Clueless / part 1 - your POV -

Short Stories - Starring: You

I was so friggin tired. 

I'd been working my off since yesterday morning and it was almost midnight already. And I still had to work until the next morning. It wasn't my fault; there'd been a mistake with the attendance list. I'd tried to switch with someone; but everyone seemedf to be busy. No, the life just hated me. 

I washed my face for the zillionth time that day and slumped on the couch, waiting for what was the come this night. If I was a little lucky despite everything, I would get to sleep a little. Every place in my body ached, including the ends of my hair. I'd swallowed a painkiller about ten minutes ago. I assumed I'd feel better in about fifteen minutes or so. 

I rose to my feet when my professor entered the room. He smiled at me, full of pity, before sitting down and motioning me to sit too. Of course, I had nothing not to pity today.

I'd come to Korea all the way from England, following a dream, to get my MD here. I was one of the senior assistants, scheduled to get my MD in about a year, if things went well. I was working in Seoul National University Hospital, with a pretty nice wage; but even after all this time passed here, there were still times I couldn't understand what people were saying. I had been away from my family for about four years now and I missed them a lot. This was all the hardship I went through usually. But not these two days. Last night, there was a big emergency of a car crash and the explosion that came after it. I was friggin stressed out and tired; also almost high on coffee - I'd drowned more than 20 cups, I guess. And I had attendance today too. So I was totally pathetic today. 

"Do you want an easy job today? You don't look very good." my professor said. I felt gratitude rising from my chest. 

"Would you do that, teacher?" I said, smiling for the first time in about 24 hours. 

"Yeah. It's kind of like a nanny job. You'll need to take care of an important patient; do acupuncture and you'll be able to sleep when he sleeps." he explained. I bowed in gratitude.

"Thank you, teacher!" I beamed - as much as I could with this much fatigue. He waved his hand briefly and handed me the patient file. 

"Just go quickly. I think he's waiting for a doctor right now." he said. I took the file, bowed and left the room. I'd gotten totally lucky today. I must look really that pathetic, I thought; Teacher was usually pretty stern and had a motto like 'working, working, working!' or something like that; I'd never thought he'd have mercy on me. I was grateful. 

I checked out the file as I walked towards the room written on the top of the file. Kim Jong Woon, 26; has fainted due to excessive stress and fatigue, has a slight strain on his shoulder too. They had started IV serum infusions, injected IM muscle relaxants and had given one low dose tablet of oral painkiller when he woke up. I sighed when I reckognized the path I was walking. This path led to the special rooms that had only one bed - for more special patients. I grabbed the necessary equipment on my way and then went to the room. 

I opened the door and entered the room, My patient was complaining when I entered the room like "I really hate hospitals... this smell is not nice... and everywhere's white... I could just rest at the dorm... they should have allowed me out..." but he quieted down when I closed the door. My eyes met with his stirking black eyes that shone under his messy hair the moment I raised my head. I had so not expected to see this person -not just any Kim Jong Woon but the Kim Jong Woon. But I was too tense and soulles to care truly at all. It could have been the whole SM beauties lined up and I might have cared then. Also, there was something about doctor-patient relationships. I mean, come on, we're professionals here.

"Hello. I'm your doctor assigned to take care of you tonight." I said, the words leaving my mouth almost automatically. I put the file in its place by the end of the bed and laid my equipment on the table next to his bed. He was silently watching me, I thought his eyes could drill a hole in my aching brain. 

"You're foreign." he stated. I looked at him; saw both curiosity and distrust in his eyes. Surely I didn't look that incapable... or did I? 

"Yes, I am. And you're a popstar. Both equally important; the amount being zero percent." I smiled slightly, not being able to hold my tongue - I doubted I could be the gentle doctor with all the caffein in my system, actually. I took a calming breath, "I need to examine you first. Can you take off your shirt?" 

"Do I have to?" Yesund said. I sighed. What did he think I was gonna do? 

"I can't stick all my needles in your face, can I? I need to see where you're hurt, so I can actually do my job." I said, my voice sounding almost as fed up as I felt. I was running out of patience quicker than I'd thought today. I tried to collect myself; I couldn't let myself be like this. So I forced my facial muscles into a calming smile. 

Yesung nodded. I turned away as he took of the shirt of the hospital pajamas; from my experiences, I knew patients felt more comfortable if you didn't watch them stripping off. When I assumed he might be done, I turned back to him. He had put the shirt kinda neatly aside, sitting in all his glory, topless. This managed to light a spark in my exhausted body and soul for about one second - which I doubted might be my stomach finally reacting to the excessive amount of coffee. 

"Where were you hurt?" I asked, sitting down next to him.

"Here, this... and here." Yesung pointed to just above his left clavicle and the lower part of his deltoid muscle. I examined him carefully as he only reacted wincing slightly; I decided how to proceed with the acupuncture.

"Lay down properly, please." I instructed, preparing the needles. He slid down on the bed and did as you said, I started doing my job. After an hour that went in complete silence - him watching me all the while, almost truly reading into my brain - I was done with my job. 

"It's done; but don't move for a while. How are you feeling?" I asked without looking at him; too busy gathering my equipment properly.

