A Day To Remember - my POV

Short Stories - Starring: You

 

“Yeah, it's okay, no problem, you can't do anything about it.” you said, trying to keep the sadness away from your voice. Of course you wouldn't be happy; you had just learned your best friend ever couldn't be there for your birthday either. But she didn't need to beat herself up over it. There really could nothing she could do.

Actually, there was nothing anyone could ever do.  They were all busy with their jobs, they had not wanted this themselves after all. Your parents had to leave the town for an important meeting, your brother just happened to have a night shift on that day. Your friend best friend needed to leave the town for something as well – was it an exam? – and your other best friend was on a vacation with her family. The rest of your friends just weren't that precious. Your boyfriend was also also extremely busy. They just didn't have time for you.

“I'll see you later, . Bye.” you said as cheerfully as you could when you hung up – ; that was how you called each other endearingly. You hoped she didn't beat herself up too much over it. She was caring, and you wanted her to be there for your birthday but, oh well, you really couldn't change it. But it didn't mean you didn't have any right to pout or be sad.

You sat on your bed and cuddled your pillow, huffing in frustration.

“Isn't it unfair, Mr. Pillow?” you asked your pillow in an annoyed voice, “I don't turn 18 every day!! And no one's here to celebrate for me! Shall I open a bottle of drink for myself instead, hm?”

You sighed, looking at your unresponsive pillow. You were talking to your pillow from loneliness. How desperate was that... 

You put your pillow back on your bed and started killing time on the internet again. Though it wasn’t working so well, it was better than nothing. You turned up the volume of the music – it was only you in the house after all – and sang along to it as much as your voice allowed. Until you were bored of that as well.

You huffed when you could find nothing else to do. The sky was getting darker and darker, leaving your mood even worse. You laid on the bed, looking at the ceiling for a while. Then went to your bathroom and painted your face in weird ways, ended up cleaning your face from all the traces of it after you were done. Then you started trying outfits. Everything was just so boring; from your toes to the end of your hair you were so bored and frustrated with everything and the jean shorts dungarees you had last tried on did definitely nothing to help with it. You wanted to yell and throw things around – and since there was no one home... what was stopping you?

You grabbed Mr. Pillow and threw it to the wall, yelling. You liked the feeling it gave so you did it again. It really was good with relieving your frustration, actually, so you did it over and over again, until you were left panting in front of your bed.

“Umm... are you calmer now?”

You turned around instantly when you heard the voice, hoping it wasn’t who you thought it was, though there was no way you could mistake the voice. Of course it was him; standing at the door of your room with another pillow held defensively in front of him.

“A-ah... I thought you weren’t gonna make it today...” you said blushing. It just had to be Donghae and now of all times; when you didn’t want him to see you the most. You cursed yourself for not noticing him earlier – cuz you had no idea what kind of curses or incomprehensible gibberish you spouted as you were yelling your mind off.

“I thought so too; but my colleague finally agreed to change shifts with me.” He flashed you his signature smile: wide, warm and cute. Never failing to make your heart melt all the time. Though it was a little shadowed by your embarrassment – and the fact that he was still holding the pillow defensively in front of him.

“I’m really glad you could come.” You said, smiling at him and looking as innocent as possible.

“And I was thinking I came at a wrong time.” He chuckled, making you blush a brighter shade of pink – or red by this time, probably.

“I was just- uh- frustrated... a little...” you stuttered. You felt so embarrassed right now, you almost wished you could just disappear. You never wanted him to see you that way; you wanted to be the cute perfect girl in his eyes and you had just embarrassed yourself in front of him; what kind of joke was that? The whole world hated you.

“You seemed like you could murder the pillow. Am I safe, by the way?” he said, taking a few steps into your room cautiously, lowering the pillow in his hands a little bit. You were sure you couldn’t blush any more than this. You placed your hands on your cheeks to cool them down a little.

“Yes you’re safe and if you keep on teasing me about it i’ll turn red permanently...” you mumbled, making him laugh a little.

“I’m worried about the health of the pillow.” He teased you more, coming in. You wanted to shrink into nothing already.

“Stop it...” you mumbled under your breath and he ruffled your already messy hair.

“Okay, okay; since today’s your birthday.” He said, sitting on your bed comfortably.

“How did you come in anyways?” you remembered to ask after a while, when you finally started to calm down. Then you realized it was what you should have thought at first.

