Chapter 35

"Is It Love?"

 

 

 

Youngsaeng fidgeted on his bed, not bothering on how it would gave effect on his neatly ironed tuxedo. It was the night of his and Seungeyeon’s engagement, just exactly one month after Gyuri and Hyunjoong’s one. Everything was a massive blur for him. At first he thought that Seungyeon would turn down the idea their parents offered, but to his surprised she agreed right away, leaving him flabbergasted.

It was one week later he got to find the reasons why. They were sitting at the backyard of his house in a late afternoon; she was coming over with her family for a dinner invitation from his mother. The sun was about to set down, it was all beautiful with the orange-ish ray filling the place; bore down upon her body that was dressed in a white simple dress. He found it fascinating, taking his breath away. She was glowing even more in his eyes.

“It’s really beautiful, isn’t it?” She said referring to the view in front of her eyes, cutting his peaceful-breathless moment upon seeing her. He nodded then uttered a small ‘yes’, still staring at her. You are the beautiful one. He added inside, not utterly agreeing on her thought. His mind clearly clouded with something else, something more important than the view of sun setting down in the sky for him, her.

“Otter-nim,”  He caught off guard when she suddenly turned her head to look at him. He quickly changed the look that he had on his face to a normal one and much to his luck she didn’t seem to see the stupid-enchanted expression that was plastered on his face for the past minutes. “Yes?”

“I’m just thinking, hmmm, don’t you think that I should change the way I call you?” She took a paused and looked down; visibly shy of uttering the next words. “Well, I can’t call you ‘otter-nim’ forever especially that we are going to…. Well, it will be funny to cal y-your f-fiancée in such way.” She had blushed furiously by the end of her words, and it didn’t help him at all to see her being so cute. Reflexively his hand went out find the way to her nose and pinched her there, earning him a small shriek and a slap on his arm from her.

“Why do you do that?” She asked, annoyed.

He laughed, “Don’t blame me. It’s your fault for being so cute.” He said, and the red crimson hue that had faded away for awhile crawling back to her face.  She tried to say something in response, but failed. He continued to chuckle.

“How will you call me, then?” He looked at the watch on his wrist. It was almost the dinner time; their parents would call them soon.

She was still in the middle of putting her heart at rest. For some reason she wasn’t sure, there was a butterfly-like effect on her stomach earlier then her heart started to beat faster than usual. She let out a small sigh.

“I’m not sure. Do you have any idea? The kind of nickname that you like, maybe? You don’t really happy with me calling you ‘otter’ all the time, I guess.”

No. If it’s from you, I’m all willing to hear it. As long as it’s you.

He had to put a lot of effort to prevent himself from saying it. She would freak out, and he wouldn’t want it to be awkward again between them. Other than that, he didn’t want to turn his self into a cheese ball. It didn’t mean he would stop teasing her, though.

“Hmmm, I have several choices. Like, ‘Baby’, ‘Darling’ or ‘Honey’?” Holding a smile, he waited for her response. She didn’t disappoint him at all. Seungyeon had started to blush again, but this time she fought it and bravely shot him a death glare.

“I didn’t mean it in that way! Stop teasing me, you bad Otter!”

He burst into a loud laugh. It was then when he realized Jiyoung had appeared on the doorway, shooting a mischievous smile and look at them.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your cute-lovely couple fight, but Imo told me to call you guys. The dinner is almost ready.” She said in a fake apologetic tone then turned around to walk back inside. But she stopped in her track and looked at them again. “Anyway, I like Otter Baby, it sounds reallyyy cute.” And she stormed inside while giggling like a crazy teenager she was, with Youngsaeng yelling ‘Ya!’ behind.

“I don’t know anymore. It’s your fault.”

He turned his gaze to Seungyeon that was now covering her face with both hand out of her embarrassment. Even her ears had turned red too. Youngsaeng ruffled her hair then took her hand, pulling her to stand up with him.

“I’m sorry. Let’s forget it and put this nickname thingy aside for now. Let’s go inside, okay?” He put his index finger and thumb on her chin, bringing her to look at him. She gave a small subtle nod, but then she grasped his arm hard before he could make a single move. He gave her a questioning look.

