☆*: Mingyu (III)

SEVENTEEN | Drabbles + Oneshots

| ~ fluffy ~ |

 

Was it easy to say I love you?

 

. . .

 

When you had first started dating Mingyu, you weren’t sure what to expect.

 

On one hand, he was literally the perfect guy. Sweet, smart, could cook, and real easy on the eyes. But on the other, he was this sometimes cringe-y, a little extra, and had some pretty gross habits. Conclusion: he was weird.

 

Then again, who wasn’t? You never enjoyed his flaws, but you came to appreciate them and eventually realized that if he had lost these, you’d miss them. It was a part of who he was and you liked it. Even if you had to make sure that when he cooked, he washed his hands. Thoroughly.

 

There was just one thing that bothered you.

 

Why was it so easy for him to say I love you?

 

. . .

 

The first time he dropped the L-Bomb on you was only a few weeks after the two of you had started seeing each other. You had only been exclusive for around a week when it happened. There was no build-up at all.

 

You were out at the supermarket, looking for some snacks to buy as you pulled the little cart behind you. As you browsed the shelves, trying to decide if you wanted savory or sweet, Mingyu called you.

 

Leaving your cart to side to make your way to where he was, a couple of meters away, you asked, “Yeah?”

 

“I really want some Twinkies™.” His eyes were sparkling as he looked at the bright blue box which seemed comically tiny in his grasp.

 

“You’re such a kid.” You chuckled with amusement as you watched his face fall, “But do whatever you want.”

 

“Really? Thanks!”

 

“Yeah, but you’re paying for it yourself.” Your words stopped the handsome smile you usually liked to see. But just this time, you wanted to a bit; he wasn’t going to get those Twinkies unless you got something out of it.

 

“But baby,” he tried to play up the charm, his dark eyes flashing with meaning. “You know I forgot my wallet.”

 

You scoffed. “Right. You oh-so-conveniently forgot your wallet that happens to be completely void of money. Why is that again, remind me?”

 

A red blush that could be seen on his darker complexion made you want to giggle; you watched as he struggled to say anything in response. “Oh, alright. You win; I’m a generous drunk, I know.”

 

“Okay,” you hummed happily as you snatched the box from his hands and tucked it between your arm and your torso. “You can have your Twinkies.”

 

Mingyu’s face was comically jubilant as he gave you an excited peck on the cheek.

 

“I love you.”

 

Your heart stopped. You couldn’t breathe. Did he just say what you thought he said? At first you tried to convince yourself that he couldn’t have, it was the very first time he was saying something like this to you. But you remembered that you didn’t have a hearing problem.

 

You were so dazed that you didn’t notice the little frown of disappointment on Mingyu’s face when he realized that you weren’t going to say it back. You weren’t sure what to feel, disappointed or like you’ve won the lottery. Because that was what you thought it was, but winning his love was way better than any lottery.

 

But you couldn’t help your feelings of anxiety, suddenly your self-worth was much lower than what it usually might’ve been. In the subsequent moments your mind was a frazzled mess. How could he love you? And even if he did, was it that flippant? Casual?

 

Easy?

 

. . .

 

The second time may or may not have been worse.

 

You were just at home, fiddling with your phone when it rang with Mingyu’s face lighting up the display on your screen.

 

“Yo,” he greeted; his voice always seemed lower than it actually was over the phone. “What’s up?”

 

You hummed under your breath, a little sound that was familiar and comforting to him. “Nothing really, just being idle. Probably going to call it an early night, I’m feeling tired.” You glanced out the window to see that the sun had set already; it was technically still a little early in the evening, but you yawned anyway.

 

Mingyu chuckled, the rumbling sound that lulled you even more closer to sleep. “Then take a break, go to bed, rest up.”

 

You nodded drowsily into the phone, mumbling, “Yeah, I will.”

 

“Okay then,” his voice softened, “Good night, I love you.”

 

You weren’t sleepy anymore, cold fear and complete dread filled your body as you registered what he said. It was the second time, and it was over the phone. You didn’t know what to do, you weren’t ready to say it back at all, and you knew he would be able to tell if you had forced the words out. You sat there in wooden silence until the call ended.

 

Mingyu wasn’t sure if you just fell asleep but he hoped it was. The other option hurt his heart too much.

 

. . .

 

Third time’s the charm.

 

The sun was just setting when the two of you walked home from a fun date. Mingyu was just walking you home, even though you had repeatedly insisted he didn’t need to. But he just replied that he would be spending more time with you, something he didn’t want to give up.

 

Your hand was slotted into his as your arms swung together in rhythm with your steps. The autumn air was only getting chillier as you huddled closer to your boyfriend as a gust of wind blew past. When you had reached your home, Mingyu stopped you from immediately unlocking your door.

 

He brought you close before brushing your hair away from your face, “I love you.”

 

You were trapped. You couldn’t look away. You couldn’t back away. You couldn’t do anything.

 

His eyes didn’t move from yours as he said the words and you could feel your heartrate pick up in anxiety. He was waiting.

 

When he saw your reluctance to speak he let out a small sad sigh before pressing a sweet kiss onto your forehead, “It’s okay.”

 

Your throat suddenly could work again. “How do you know?”

 

Mingyu’s dark eyes flashed, “How do I know what?”

 

Your cheeks were dark with colour. “How do you know you love me? How could you love me? We’ve barely been together, how can you just say it?” You were earnest in your questions, there was nothing at all that intended to hurt beneath your words.

 

“Because I do, I love you. I realized it long before we really started dating, I love everything about you. The smooth and rough edges, everything that gives you character, I love it all because I’m very much in love with you.” His hands were on your cheeks, thumbs gently and soothingly smoothing over your skin.

 

Your voice was small, “How can you be so sure?”

 

“I’m sure because I know I’ll find you just as interesting decades from now as I do now. I want to see you adapt and grow, and I want to see you by my side ten years later, fifty years later, for all of eternity if I could.”

 

Those words resonated with you. Somehow your feelings were being described perfectly by Mingyu, and you knew you loved him for a long time now.

 

“But now I want to know.” His voice dropped, a sadness ading his tone. “Do you love me?”

 

A brilliant smile that sent Mingyu’s heart into overdrive fell onto your lips as the words that he had been longing to hear finally were said. “I love you.”

 

Overcome with joy, he scooped you up into his arms and littered your face with little kisses before giving you a very thorough one on your lips.

 

a/n hei. here's some mingyu. i myself want some mingyu. bai