Joshua (IV)

SEVENTEEN | Drabbles + Oneshots

in which you work as a lifeguard and someone likes to bother you.

 

. . .

 

as you clipped your whistle onto your swimsuit, you prayed that he wouldn’t show up again.

 

you worked for your local township as a lifeguard and swimming safety instructor, a fact that you had kept from people at your school as best as possible. it was just something you didn’t want people to know since you knew that some curious kids were going to come simply to make your life harder.

 

the said group of guys weren’t exactly bullies or anything like that, they just liked to fool around at the pool and tease you since you happened to be on duty whenever they visited. which was strange, considering that none of these kids were competitive swimmers or anything, they just wanted to hang out, you supposed.

 

but on more than one occasion, the twenty-pound brick flew through the air with alarming velocity, almost hitting an innocent but elderly lady who was minding her own business. you had very angrily escorted them out. and they didn’t seem to understand what keep out means. they always slipped into the equipment room to bring out either piles of rings or, like today, wheeled out the container filled with at least eighty flippers. one particular lee jaehwan seemed to get ‘hurt’ constantly.

 

yeah, you had to stop them right this instant.

 

“jaehwan, stop it. right now.” you pinned the chuckling boy with the most intimidating glare you could summon. apparently, it was not even close to being enough because he just winked at you and kept pushing the large container. you wondered why hakyeon wasn’t here today, usually the handsome male could talk some sense into these idiots.

 

jaehwan stopped and you were almost naive enough the think that maybe he’ll listen to you. “i’ll stop if you go on a date with me.”

 

you snorted. “how about no.”

 

it wasn’t the first time he asked. he constantly badgered you for a date and at first you were polite and told him that you weren’t interested and that there were more than enough girls in the school that would die to be his girlfriend. but no.

 

the boy didn’t know how to take a hint and back off. it felt like he was even more determined to make you agree when you simply didn’t want to. and truth be told, if it wasn’t for the fact you already had your eye on someone else, you would’ve seriously considered his offer.

 

it was just too bad that joshua hong had stolen your heart.

 

. . .

 

joshua had the patience of a saint. ask anyone, he was the person to go to when there was a crying toddler or a defiant teen that needed coaxing. somehow, he carried an air so kind that it was almost demanding, children wanted to listen to him. it was like magic.

 

but this particular magic was wearing thin for the male when he saw jaehwan approach you again.

 

when you had first joined the town, he was instantly smitten. just everything about you seemed so perfect, even your quirky habits and awkward laughter was infinitely appealing. but it was hard for him to act on it; while the two of you did spend time together as friends outside of work, there never seemed like a right time to confess.

 

or maybe he was scared.

 

but seeing jaehwan, a tall, fit male consistently pursue you put quite a bit of pressure on him. besides, he saw the way jaehwan looked at you.

 

he knew exactly why you were supposed to wear swimsuits on deck, it was common sense, but truth be told, he always forgot reason when it comes to you. the way the fabric outlined your body for all to see made him want to shove his hoodie over you.

 

but when jaehwan slipped an arm around your waist. joshua lost all semblance of his saintly patience.

 

. . .

 

“jaehwan!” you pushed at his strong arm, “get off, what do you think you’re doing?”

 

he grinned cheekily, “making sure that you don’t leave since you said you would go out with me if i put this away.”

 

“what?” you asked, voice rising in pitch. when did you say that?

 

suddenly, an arm circled your shoulders before pulling you away from the arm on your waist. “she’s not going anywhere with you.”

 

jesus.

 

when did joshua appear?

 

jaehwan frowned, “who are you.” he sized up the smaller male who had a face that screamed sweetness but was now emanating a very cold anger.

 

“none of your business.”

 

the taller male scoffed, “right, mr. none of your business, if it has to do with her, it’s my business.” he nodded his head in your direction.

 

“my girlfriend is none of your business.” joshua couldn’t help it. it just came out, but he couldn’t help but to wish what he had just said was true.

 

“how come she never told me?” jaehwan looked skeptically at joshua. “i don’t think i believe you.”

 

“he is.” your face was so red.