“Wait. First Otter-nim, I think I really have to explain something to you.” She cleared . “I’m really sorry. I’m always sorry for giving you a lot of troubles. It was just a single tease from Jiyoung yet I blamed you while I was the one who made us being in this kind of situation.”

She paused to look straight into his eyes. “Later when we sit on the dining table, our parents will surely try to dig more details about our relationship. You’ll be in a burdensome situation again and it’s my entire fault for agreeing on the idea of being engage. I wasn’t thinking clearly at that time. I’m really sorry.”

Youngsaeng choked, stiffened at her words. Just if you know the truth, you won’t be here right now. You’ll hate me with all your might.

“Do you remember that day? That day when we walked back home?”

Seungyeon asked then stopped, waiting for a response even though she was sure he remembered it. She didn’t notice how tense he was at the moment. He nodded slowly, maintained his act.

“I saw him.” She continued afterwards. “I saw him on the convenience store, that’s why I went back to you without the drinks that I promised you.”

Seungyeon felt the painful tug on her heart. She was sure, sooner or later, she would start crying, and she didn’t want him to see that. So, she diverted her gaze, avoiding his eyes, looking at the distant sky.

“I didn’t know why, but he scared me, it made me scared whenever I saw him.  It felt as if there was a knot in my heart. It hurts. But I didn’t want it to be that way forever, I don’t want it. I have to move on.” She looked down now, blankly staring at the small space between them. The end of her lips was drawn aside, showing a grim smile. Youngsaeng noticed at how her eyes turned really dull, ironically really different from how it glowed minutes ago.

“So, when our parents told us about the thought of engagement they have, I agreed right away. I saw this as a chance to start a new thing, a new chapter of my life. But foolishly I didn’t think about you, about your feelings and conditions. You probably have someone that you love right now, the one that you want to marry later in the future. But then, boom! I came and ruined every plan that you probably have with your life. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” A single guilty tear had fallen down from her eyes by the end of her words.

“It’s okay. Please, don’t cry. I’m alright with it. You probably just saved me from being a forever spinster.” Youngsaeng tried to joke it out, wiping the tears with his thumb. He held her hand even tighter while giving a soothing on the back of her hand.

I’m the one who should apologize now, Seungyeon-ah. I’ve done worst.

It was agonizing for him to hear her reason, the fact that Kyujong still had the effects for her though not in a good way. But, wasn’t that the feeling of loving someone too much? That it sometimes broke you down, harmed you, and wounded you in every way possible. He realized again that day; she still loved Kyujong, more than he thought.

In addition to that, it stabbed him right in the heart when she uttered the next words.

“I know you will say it, you are always really kind to me.” She finally smiled genuinely again, letting out a small chuckle at his joke. “But don’t worry, you will never be one of it. I will help you to find your other half, then we can find a way to end all this drama and you’ll live happily ever after with her.”

He hardly smiled back at her, refrained his self from grinding his teeth. His other hand that wasn’t holding hers clenched. He thought he was the one that was hurt on that game, but without his knowledge she secretly questioned her self for feeling that she wasn’t really sincere when she said that.

Han Seungyeon, you aren’t probably jealous, are you?

In the end, I probably will end up being a really bad person for you, Seungyeon-ah. What if I don’t want to let you go, then?

“Yes, of course you have to do that. You have to find her for me, or you have to end up marrying me for real.”

*****

 

 

“Oppa! Are you done? We’ll be running late if we don’t leave now!”

Jiyoung’s loud shout from the downstairs interrupted his daydreaming. He took a look at the watch on his wrist, forty-five minutes before the engagement party started. Stood up from the bed, straightened up the tuxedo he was wearing, he went out from his bedroom at his house and walked downstairs. He found Jiyoung waiting for him there, all pouting and annoyed in her royal blue dress.

“What’s with that look? Are you moping that now your oppa are going to get engage so you’re afraid that you will lose my love for you?” He asked, making fun of the look on her face. It earned him a stomp on her foot.

