☆*: DK (III)

SEVENTEEN | Drabbles + Oneshots

| ~ fluffy ~ |

 

Seokmin wondered why you were here.

 

. . .

 

It was after school, every single day. The cafeteria would be open to all students who wanted to hang out with their friends. There would be two TVs out each with a video game for people to enjoy while some staff would attempt to run some activities. (But most kids just did their own thing).

 

The sessions had just begun and Seokmin had dragged some of his fellow friends along with him, Hoshi had an excited bounce whereas Mingyu was decidedly unexcited and fiddling with his phone. The three of them sat themselves down in front of the PlayStation and began to search for a game to play when a girl walked into the cafeteria.

 

Seokmin in a breath. It was her.

 

He didn’t really know you all that well, but you had been in his English class in ninth grade and he had found himself crushing on the girl who could convey more through her words and voice than others could using pictures, videos, and actions. You had a certain way of speaking, and while you weren’t a person of many words, when you spoke, people stopped to listen.

 

He knew he was the opposite, but as a chatterbox, he found himself so fascinated with your gift and you.

 

“DK.”

 

“Seokmin.”

 

Seeing that Seokmin wasn’t going to respond, Hoshi turned his head to see what exactly caused the usually noisy boy to shut up for once. And when he realized what it was, he ‘discreetly’ elbowed Mingyu.

 

The taller boy grunted, annoyed that his streak was broken, “What?”

 

“Our little beagle has his eyes on someone.” Hoshi had a catty expression in his eyes, completely sly, which did not bode well for Seokmin at all.

 

But Mingyu was now intrigued and sat up a little straighter, he couldn’t help but to be curious. “Who?”

 

“Her.” Hoshi tilted his head in your direction. You happened to be getting some items out of your bag, a wad of paper and several pencils.

 

“He likes her?” Mingyu’s voice took on a disbelieving tone, “That’s his type?”

 

“What do you mean?” Hoshi questioned, finding Mingyu’s reaction strange.

 

“She’s, you know, the quiet girl, doesn’t like to joke around or anything,” Mingyu shrugged, “You’d think that Seokmin wouldn’t be into those types but, I guess you never know.”

 

“Oh really?” Hoshi waggled his eyebrows, “So you could say that our baby Dokyeummie needs some awesome wingmen to help him out.”

 

“Stop it.”

 

Hoshi sidled up closer to the annoyed male, “You know you want to.”

 

“Want to what? Mess around with Seokmin’s pathetic love life? I have better things to do.”

 

The shorter boy smiled expectantly, “Do you now? Just imagine everything we could do.”

 

Suddenly a glint appeared in Mingyu’s eyes as he put his phone into his back pocket, “Well, now that I think about it, I can’t think of a better thing to spend my time doing.”

 

“You just want to get back at him for that time he refused to send you materials in Farmville™, don’t you?”

 

“Oh, shut up.”

 

. . .

 

The next day Seokmin eagerly dragged his friends once again to the cafeteria, this time however, Mingyu was strangely gung-ho about the excursion. But the lovesick puppy couldn’t think of anything except you; he wondered if you were going to be there again.

 

This time the trio gathered around the foosball table, which happened to be located conveniently closer to the table you had sat at yesterday. When Seokmin made the request, the other two agreed with mischievous grins on their faces.

 

You walked in only moments after, a lined notebook clutched in one of your hands while you swiftly made your way to the same table that worked at the day prior. When you saw that there were some people close by, you debated of you wanted to move, but you decided you could just listen to music.

 

While Hoshi and Mingyu were trying to rip each other’s throats out while they played foosball, Seokmin watched you bounce happily in your seat as you wrote, with a silly smile on his face. The little movements you made randomly while you listened to music were adorable, you were so genuine with your enjoyment.

 

“…No you do it.” Hoshi hissed under his breath as he shoved Mingyu who had a stubborn frown on his face.

 

He shoved back just as hard, if not harder, “No, you do it.”

 

“I don’t even know her!” Hoshi argued, “At least you have a class with her.”

 

“Argh.” Mingyu knew he lost and could only prepare for what he was going to do.

 

You were in the midst of scrawling another sentence when a hand tapped you lightly on your shoulder, you looked up to see a classmate you had never spoken to. “Mingyu, right?”

 

“Yeah,” the boy awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, “Do you mind if I take a seat here?”

 

You nodded slowly, still confused over why he would want to talk to you.

 

“So um, how’re you doing?” Mingyu felt so exposed under your neutral gaze, you unnerved him.

