Hoshi (V)

SEVENTEEN | Drabbles + Oneshots

Prince!Hoshi X Maid!Reader 

A prince and his maid, or a maid and her prince?

. . .

You smoothed your hands over the white and starchy fabric of your apron as you appraised your appearance in the mirror. It wouldn't do for the housekeeper to have a single wrinkle in her clothing.

You were much too young to be a traditional housekeeper, of course, the real housekeeper consistently had a pinched look on her face whenever others referred to you as such. But it didn't matter, you were the housekeeper for Crown Prince Kwon Soonyoung. And it was highly unlikely that you would lose your position anytime soon.

. . .

The Prince was a character, to put it lightly. In front of the esteemed guests and high-ranking officials, his charms were endless and endearing. He somehow managed to discuss in-depth results of the tragedy that occurred in the Eastern Dukedom while maintaining an open and light atmosphere.

His dark eyes were bright and glittered charmingly beneath the extravagant crystal chandeliers, but that wasn't the only thing that drew everyone's eyes to the youthful prince. Only in his twenties, he didn't bother to conceal his vigor and energy that was only enhanced by the clothing he wore.

The dark blue heightened the vibrancy of his golden hair and clung to his figure, just enough to give a hint of what lay underneath. Not extremely muscular at all, but anyone would be able to tell that Soonyoung was lithe muscle and coiled energy.

Paired with the gaudy crown that he somehow made work, the Crown Prince was breathtaking.

. . .

But that was the surface.

Not even the surface, it was nothing but a farce. He charmed his way through all sorts of people, even the most cautious would soften before allowing Soonyoung access to their thoughts and opinions.

The servants didn't dare to say a word about his terrible temper, unreasonable demands, and inconsistent expectations. One day he would demand that a new arrangement of poinsettia be placed on his dining room table, and the next he would be scolding the maid that put it there.

You could say that being a member of the household of Prince Soonyoung was one of the worst posts. Considering how he went through servants like toilet paper, it was a miracle if you were able to go insane before he fired you.

"Housekeeper!" A teary-eyed girl had ambushed you the moment you stepped out of the kitchen after preparing breakfast. "Could you please tell the prince that he cannot sleep in any longer? I'm afraid that if I so much as touch the door, he'll kill me."

You sighed tiredly, here we go again.

As you made your way to the Prince's room, you felt a wave of annoyance wash over you. It was inevitable, you were the only safe haven the workers had when it came to navigating in the Prince's household. Because they knew, the only person that the Prince would never lose his temper with, was you.

. . .

You didn't even bother knocking before barging in, you pulled the heavy curtains that should have been washed three days ago. You made a mental note to send a strongly worded note to the cleaning maids; they come to you crying about the Prince being on their case but don't care to prevent it from happening.

A muffled moan came from the bed as a bright streak of sunlight landed on his half-asleep face, "Auugh."

After fastening the curtains to the sides of the gilded windows, you stand at his bedside with your arms crossed as you wait for him to get up. As you waited, you appraised the room with a critical eye before releasing a sigh of relief that everything was as it should be.

"Can't you let me sleep in a bit longer?" His voice was husky with sleep and you ignored the way your heart squeezed just from this. Sometimes it was really inconvenient. He sat up before he brushed a hand through the tousle of golden strands, the pristine white sheets slipping off of his body.

At least you weren't so bothered by his , you laughed dryly internally. But you couldn't help but let your gaze linger a little longer on his surprisingly toned physique. It was at these times you wished that he wore the silk pajamas that princes were supposed to wear. Then again, you weren't exactly complaining.

You stepped into the closet to pull together an outfit fit for a prince before returning to the grand bedroom to see that he still hadn't moved from his bed. "Your Highness. Could you please get dressed? I'm sure there is an advisor that is waiting diligently, albeit impatiently in your office by now."

A cat-like smile that was only enhanced the dangerous slant of his eyes slid onto his face as he watched you busy yourself in his room, trying to hide the nervousness that flooded your system every time it was confronted with a very , very handsome, Kwon Soonyoung.

"Your Highness?" He asked cheekily, "Who's that?"

You shoved the small stack of clothing into his hands while trying to look as serious as possible, "Prince Kwon."

"Who might you be referring to? I know I do not answer to that." His grin emanated a playfulness that was all too familiar.

You sighed, "Soonyoung, must you do this every morning?"

He tilted his head unhappily, "Hm?"