“Eww. Of course not! I’ve been calling you for how many times already, yet you didn’t give me a single answer. How could you be so loosen up? It’s your engagement for God’s sake! What if you’re late? Where do I have to put my face, then? Really, Oppa!”

He only laughed at her nag. “Ahrasseo. It seems that you’re bonding with Gyuri too often, you’ve started to sound and nag much just like her, you know. Where’s Mom and Dad? Let’s go.”

“They are already waiting at the car. And, I’m telling that to Gyuri unnie. You’re so dead later.”

*****

 

 

The ride to the hotel where the event would be held felt like really long for him while it was actually just took twenty minutes. He had the mixed feelings inside. He kept thinking whether it was the right thing to do, but after a while realized that it was too late to cancel everything, not that he wanted to, though. He was nervous yet really excited and couldn’t wait to see how she looked.

They arrived there and went to greet her parents who were talking to some guests. His parents joined them instantly since the guests were people from their business circle too. He and Jiyoung started to move away after some more platitudes with the guests. Later, Jiyoung parted with him after seeing her best friends Suzy and Sulli that she invited. They gave him a congratulatory and he continued to look around for Seungyeon. He didn’t invite any of his friends, anyway. The one that he used to consider a best friend was Kyujong, but he ridiculously couldn’t invite him, right?

Youngsaeng bumped into Nicole near the buffet table. She wasn’t eating like usual, but managing it instead, giving order to the waiters and waitresses on where to put this and that, making sure that everything was perfect. Since the first time Seungyeon told her about the engagement, aside to her disbelief, she insisted that she would do the food matter, for free, right from her mother’s famous kitchen.

“I don’t know how this plan of yours will end up, but you, my only best friend, is not getting engage everyday. So, let me take care of it.” That was what she said―with a tone full of authority―when Seungyeon politely refused her idea. Seungyeon couldn’t be less thankful and agreed.

“The food look really delicious Nicole-ssi.”

“Oh my gosh! You scared me.” Nicole jumped on her place, didn’t expect Youngsaeng to appear behind her. She turned around to see him. “Ah and thank you. I and my mother specially made this all ourselves.” She said proudly.

“Thank you so much, Cole. I’ll greet your mother later to thank her personally. Now, do you know where Seungyeon is? I haven’t seen her.”

“No problem Otter Ahjussi. Eww, can’t wait anymore to see her? Your eyes will fall out from its place when you see how beautiful she is later.” She teased. His face got red.

“I think she is somewhere in that room with Gyuri.” Nicole said, pointed at the door on the left side. He said ‘okay’ and ‘thank you’ and was about to leave when Nicole called him again.

“Wait Otter Ahjussi.” She took a breath. “Since I know your real feelings for Seungyeon, so…congratulation on your engagement. Please take care of her, I know you will. And, you better confess to her as soon as possible. She’s willing to forget that jerk Kim Kyujong and I think she’s ready to open her heart again. Who knows it will be a good chance for you. I trust you. Fighting!”

He didn’t know how to react to Nicole other than giving her a small smile and nod before walking away for real to see Seungyeon.

He knocked on the door two times and went in after he heard Gyuri shouted a ‘get in’. He found Gyuri right before his eyes when he opened the door, blocking the sight of Seungyeon who was sitting in a chair behind her.

“Oh there you are.” The sister said, “Our Seungyeon’s fiancée to be. You guys have five minutes to talk. I better left you guys alone then.”

Gyuri started to walk toward him and that was when he saw Seungyeon, all peaceful and beautiful in her seat with her classy black-gold dress that matched his tuxedo. For a while, he thought he had lost his soul, breathless but still managed to control his expression. He smiled at her as she smiled back to him. He didn’t even notice and care when Gyuri walked passes him while saying a sharp ‘you better take a good care of her’. All that he had on his eyes was her, Han Seungyeon.

“I’m disappointed.” He said after a session of only staring at each other, walking closer to her.

“Why?” She asked as she stood up. A bright smile on her face, she knew it was another joke and tease he was going to throw at her.