 

You tilted your head slightly to the side, as if seriously considering the question, “I’d be doing better if our Functions teacher stopped giving us ‘pop’ quizzes all the time.”

 

Mingyu chuckled dryly, “I second that whole-heartedly. I mean is there really any need to assess our understanding for every lesson?”

 

You grinned wryly, “It keeps us on our toes at least.”

 

Seokmin felt his stomach sinking. Why did Mingyu have to talk to her? Now she’s going to fall in love with his crooked smile, amazing hair, and deep voice.

 

“Do you think she likes him?” Hoshi wanted to cackle when he spotted the look of total depression that the younger boy was wearing. Mingyu was doing a good job making it look as if the two of you were flirting.

 

“Why would she like him?” Seokmin muttered bitterly, “It’s not as if he’s a total prince charming.”

 

“What’s with the attitude?” Hoshi was warming up, “Do you like her?”

 

Seokmin sighed a lovesick sigh, “Maybe.”

 

“Do you want help?”

 

The naïve boy perked up, “Help with what?”

 

“What else? Help you get the girl obviously.” Hoshi had a devious smirk on his lips as he began to concoct all types of plans.

. . .

 

Mingyu found himself quite riveted in the conversation he was sharing with you, although you still were reluctant to speak, he found himself wanting to fill in the space. You made interesting points whenever you did speak, and he couldn’t help adding more into the mix.

 

He began to see why Seokmin would be so smitten with you. You were a good listener, but still had the uncanny ability to make amazing conversation.

 

You picked a good girl, if you hadn’t had your eye on her, I might’ve been tempted to take her for myself.

 

Mingyu laughed at something particularly witty you had said and commended Seokmin on his taste. He wondered how he was able to see so quickly what an amazing person you were.

 

. . .

 

Seokmin took a deep breath while he wrung his hands, nervousness filled him to the brim. When he saw Mingyu chatting with you, it brought out the realization that if he didn’t talk to you, someone else eventually would.

 

And you would fall in love with them as he watched broken-hearted about the margins.

 

That cannot happen, he wouldn’t allow it to.

 

As he approached you, his eyes drifted to the words written on your notebook in your signature handwriting. A pretty scrawl, if that term existed.

 

You felt someone peering over your shoulder, and expecting Mingyu, who had been talking to you much more often after that spontaneous day after school, you were startled to see someone else.

 

He seemed incredibly familiar to you, and your heart involuntarily skipped a beat when you took in the unconventional but nonetheless charming sparkle in his eyes. But the pretty sparkle was obscured by the worry and anxiety that was clouding his expression.

 

“Hello,” you smiled at the boy sweetly, “Was there something you wanted to talk to me about?”

 

Seeing your smile, Seokmin’s nervousness was forgotten as he gave you a wide grin back, “I’m not so sure what I wanted to say. I didn’t expect to get this far.”

 

“Well,” you hummed pleasantly, “Let’s talk about anything underneath the sky.” You felt innately comfortable with this boy. “But I’d like to know your name first.”

 

He placed his hand on his chest in a mock-wounded fashion, “I am deeply hurt, it seems that I clearly have little stature within your heart. I must say you left an impression on me that I would never forget.”

 

You rolled your eyes at his words, but a few chuckles escaped your lips. “A charmer aren’t you?”

 

“Only for you.” Seokmin wasn’t sure where he was getting the confidence from, but the slight hint of redness on your cheeks may have encouraged it. “But you really don’t remember me?”

 

You rested your chin on a balled-up hand as you thought, eyebrows furrowed in concentration. “Wait, you were in one of my classes before! But you were always away…Seokmin?”

 

A feeling of total elation spread through his body, “Ding ding ding, we have a winner.”

 

You clapped your hands together, smiling at his dorkiness, “Well, it’s nice to be reacquainted, but I have some stuff to get done.” You warned yourself, who happened to feel quite strongly about this boy that sat next to you, that it wasn’t the time or place.

 

There was a little frown on his face as he replied, “Oh, alright.” He moved to stand, “Bye, I guess.”

 

Your heart ached slightly seeing his dejected face, “You’re more than welcome to talk to me tomorrow though. I’d like that.”

 

Seokmin let out a happy whoop before he clapped his hands over his mouth, you burst into laughter at the sight of his comically appalled and embarrassed expression.

 

“Tomorrow.”

 

. . .

 

Hoshi fiddled with his list of plans before he circled the fourth one on the paper.

 

“Hm, this should work.”

 

a/n there is more. it just got too long. next time: hoshi and mingyu try and fail at being wingmen