"Better, I think." he said. I adjusted his serum's infusion speed. This is totally a Korean disease, I thought; fainting from fatigue - or just fainting out of blue. They were all so fragile, it was in their genes. 

"You'll rest for the night, tomorrow you'll be discharged." I said. It was written on the note attached to the file - he would be discharged in the morning when someone whose name I didn't remember arrived. Well, it wasn't like he was exactly my patient anyways. Teacher had just lent him to me. 

"Sure..."

"I will stay here; tell me if there's anything."

"Okay." he nodded, opening the TV. He checked out the channels and stopped at a story about sea turtles. I sighed; it would have been better if he just slept. He was supposed to be tired, right? I went ahead and made myself comfortable on the armchair on the corner. It was so comfortable, almost cozy. I appreciated being able to relax after all that running around. The show that was on was also so calming; the man that talked on TV had such a soothing voice, like a father telling a fairytale; it sounded like a lullaby. I soon started to feel my eyelids closing. He wasn't asleep yet, so I was supposed to stay awake; but I just couldn't help it. In the end, I lost my fight with fatigue.

"You aren't gonna sleep, are you?" 

My eyes snapped back open at his voice. His eyes were fixed on me, almost piercing into me. I would have thought he was about to kill me if I didn't know it was just the shape of his eyes.

"Why don't you sleep too? You fainted, remember? You need to rest." I said. 

"I slept. And Casey's story isn't over yet." he said, pointing towards the TV, "Why are you being so grim?"

"OK, I haven't slept in about 36 hours and I still have at least 12 hours before I'm set free. Sleep? Please?"

"But the show..." he started; but just then, the show ended. I sighed again and sent a silent thank-you to the God for showing mercy.

"It's over now. It'll also be better for healing faster. Sleep." I urged. He gave in and closed the TV, closed his eyes and pulled the covers over his head. I threw my head back on the armchair and slumped more into it. Without wasting any time, my eyes started closing on their own again. I started to fight back the sleep, planning to stay awake until I was sure  he was asleep; but before I knew it, the world had sunk into a gentle dream. 

***

When I woke up, the sun was shining on my face. I stretched and lazily got off my armchair. I got a little water for myself and gulped it down, then went next to the windows. It was a beautiful day, no clouds on the sky. It looked cheerful. And I felt cheerful. I felt well rested, calm and more like myself. 

Yesung was still sleeping, like a little angel. He had the blanket up to his chin, his hair falling gracefully over his eyes, his lips parted and plump; so beautiful under the gentle rays of morning sun, so heavenly, peerless... 

He brought his small hand up to his hair as he snuggled more into the blanket, scratched his head and opened his eyes lazily with a sigh. His eyes found mine after a shot while.

"Good morning." I smiled at him. A ghost of a smile played on his lips.

"You really were exhausted last night, I see." he said, gently, "You look a lot better today."

"Thank you." I chuckled softly. He didn't reply, so I just locked my eyes on his beautiful jet black eyes. 

"Doctor Cydney. Good morning." 

Hearing my name morphed into something like "shid-nee" as always, I turned my head and looked at the door. My merciful professor and a man I didn't reckognize were entering the room. I bowed respectfully.

"Professor. Good morning." I greeted them. I heard Yesung shift in bed. 

"Manager." he said. 

"Good morning, Doctor." the man behind professor greeted me back and turned his eyes to Yesung, "Are you feeling better now?"

"Considerably, yes. Can I be discharged?" Yesung practically begged the man. I glanced at him. Did he hate hospitals that much? I didn't remember hearing something like that before. Well yeah, I used to be a fangirl, so sue me. 

"I did everything you told last night precisely, professor. He has also rested well, I believe." I said when my professor looked at me with questioning eyes. "Would you like me to do the check-ups or should I leave?"

"You can leave now." professor said. Really, this man could grow wings anytime now. I bowed to them.

"Thank you." I said, then turned to Yesung and smiled, "Take care of yourself." I said formally, then proceeded to leave the room.  

As I went to my locker, my face was covered with a giant smile. Today was my day off, I'd slept yesterday and I had a full day free. Oh, it felt like years had passed since I last had a day like this. I gathered my things, checked up on the files of my patients and dealed with necessary formalities and left the hospital as the interns were starting their morning visits. As the sun was shining down on me, I started walking home. 

Today was my lucky day, it seemed. I had got to see one of the people that introduced me to the existence of a country named Korea, I had managed to get sleep, I had got on the good side of professor somehow and was lucky enough to wake up before he busted on me sleeping on the armchair. And now I had a full day off; a full friggin' day. It really was a beautiful day. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hello, people!! >w< i'm gonna tell you, the fun hasn't even started yet with this story. it's just something like a prologue where you introduce your character a little and nothing starts. 

yeah, this is based on a story my friend had in her mind - but that annoying little panda never writes any of her stories while the plot is so friggin perfect. so i decided to steal one, ho ho ho~ with her consent, of course =w= 

so, i hope you like this fic, cuz i totally loved it while listening to it. i'm looking forward to hearing your opinions~ please do comment cuz COMMENTS ARE LOVE AND I LOVE YOU ALL!!! >w< thank you~ 

also, i haven't edited properly cuz i barely even find the time to write; so please do tell me if you happen to see any mistake, i'll really appreciate it :3

take care, people! ^w^