 

jaehwan frowned, “sure.” but he didn’t pursue it further.

 

when he was out of earshot, you muttered, “so your girlfriend, eh?”

 

joshua could only splutter incoherently.

 

you smiled at his adorableness, “i wouldn’t mind.” you didn’t give him a chance to respond before quickly returning to guarding before the supervisor could call you out on it.

 

the poor boy never felt so happy and lost at the same time.

 

. . .

 

the next day was public swim and you were responsible for the waterslide. it was definitely one of the driest jobs, you wondered what the point of your presence was. as you stood there idly, you could hear the familiar voice approaching. please no.

 

your prayers weren’t answered because there he was, jaehwan.

 

“hey,” he smiled almost sneakily. “where’s your ‘boyfriend’?”

 

you ignored him. you couldn’t very well tell him that joshua had left before you last night, leaving you very confused and slightly hurt.

 

seeing your silence as confirmation that you weren’t actually in a relationship, he got touchy-feely. “c’mon babe, wanna ride the slide with me?” he tugged at your wrist while you frowned, annoyed.

 

“ew.” you tried to pull your arm back, but the brute’s muscles weren’t just for show. “stop holding up the line.”

 

he only held you tighter and began to forcefully bring you closer to him, “it’ll be fun, i’ll keep you safe.” he winked at you.

 

“stop.” you looked around to see if any of your co-workers would notice your plight and send help. your eyes met joshua’s who had just walked out of the guard office from break. he took one glance at the situation and sprinted to where you were. “jaehwan, let go of her.”

 

“why should i?” he asked, rolling his eyes.

 

“based simply on the fact that she doesn’t want to and that you’re behaving like a barbarian. she deserves more respect than that.” joshua’s soft smile caused your stomach to flip-flop. “besides, if you don’t, we’ll have to kick you out.”

 

jaehwan let go of you. “fine fine. jeez.” he disappeared down the slide.

 

“you okay?” joshua asked, eyebrows furrowed in worry as he took your slightly reddened wrist in his hands.

 

you shrugged, “it’s fine, i’ve dropped bricks on my shins before. this is whatever. thanks for coming to my rescue again.”

 

the gentleman flushed a bright red, “it’s nothing. i bet you probably could’ve handled him even if i didn’t come.”

 

you smirked, “true, but i didn’t want to resort to violence.”

 

joshua laughed at the ‘mock’-evil expression on your face.

 

. . .

 

the two of you were walking out of the community centre together, just chatting and catching up on each other’s lives when joshua suddenly stopped.

 

“you wouldn’t hit me if i kissed you right?”

 

“uh, i don’t–” you didn’t even get to finish when he cut you off.

 

“okay, good.”

 

he dropped his bag onto the ground before yours followed suit without you knowing because joshua hong was kissing you. his lips were pressed softly against yours, the light sensation wreaking havoc in your heart. when he began kissing you in earnest, you responded immediately by sliding your hands into his still damp hair and bringing him closer to you. this prompted him to pull you tightly against him before slanting his lips across yours, kissing you more deeply.

 

“oh.” you couldn’t formulate any thought when he pulled away.

 

“can we do that again?”

 

you raised your eyebrows. “watch it mister.”

 

he held up his hands in surrender. “okay, okay.”

 

you linked arms with him after picking up your bags, “so do you usually kiss girls without asking them to be your girlfriend first?”

 

“well, you see,” he rubbed the back of his neck nervously before pointing discreetly to the side, “he may or may not have been watching.”

 

you looked to see jaehwan’s familiar but slouched back disappear from view.

 

“but that’s not the only reason,” he turned to face you, halting your movements. “when i claimed to be your boyfriend, you had no idea how much i wished it was true.”

 

you brightened significantly.

 

“but i still have ask, would you like to be my girlfriend?” his smile was somehow only enhanced by the terrible fluorescent lighting, looking impossibly handsome.

 

“i dunno, give me another kiss and i’ll consider it,” was your cheeky response.

 

he was more than happy to oblige.

 

a/n ok i love ken. just needed a scapegoat lol. bye. still dying. 

also betcha thought joshua was the perp @ the beginning lol