes since she went in but looking at the clock, I should have let her rest sooner.

“Babe, happy birthday.” She mumbled exactly seconds before the hand strikes twelve midnight. There she is again, never failing to amuse me, ending my first day of being thirty-two sweetly. “I love you.” She continued, trying to reach my lips. But with closed eyes, it landed on my chin instead. I held her face, giving it to her lips. There. Much better.