“I expected you to show your real self at our engagement.” He was now only a few steps away from her. “You should’ve worn a hamster costume, you know.” He grinned and she slapped him on the arm since he was already at her reach distance.

“Look who’s talking.” She shot him a fake sarcastic look. “An otter who’s not wearing his otter costume.”

“Ya!” He yelled at her affectionately.

She laughed. “Merong. Mister Heo, do you think I still won’t be able to match your childish jokes and teases now? Really.”

“Aigoo. So, now my Hamster can joke around too? You’re taking my favorite fun part away.” He said. Seungyeon felt some strange movement on her stomach at his claim.

“Tch.”

My Hamster?

She felt her cheeks heated up but quickly shook it away. He probably slipped his tongue or teasing you again, you fool.

 “You look beautiful today.” He suddenly said, out of nowhere, making her couldn’t stop her self from blushing this time. Her face got all red and he liked the view in front of him too much.

In her panicky all that she could do was hanging her head down and spoke in a not more than a whisper voice, “s-stop teasing me.”

“I’m not.” He stated in an all serious tone, making her surprised and blushed even more.

“I-I-” She stuttered, trying to say something but then give up. She couldn’t think any while her heartbeat went wild like that.

Why am I being like this?

Seungyeon still didn’t understand why she always got that effect on her whenever he said something like that while she thought he was clearly joking and teasing her.

It was then Nicole who saved her from further fluttering moments and confusion.

“You guys, everyone is waiting right now. It’s gonna start.”

*****

 

 

“Ya Kang Jyong, what’s wrong ? What are you looking for?”

Suzy had noticed the strange behavior her friend showed since a moment ago, so she decided to ask. Sulli was around the buffet, taking some cake for them to enjoy before the event started.

“I can’t find Kyujong oppa.” Jiyoung was still circulating her gaze around the big room.

“Why do you think he isn’t here yet? He shouldn’t be late on his best friend’s special night, don’t you think so?” She said, turning her head to face Suzy. The later nodded.

“Why don’t you call him?” Sulli, who had just joined them again, suggested. Jiyoung’s eyes sparked instantly.

“You’re genius!” She exclaimed, gave Sulli a quick squeeze then took out her cell phone from her purse, dialing Kyujong’s number. There were several waiting beep until Kyujong answered her call.

“Oppa! Where are you? Aren’t you coming to Youngsaeng oppa’s engagement party?” Jiyoung blurted out as soon as she heard the sign sound that Kyujong has answered it. But then got confused when Kyujong asked her what engagement she was talking about.

“Oppa, you don’t know about it? Tonight is Youngsaeng Oppa and Seungyeon Unnie’s engagement day.”

It was strange, she thought. How Kyujong could have no idea about it? He was Youngsaeng’s best friend.

“Oppa, you don’t probably forget about it, right? You should be here for Youngsaeng Oppa on his special day.”

“Okay, oppa. You better be fast. It’s going to start soon. I’ll see you then.”

She ended the call after telling Kyujong the location. Suzy and Sulli nudged her, asking on how it was.

“He said me he fell asleep and just woke up right when I called him. His mind is a mess that he forgot about the engagement. Poor Kyujong Oppa, he must be really busy lately.” She told them, shaking her head concernedly.

Jiyoung still hadn’t known the term that was going between Youngsaeng, Seungyeon, and Kyujong. She never thought the thing that she just did would generate another trouble for Youngsaeng and Seungyeon.

 

Meanwhile, a few miles away on Kyujong’s place a mirror had just broken. He was beyond angry, to both Youngsaeng and his self for not working fast. He was about to lose Seungyeon, the girl that he actually loved. He realized it was a really big mistake for ditching and kicking her out of his life just because he was afraid to face his own growing feelings for her.

Seungyeon-ah, I can’t lose you. 

*******************************************************************************************

 

 

 

 

Author's note:
Hello, it's been a while. I just got my holiday, means that I also just got the time to write again. I hope this chapter can make it up to you guys, for the long waiting you guys have been through.

Only a few chapters left and I'll end this story. I hope you guys will always be patient to wait for me keke. Thank you so much for the support for all this time. Love ya :)