Chapter 1: Weird Day Today

My Name is Sandara Park

 "Normalcy is everything for me especially coming from a celebrity life  denied of privacy and simple freedom of being just ordinary."

 

In my dorm


Ugh... Stop it Kwon Jiyong! I groaned and rubbed my head thereafter. I got hit by a rolled up newspaper in the head... just woke up though with a hangover from a graduation after party. I tried breaking my eyes open as he was nagging relentlessly for what I did. I got drunk without him. I seemed kinda lost it when I've decided to go out with a blast last night.

 

Brief history about us:

So my name is Sandara Park and I live in a dorm near campus with Park Borm as my roommate. Kwon Jiyong is basically my boyfriend. We went into fashion school together. He's good looking, rich and a bachelor. What more can I ask for? He belongs to a family line who owned luxurious clothing company in Seoul. On the other hand, I was once into fashion modelling myself before and did phenomenally well. It was in the height of my career that I decided to get into fashion designing.. knowing pretty damn well that a career in modeling is quite fleeting once you age. Oh yeah, not to mention my role as the head of the family since my father left us for some petty reason that only he can understand. 

 

Rise and shine baby girl. Ji just hit me again in the same spot. I'm up.. I'm up.. I pulled myself together, with hands guarding my head  as I tried getting out of bed avoiding Ji's scourge of disclipine.  You should've texted me, why would you go out alone? I'm not quite sure if I am that lucky enough having a nagging boyfriend early in the morning or is it? I looked at the clock it's seven minutes past eleven. I'm sorry Ji, it won't happen again. Despite of my supersize ego, arguing with him in this state is futile. I was half awake while making my way to the bathroom. 

 

Jagiya, how about we grab some lunch? I simply nodded in response but Jiyong was like talking nonstop to himself while reading the newspaper in his hand.  I still don't get it though, why you have to live in this dorm when clearly you can afford a place of your own. Damn this headache, I am really not in the mood to talk right now. And here's the thing,  it's not easy being in a relationship with him. He's no ordinary guy and we kept our relationship in low profile. But nevertheless, we have managed to keep it going despite the odds. He spoiled me a lot. I have nothing much to say on that. Only "time" was a luxury for us, he's quite busy at his young age. We seldom go out lately since he's father had given him a lot of responsibilities recently. The finals and other school matters have also affected the time we spend with each other.

 

Occupying a dorm near campus is no big deal for me. Its just that Jiyong is finding it hard to adjust with the  privacy. It's  because I'm sharing a room with Park Bom. She's a friend.. no..  more like a twin sister. She's older than me by months but she acts more like a kid at heart in so many ways. She's a fashion model too and is on her final year in college major in Psychology.  Although she's a senior, she got pulled behind with her studies because of her work.

 

While in the Café..

I went straight ahead and chose the spot where there is good lightings and breathable space while Ji made the orders in the counter. Just like any ordinary day, I grabbed my sketchbook and pen out from my bag pack and started doing some sketches. Hey, can you do that later? Its been a while since we have this time together. Jiyong pleaded as he approached our table. Meanwhile, the café crew delivered our food in the table instead of just buzzing their restaurant pager. She might be new here, I thought. But what got me triggered was the greetings of this waitress. It was a bit loud and ricocheted through my hungover ear which made me cringed a little with the headache. 

 

Damn, someone needs to tone that down!! 

 

I whined as I blurted out  my thoughts unconciously while pinching my nose bridge with my thumb and index finger to ease the throbbing headache that's been bothering me since this morning. 

 

LEE CHEARIN!!  

 

I just read it out loud not realizing how obnoxious I sounded as I lifted my head to face her. Yes!!! Great morning to you! She repeated her greetings with a grain of sarcasm in her tone. Geeez.. rough night? Chaerin added. Jiyong was a bit concern over my manners. Take it easy Dara. He stood up from his seat then apologized for my misdemeanor. You're new here huh? I've never seen you before? Ji was so accommodating that he managed to have a small talk with her.

 

I took a glimpse of her as I saw her staring back at me. "That's weird," was all I could ever think of. Oddly enough, even with  light make up, she still looks pretty and familiar. Her half moon shaped eyes were quite charming especially when it gently curve giving off an expressive and animated eye smile. I looked the other way but my eyes keep going back in her direction. She was just  wearing a regular black slacks uniform and a white long sleeve folded up to her elbow with is three pocket half waist server apron reinforced with ties at the back. Her hair was dyed blonde and wavy, long enough to flaunt her soft and bouncy locks. There's nothing really special  about her I supposed.. except with her charming eye smile.

