Vernon (IV)

SEVENTEEN | Drabbles + Oneshots

Vernon

He wasn't going to lie; your sister scared the living crap out of him.

. . .

When you got the call, you tried to negotiate or even postpone the inevitable. But no dice, your family had been curious about the mysterious boyfriend that you had accidentally hinted at in one bi-weekly family dinner.

Your voice softened, "Please, can't you just wait a few days?"

After wheedling and pleading for the better of ten minutes, you managed to change the full family visit to just your sister. Yeah, you could do this.

You tucked your cellphone into your back pocket after sending a text to Vernon telling him you were going to drop by his place in the next fifteen minutes. Now to figure out a way to break the news.

. . .

Your lip was caught between your teeth as you knock rhythmically on his door, still wondering how he'll take the news. You were hoping he'd be rational and mature about it, but you had the sinking feeling that he wasn't going to take it well.

"Hey honey," he greets, a sweet smile paired with dark golden locks as he takes your hand and pulls you into his apartment.

After settling in on his ancient couch, and making small talk for a couple of minutes, Vernon senses that you were holding something back. But he waits patiently for you to tell him what's bothering you.

"So I have some news," you start and began to twirl your thumbs, feeling a little guilty for what you may put him through. "Please don't freak out."

"Please don't tell me you're pregnant." The exaggerated horror on his face did get you to chuckle, once but then you smacked his shoulder.

"That wasn't funny," you try to fight down your smile as you continue your sentence, "mainly because you know more than well how impossible that is."

A bright red exploded onto his cheeks as he realized his blunder, but at least he had succeeded in getting you to calm down. "My bad, my bad."

You decide to just say it, "My family wants to meet you."

The redness of his cheeks drains out of his face completely in an instant as he gapes at you, "Your family what?"

. . .

Vernon slid his fingers through his head of blonde locks in a nervous gesture, he just couldn't sit still. His eyes were darting all around the quaint café while his hands were preoccupied with either his hair, tie, or your fingers.

"Relax," you snatch his hand from reaching for a sugar packet, "Wow, you're real nervous, aren't you? Your hands haven't been this sweaty since the day you asked me out."

An embarrassed flush reddened his cheeks as he tried to tug his hand out of your grasp, "Was that really necessary?"

You leaned over to peck a kiss on his cheek and giggled as you felt the way his hand slacked within your grasp. "Yes. But seriously, you're freaking out about nothing. My sister will love you, she's so nice."

Vernon tried to find comfort in your words, but his sixth sense was telling him that impending danger was about to befall him. But he basked in the beauty of your smile and allowed himself to gradually relax.

Just as he was about to turn around and flick you playfully on the forehead, something caught his eye. While under normal circumstances he would have easily told you the reason since, in retrospect, the female was stunning. Not his type, but that was beside the point, but all her features were striking in a way that was charming, evidently by the increased amount of male attention to his table.

But wait, why was she sending the fiercest death glare to him?

And also, why did she bear an uncanny resemblance to...he turned his head to see you waving enthusiastically to the glaring woman. His heart turned to lead and dropped into his stomach.

. . .

The three of you were sitting in the plush booth seats in an awkward silence after you had all ordered your drinks and were waiting for your food arrive. Your sister had been resolutely staring at Vernon for the past few minutes and if it wasn't for the reality that she had just started seeing someone, you'd be a little worried.

"Nice to meet you," but there was a distinctly dead way she said the words that caused warning bells to sound in his mind. However, he tried his best to give the most angelic smile he could but was met with a dead wall of resistance.

He leaned a little closer to you for support, "Nice to meet you too."

Your sister frowned, lips turning downwards as she scrutinized Vernon with ever more severity if that was possible, "So Vernon. What makes you good enough for my precious precious?"

You made a face at the term and puffed out an annoyed breath, "What do you mean if he's good enough? Are you questioning my judgment?"

She only leveled you with the driest look, "Do you really want me to answer that question? You know the answer to that."

Before you could retort an equally scathing remark, she turned her attention back to Vernon (who had been hoping you would've been distracted for a bit longer). "Back to my original question."

Vernon opened his mouth to say something, anything but only found that his tongue was completely unwilling to comply with any of his commands. But before he made a total fool of himself, the waiter, bless his soul, served the drinks as well as a decadent dessert that was placed in front of your sister.

"Thank you," he mumbled to his saviour who gave him a look that said, 'show it in your tip, buddy'.

As he was distracted, he didn't see your sister's frosty expression melt into one of childish excitement as she dug gleefully into her food. But by the time he turned back to the table, all hints of bliss were once again masked by a cold glare.

However, his brief reprieve was enough to allow him to answer the question that should've been easy to answer in the first place. Vernon took your hand underneath the table and took a strengthening breath.

"I don't think I'm good enough," his voice was unwavering and calm, "But I know that more than anything, I make her as happy as she makes me. There's no one on this planet that I can connect my thoughts and dreams with as intimately as she and I couldn't dream of a future without her."

Your body leaned against his as you buried your face in embarrassment into his shoulder, but your chest was flooded with a warmth that brought a truly joyful smile to your face.

Suddenly, the ice that had been surrounding the booth melted like ice cream on hot concrete as your sister beamed with a smile was genuine and full of relief. "Good, that's good to know."

Just as you were about to speak, the phone in your sister's purse began to buzz and a soft smile that was a total one-eighty from the earlier cool was on her face as she picked up the call.

"Joshua Hong," there was a faint admonishment in her tone, but affection was much more evident, "Is it really necessary to call me right when my errand is supposed to be over?" There was a long pause before a sunny expression appeared, "Oh alright, I'll meet you there in twenty?"

After some hasty goodbyes and a peck on the cheek for you, your sister disappeared in a flurry off to her own date.

. . .

As the two of you were snuggled in each other's embrace, reveling in the warmth and company, an errant thought crossed Vernon's mind. "Wait, your sister's boyfriend is Joshua Hong? It can't be my friend can it?"

A thoughtful frown was on your face as you considered the possibility, "Does he also happen to go by Jisoo?"

"No way," he muttered, "That sneaky cat didn't say he started seeing someone. Wait till all the hyungs hear about this."

. . .

Joshua sneezed delicately, a foreboding feeling settling in his chest that disappeared when his girlfriend squeezed his hand and pecked a kiss on his cheek as they walked home. 

a/n i forgot to post over here...i find it easier to post over on wattpad so yea, i'll put up all the one-shots ive finished~