"Hoshi," you called, quietly and softly. But the way you said it, full of sweetness and affection, made it louder and clearer than all the other names you had spoken prior. Even if you wanted to hide your feelings, it was impossible when you called him by the childhood nickname that you had given him so many years ago.

. . .

Your dress was splattered with mud and other types of grime as you ran as fast as your short little legs could go. It was getting dark, but you refused to go back home; home was alone and cold whereas the forest kept you company with its rustling leaves and cooing birds.

A sudden sob broke the relative silence as you slowed down your run to a brisk walk, looking for the source of the sound. Another cry echoed loudly in the now silent forest as you moved towards where you heard the sound.

There was a boy, a crying a boy whose dark hair gleamed in the dusk. The ebony strands caught the light in a way that you were sure it was a little fallen angel you had stumbled upon.

"Are you okay?" You ask when you approach him, "Are you lost?"

The teary-eyed boy nodded pathetically, but his helplessness was apparent when you asked him where he was going. "I don't know, I don't want to go back."

You tilt your head in question but nod, "I know how you feel, I don't want to go back either."

When you offer a hand to the still sitting boy, he takes it without question, "Who are you?"

You pat your chest proudly before declaring your identity, "I'm the daughter of the butler of King Kwon. Who are you?"

The boy's eyes sparkled with an unknown secret as he watched you smile cutely at him. "Who do you think I am?" For some inexplicable reason, he felt so at ease with you.

"Are you a lost fairy?" You blurt without thinking, and the subsequent blush that lights up your cheeks isn't lost to the now smiling boy.

He can't help but to want to tease you a bit, "Well, if I'm a fairy, I can't tell you my name."

You nod seriously while pulling him back onto the main path in the lush forest, "I know, if I use your name, you will have to follow my orders. Fairies' rules, right? What should I call you then?"

He shrugged offhandedly, temporarily distracted from the high expectation and cold cruelty his parents gave him instead of love. "I don't know, why don't you give me a name?"

As you ponder seriously a sudden flash of inspiration hits you when you spot the glittering stars that were beginning to appear in the night sky, "Hoshi! I'll call you Hoshi."

A warmth flooded his chest as you turned to him with a grin, "Hoshi; star. A fairy with such a bright smile should have a name that matches. Smile more, promise?"

Soonyoung, or rather, Hoshi nods obediently. "Promise."

. . .

To Soonyoung, the title of Prince was a burden that he bore heavily on his shoulders. It meant painting on a persona that hid his true thoughts and feelings while he tried to see past the masks of others. Navigating the treacherous waters of nobility, power, and control, he couldn't afford to let anyone in.

Except you.

His only confidante, the one he could trust with his innermost thoughts and struggles and the only one who he turned to advice or support when he felt the pressure beginning to build to an unbearable point.

The one he loves.

. . .

It was a sunny afternoon, the warm rays of the sun enhanced the lethargy that you felt as you strode about the sitting room inspecting the various furniture for dust. Thinking that you were alone, you jolt with surprise when you feel a pair of arms wrap themselves tightly around your waist.

But the instinctual feeling of security and familiarity stopped the scream that you had swallowed as you turned to face a melancholic prince.

"Marry me."

Your breath stopped while your heart began to race, strumming out a tune that was unmistakable. But you ignore it like you've been doing for the past decade or so, "Don't joke like that."

He pulled you into an embrace that was much too intimate to be mistaken for a cordial one, and he could feel his soul coming to a rest when he had you so close to his heart. "Would you believe me if I say I wasn't?"

All of a sudden you felt the great urge to cry, to bawl uncontrollably like a small child all while clinging as tightly as you could to Hoshi. "If I believe you, I'm afraid my heart would shatter into pieces and I wouldn't know how to fix it. So no, I can't believe you."

"I wish things were different," his voice rumbled lowly, as his arms wound even tighter around you, "I don't want to let you go."

You hold back the tears that were threatening to spill before leaning back and looking him in the eye. "You don't have to, I'll be there when you marry, when you're crowned King, when your plans are foiled, when you've conquered your enemies. I'll be there to take care of you, and will never betray you."

Although your words brought comfort, it wasn't enough for Hoshi. What you gave him wasn't enough and he wanted to give more of him to you. But it just couldn't happen. You were his, but he had always belonged to the Crown and to his duty.

And as much as it hurt, you were content to watch along the sidelines as his staunch supporter.

But for now, you could allow yourself to feel the true depths of your emotions as you nestled closer into his embrace.

. . . 

a/n hello, i have returned from exams! here's a one-shot as an apology lol. kinda angsty but i shall return to the regularily scheduled fluff soon~