“Ah yeah, I was gonna tell about that. Your front door isn’t locked; that’s not safe.” Donghae said.

“Yeah, intruders like you can come in as they want.” You nodded.

“I don’t mean harm but there are bad guys out there.” Donghae protested. You chuckled at how cute he could be.

“Okay, I shall lock the door.” You said, starting to walk out but he held your hand before you could get too far. You turned around to see him looking at you with his signature smile, which made you forget what you were about to do instantly.

“Happy 18th birthday, Hyemi. I’m glad you were born and I’m glad you’re my girl.” He said sweetly. You blushed again, this time from happiness.

“Thank you, Donghae; I’m glad you could make it today.” You said, smiling at him, probably looking like a brainless shojo girl in love – which you probably were, actually. He stood up and stuck his hand into his pocket.

“Turn around?” he said, you did as he told. Then he slipped a thin and cold thing around your neck. You pulled your hair out of his way so he could clip the necklace easier – which you assumed the thing was. When he clipped it and let go, you instantly touched it. It rest right on your chest, where your clevage would be if you had one.

You took it gently in your hand and turned to your mirror to see what it was. It was a small, gentle blue stone in a small silver cage; its color and the way it shone was like the sea. In your fingers it shone elegantly, looking like a caged part of the sea. It was so beautiful that you couldn’t take your eyes off of it.

“This is so...” you whispered, trying to find a better word to describe it; but in the end you stuck with the most simple: “...beautiful.”

“I’m glad you like it.” Donghae said, stealing a kiss from your cheek.

“It looks really expensive, though...” you mused, wondering if he’d admit.

“I’ve been saving up from my part-time job.” He said. So he had used all of that money to get you this?

“Oh, Donghae; you shouldn’t have...” you mused; but inside you were glad he did because this thing was just too precious.

“I worked there just to get you a decent present on your birthday, baby; don’t say I shouldn’t have.” He said, hugging you from behind, “You don’t turn 18 every day.”

You turned around in his arms to kiss him. You often shared kisses like this; but this one was so much more special to you.  You felt so lucky to be his girlfriend and you felt even more lucky to be loved like this. You couldn’t care less about the other people who couldn’t make it to your 18th birthday; just Donghae being here was enough for now.

“Thank you, love.” You said quietly, smiling,  when you broke the kiss. Donghae smiled back at you.

“Now go lock the door, beautiful.” He smiled cutely at you, making you melt again. Ahh, you were too charmed by him, it wasn’t fair...

“Okay.” You said and pecked his lips again quickly before going downstairs with a silly smile pasted on your face – the smile you just couldn’t erase from your face whenever you were with Donghae.

Downstairs, you went to the hall and grabbed your keys from your bag, locked the door quickly. You left the key on the door and walked towards the kitchen for a glass of water, it was then you noticed the weird, small light bulbs floating in the air in the living room.

You narrowed your eyes to see better, taking slow steps towards the door. When your eyes adjusted to the darkness, you saw that the lightbulbs are the little fires of candles that were lined on a giant cake – and that wasn’t even an exaggeration. The thing really was giant. It was pink and green like a flower, also decorated with stuff you thought looked like flowers.

“Donghaee?? What is this ginormus cake doing here?!” you called to him, still looking at the thing like it came from outer space.

“Huh?” was the only reply that came.

“Come down here, fishy!” you called again, thinking he would never get what you meant from up there, as you finally came back to the real world and went in, turning on the lights.

“SURPRISEEE!!!!”

You gasped, startled at the sudden noise and the weird creatures with shiny heads throwing some kind of colorful things on your head. You blinked a few times to clear your vision and let the info get processed in your brain. The creatures were clapping. They had faces... and the shiny things were hats and they were throwing confetti onto you while some of them clapped and laughed and already mocked you about your shock.

“Happy birthday, baby.” You came to your senses with Donghae’s kiss on your cheek. You looked around like crazy. Your mom, dad, brother, friends, BOTH best friends with their boyfriends and many others... a crazy, laughing crowd and everyone you wanted to see, all smilling at you. You felt yourself tear up already and blushed.

“You- you can’t do that to peolpe!!” you stuttered, flailing and hitting everyone you could get your hands on, making everyone run away, turning it into a tag game, until you finally stopped and started crying, unable to help yourself anymore.

