Chapter 9

My Helpline

"ing hell!" Taehyung groans, throwing his bag at the floor when he enters his apartment, slamming the door behind himself and kicking his shoes off.

He doesn't have much proof on that the so called 'Jinyoung' is really Jungkook. But he can't risk it, even if the chances are small. If he hesitates it could cost him someone's life.
But then again, getting involved with Kangdae again? Not a pleasant idea.

He glances at his watch impatiently, waiting till 7 comes so he can speak with Jungkook, maybe confirm it actually is the boy he has met.

He's walking towards his room when his phone starts ringing, he pulls it out and reads the ID before answering.

"Hello, Namjoon?"

"Hey, what happened before?"

Taehyung sighs "Honestly I don't even know, I'll tell you when I get everything together"

"OK... anyways, I didn't call to ask questions. I got something more about the boy while boss was gone"

Taehyung's full attention turns to Namjoons voice "What do you have?"

"He turned nineteen not too long ago. It's registered that he entered school one year late due to family issues, which means he's still a student at this moment"

Taehyung nods, more at himself really, Jungkook already told him about that "Joon, I need the school's address-"

"Now here's the problem, he has changed schools three times, the most recent one was almost two years ago, but when I checked the address... Taehyung that school closed down last year"

The younger stops to think for a moment "I need you to search the school's student records"

"Hell no" Namjoon says "as if searching the Jeons wasn't against the rules already. You know I can't do that Tae"

"Hyung-" Taehyung pauses, rethinking his choices "Okay yes, sorry, I'll figure something out. Thanks Namjoon you helped, a lot"

"You're welcome, I'll get back to work, talk to you later"

"Yea ok, bye" Taehyung ends the call. His hand falls from his ear, holding the phone tightly. His head resting against the door frame. 'How do I find you Jungkook...?"

                                       -----

"Should I walk home with you?" Jimin looks at Jungkook, who has been silent for most of the time.

Jungkook shakes his head "Thats a bad idea, thanks though"
Jimin sighs "Watch out for yourself, see you at school"
The younger gives a slight nod before turning to walk his way.

Jungkook feels anxiety hitting in when he sees his fathers car in front of their house.  The thought of running away passes his mind but it's gone faster than it came.

Jungkook expects having something thrown at him when walking in, or be shouted at, but instead the doors to the kitchen are closed and he can hear faint talking.

Relieved that his father is busy, he starts making his way up the stairs as quietly as possible. Yet Jungkook can't help but listen in on the conversation while he can. 

His father is a dangerous and complicated person, and Jungkook is well aware of his criminal record. He knows a lot about the man, and he hates that his "job" is leading a gang of psycho men, but it's still interesting.

Jungkook stops at the top of the stairs, trying to listen in a bit more.

"Would ..... him?...you know...t-....cop?"
"Fro-.........-ago?"
"Yea-....that.....stard"
".........wouldn't'........quit"
"Well......thing.......it..........be trouble"

Some words are cut but he can figure out theres a total of three people in the room, one of them being his father. It doesn't seem like anything interesting or anything Jungkook can make sense of so he walks back to his room. 

His phone starts ringing and he curses himself for not putting the device on silent. He takes the phone out of his pocket and realises it's a few minutes past 7.
Jungkook swallows hard, swiping the screen right to answer.

"Hello?" He moves away from the door so the chances of his father hearing him are smaller. 

"I almost didn't expect you to answer"

"I would in your place either"

"So, how was your day?"
Jungkook sits on his bed "It was okay...what about yours?"

He hears Taehyung sigh and Jungkook finds himself biting his lip "Hard to explain...complicated I guess"
"Oh...you should try going for a walk maybe, that usually helps me"

Jungkook can hear shuffling through the speaker "Hmm really?" The older asks "Sounds like a good idea. Where would you usually go for a walk to?"

Jungkook thinks for a moment "I don't have a specific place, but I enjoy going to the park..."

"What is it about the park that you like?"

"Oh uhm, there's a big pond there, I enjoy watching the water, especially when it's sunny" 

Taehyung stays silent for a bit too long for Jungkook's liking "Taehyung?"

"Ah sorry... I got distracted" he speaks up again "Jungkook-" he starts "How would you feel about meeting up some day?"

The younger is taken aback by the question, and thats when reality comes back to him "I'm sorry, I don't think that's a good idea..."

"No don't apologise! That's okay" Taehyung says "You know, I'm into photography"
This catches Jungkook's attention "Oh really?"
"Yeah, and I have to agree, water in sunlight can look hypnotising"

Jungkook smiles to himself "Do you work as a photographer?"

"No actually, it's more like a hobby, I picked something else to study, but I could say I sometimes wish I chose being a photographer"

"What is your job then?" 

"I'm a bartender"

Jungkook chuckles "You can study to be a bartender?"
Taehyung laughs in return "No I don't think so, I quit my job a while ago-"
"What was it that you studied?" Jungkook's curiosity gets the best of him.

Taehyung hesitates "Lets say, I studied law"
"You were a lawyer?"
"No, not really, it's hard to explain. But what would you like your job to be?"

"I never thought of that..."

"You're not going to college?" Taehyung sounds a bit shocked.

"Uhm, It's not my choice..."
  "What are you going to do then?"
"I'll probably work for my father"

The older pauses again, deciding to avoid that topic for now "Mhm, well at least you're set for the future"

                                      -----

"-and so she threw the heels at me" Taehyung sighs.

Jungkook can't help but laugh, a smile appearing on his face and he lost count of how many times Taehyung made him genuinely smile "And?"

"Welp, I've been single since then, women scare me" he chuckles "-or I probably scare them"

"But you're really handsome it can't be that hard to find yourself someone"

Taehyung forgets how to speak for a moment, before realising "And how would you know that I'm handsome?"

Jungkook wants to slap himself for the dumb mistake "I-I don't know... Your voice sounds attractive so I guess you are probably too" he mumbles.

Jungkook hears Taehyung laugh "I wouldn't say so, but thanks"

"I enjoyed talking to you, but I should probably go now"

"Yea" the older stars "don't go to sleep late"

Jungkook smiles at the words "Mhmm, you too"

 "I don't expect you to have an answer, but is there a chance we'll talk tomorrow?"

Jungkook bites his lip, maybe he could keep contact with Taehyung, for just a few days longer "Yeah... There is a chance"

"That's nice to hear, goodnight Jungkook, sleep well"

"Goodnight" and with that he pulls the phone away from his ear, staring down at the screen and he realises they've been talking for almost an hour.

His cheeks start to hurt and Jungkook can't believe he's been smiling for so long. He actually felt happy, thats something he hasn't felt in a while.

"But its selfish, I'm putting him in danger... I've to stop before it's too late"