 

Yes, I am new here, just started this morning. Chaerin replied. Enjoy your meal then. She ended the conversation abruptly and went back to her post. That's weird.. Jiyong muttered.  And why would that be? I retorted Using the same word as mine is already weird enough for me.. can this day be any weirder than it is. She was looking at you the whole time. Didn't even bother to look at me while I was talking to her. Jiyong explained. Oh.. What is this? Is he jealous? Over a girl? Even the thought of it is just silly, leaving a smirk on my face while reaching over for the hot cocoa.

  

After a while, Ji and I were almost done with the brunch. Jagiya, I need to go. Well, Dad gave me this new project but didn't give enough details about it yet. So, I will see you later? I simply nodded in response and Jiyong planted a kiss on my forehead stealthily then took his leave. I know I shouldn't feel awkward about this but I'm feeling awkward about this. I'm not comfortable with public display of affection especially with the current status of our relationship.

 

After an hour

I was fully immersed with my sketches when Chaerin appeared in front of me. Oh, excuse me.. I didn't mean to disturb but I just thought you might be interested. She extended her arm holding an envelope without making an eye contact to me. It was a weird occurrence as I do not usually entertain this kind of gesture.  But, I' guess I'll give it an exemption.  I got curious and took the piece of paper out from her hand then read the printed words in silence. Oh.. its an invitation for fashion models.. thanks but I am not a model.. I shyly lied and said in a low tone  then offered her my thin smile. 

 

Chaerin reacted with a smile as well. Read the next line below.. its open for fashion designers too.  How did she.. wait,  am I that obvious? Oh.. this is big.. I responded looking so amazed with eyes wide open when I saw that major fashion industries in SKorea were sponsoring the event. Yeah.. so, I've heard... but do you mind if I will take a seat? I just nodded in response. Oh what the hell is she thinking? It was just moments ago when I was so rude to her and yet she's giving me this invitation. I rubbed my forehead in disbelief. Is this some kind of a prank? And this is not some ordinary invitation. Where did she even get this? 


You don't talk much huh? Chaerin just broke my inner monologue. I lifted my head then locked my gaze on her still so puzzled.  I mean, she doesn't even know me. No.. I mean yes.. I'm not that good around people. I responded but the truth is, I'm quite shy talking especially to strangers. Although, I have a lot of questions in mind, it's just that I'm having second thoughts on this one. But she rather looks familiar. 

 

LEE CHAERIN!! She said in a loud voice then giggled. I almost jumped out of my seat with her volume of her voice. Is she trying to make fun of me? She just mimicked my tone earlier, I'm not even sure if I would be offended by it or what. But she extended her hand towards me for a handshake as if introducing herself formally wearing the same childlike grin and a half moon shaped eyes that I would have to conclude her own brand of smile. Then, the feeling of awkwardness reeked in on me. I reached out for her hand trying hard to hide my nerves and shook it lightly. 

 

My name is Sandara Park. I told her nicely. Her hand was warm and oh,  this is cute, she has chubby hands as I released a snicker but I immediately suppressed it when she looks a bit concern over my reaction. But its just me though, I have my fair share of weakness over chubby hands. Sssandar.. most people don't get to pronounce my name well. It's San-Dara, call me Dara. Oh damn this hand of mine, I hope she won't notice it though, it's quite cold and clammy but at least it's not shaking.

 

Are you feeling okay? Chaerin said and still not releasing my hand. I pulled it back slightly and she let go. I am okay.. its just that uhm.. How would I even explain my lack in social skills? It's okay.. I won't disturb you any longer. She muttered. Wait what? No, I'm kind of awkward with meeting new people. So, I kind of pushed myself a little and grabbed her arm abruptly as she was about to stand up. I'm.. I'm sorry. I said out loud then froze. This is just weird. I must be out of my mind. This is so unlike me, talking or touching people randomly. Damn me, then I released her hand subsequently.

 

I'm sorry? She replied.  Oh, it's about my behaviour earlier. I.. I didn't mean to be rude.. I said with a hint of nerve in my voice. It's okay, I've seen that a lot around here.. Chaerin added and gave out her own kind of  branded smile again.  Now, I am feeling bad of what I did. I am not usually like this.. so.. uhm.. are you new here? .. did I just ask that? That was so dumb. What do you think? She answered then giggled. Ugh, I guess she'd noticed.. But then, a new customer just walked in and disrupted our conversation. Hey, thanks for your time but I have to.. She stood right up. It's okay.. I cut her off.  Maybe next time, we can have longer time to talk.. she uttered and took her bow then walks away wearing the same smile guiding the other customer in her seat.

 

Today is totally a weird day. I  gazed back  at the invitation in my hand. Hul.. Is this even for real? I murmured as I glanced to the direction of that peculiar waitress and her name is Lee Chaerin.. A smile broke on my face realizing how silly could this be. I better go and check everything out if indeed this is all real.