“Aww, baby is crying~” you heard the adoring voices around, hands patting your back and wishing you happy birthday again and again.

“I thought none of you would come...” you whined, looking at every single person who refused your invitation politely. They smiled at you apologetically.

“I’m sorry, Hyemi; this wasn’t our idea.” One of your best friends said. You didn’t even have to think whose idea it was.

“Aish, I’m so gonna get him back for this!!” you said as you wiped your face; though you tried to sound annoyed, your happines was just too much for you to even stay mad.

“Don’t bother,” she chuckled, “he can’t be tricked, King of Games...”

“Did someone call me?” Kyuhyun appeared out of nowhere throwing his arm over your friends’ shoulders. Really, he was such a creep... you glared at him, his expression turned into a smug smile.

“Oh you don’t need to thank me, just wait until you see your present.” He said playfully before going back to wherever he came from. You rolled your eyes. You definitely weren’t looking forward to it.

“By the way, what’s with this cake? We’re not gonna feed an army!” you laughed, eyeing your cake again. Actually, it was pretty. It had three layers, was almost painted with the icing to look like a lily garden with edible lilies and leaves hanging from here and there.

“You don’t turn always eighteen, honey.” Your mom kissed your cheek, making you giggle sheepishly.  You could always turn eighteen and you wouldn’t mind, to be honest.

“So, here.” Your dad came with a bottle in his hands. You frowned a little to read the name; but you couldn’t.

“What’s that?”

“It’s the bottle I’ve been saving for today.” Your dad winked and smiled playfully at you – which was something you saw somewhere between rarely to never. You really couldn’t imagine a more confusing, weirder yet funnier day.

You enjoyed yourself as your friends had prepared a song list specially for you and your parents allowed you to max the volume. When it was time to cut the cake you had a hard time because of the size of it, so Donghae had to help you with it; when you had finally managed, both of your hands were covered in icing. Of course you poked each other with the icing before cleaning your hands but him kissing off the icing on the corner of your lips in front of your family wasn’t something you expected to happen.

Your father opened his mysterious bottle – which turned out to be a really good quality champagne – with a very wet and tasty ceremony. When everyone had gotten their cakes and champagnes, they started giving you their presents; most of them were beautiful jewelries though they could never match the one you got from Donghae, except some special ones.

Kyuhyun’s present was the limited edition version of an album that you had really wanted and the photocard collection of the band that you loved – which had you forgive him for all his sins instantly. You got a new pair of high heels – from your parents, which was the surprising thing since your mom worried a lot about your high heels – and a bag to match it. Your best friends got you a cute and pretty revealing party dress, showing a good portion of your legs that you are actually proud of, so it didn’t shock you that much to find condoms hidden in the package.  You made a mental note to scold them a little about meddling in your preferences about ity before continuing on with the night; you always forgot those mental notes anyways.

After that, your mom and dad went away and left the house to you. Thankfully there was no alcohol at home and none of you went out to buy some. You turned up the music again and had your share of fun. When people were tired enough, they started falling asleep wherever they found in the house instead of returning to their homes – which you found wise.

You went out to the balcony for a short while to get fresh air when the night started to calm down a little. You smiled to yourself as you waited for your body to cool down a bit; but it became pretty hard when you felt Donghae’s familliar arms wrap around your waist at the same time his warmth pressed against your back.

“Are you having fun?” he asked, leaning his chin on your shoulder.

“More than you can imagine. But that was still some harsh game you played on me. I got really sad, you know?” you complained to him.

“Yeah, I can still remember clearly how you beat up Mr. Pillow.” He said, you both chuckled. “By the way, you do know that you’re not allowed to wear that dress without me around, right?”

“Ahh, I guessed that much, jealous fish.” You said, placing your hands on his arms and leaning into his warmth.  Feeling his soft kiss on your shoulder made you smile again.

“Good.” He said with a soft voice as you looked up to the stars. They shone so bright tonight, as if they were shining for you. The night had ended a way you had never expected. This had definitely become a birthday to remember. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OH MY GOD I UPDATED!!! /shot 

ahaha, actually no; i didn't really update yet. this is a birthday fiction i wrote for Strawberyl. i hate leaving blanks for the name so i randomly chose a name.... well okay, not that randomly but still, haha xD

hope you enjoyed this little oneshot of mine as well. i'm waiting for the comments honestly; i'd love to know what you think about it. 

take care, people! :3