Chapter 21.

My Helpline

Taehyung looks around the park as he walks down the wide path. It's eery in the dark, especially when walking alone, yet he likes it. Taehyung knows he reached the bridge when he catches the moons reflection disappear in the water. 

He looks up from the lake and at the bridge, a shadowed figure resting against the railing and looking down at the water. Even though he can't see them clearly in the dark, he knows who it is.

Taehyung's heart beat increases just the slightest as he gets closer 'what is he doing to me'

He stops three or four steps away from Jungkook, standing in silence for a moment.

"You wanted to talk" he says. His voice even shocking him at how low but quiet it is. 

Jungkook turns around and lets out a sigh of relief when he realizes it's Taehyung. It's a reassuring feeling that he gets, a feeling of safety he haven't felt in years. 

Taehyung gives a gentle smile and moves to stand beside him, joining him on admiring the water. He catches Jungkook glancing at his torso and then back down.
"It wasn't anything serious," Taehyung says, not wanting Jungkook to worry "the wound wasn't too deep"

Jungkook hangs his head down, once again sighing "I'm sorry" he mumbles, playing with the silver ring on his middle finger "This wouldn't have happened to you if not me"
Taehyung shakes his head "Don't apologize," he says, his voice louder "And don't blame yourself Jungkook"

'I can't do that' Jungkook brings his gaze up, looking around the dark. He called Taehyung to come and talk but he doesn't even know what to say. 'Someone threatened to kill you'? 'You've to leave Korea'? 
What is he supposed to tell him, knowing Taehyung, he'll try and catch that person. He doesn't want the older to risk his life all because of Jungkook's problems.

"You're selling your house" Taehyung speaks up, glancing at the younger.
Jungkook almost looks scared for a moment, but he avoids eye contact and answers with a "Mhm"

"Why?"

"Money... I don't need a huge house for myself anyway"
The older looks at him "And what will you do after you sell it?"
Jungkook stays silent. He doesn't know. Taehyung is really the only thing keeping him here.

"I don't know" his voice is just above a whisper, shakier than he expected. "I'm..... I'm scared"
Taehyung looks at the younger and the first thing that comes to his mind is 'what did he do to deserve this'
His eyes fall to Jungkook's hands, still fidgeting with the ring. He gently grabs the boy's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze and gaining one back from Jungkook after a moment.

Taehyung looks back down at the water "I was in a similar situation to yours... At least a bit"
Jungkook looks at him in question.
Taehyung continues "My father, he was your dad's boss" he mumbles "I first met your dad when I was eleven, my own father was already pushing me to be like him, I knew how to use an assault rifle by the age of sixteen"

Jungkook would say something, but he doesn't know what. He can't seem to form words even if he tries to.

"Maybe I didn't go trough what you had to, but I did some messed up things as a teenager, and I regret them"

"How did you end up where you are now?" Jungkook finally asks, keeping his voice low.

"My father was killed and I was arrested... Mr.Choi was just an officer at that time, but he gave me a chance and I took it, finished school and here I am"

"You should write a book about it" Jungkook says with a small smile.
Taehyung laughs "I wouldn't want to live through all that again"

Jungkook's smile fades, he has no other choice than to tell Taehyung what the problem is, he can't just disappear and leave Taehyung in danger. That would be selfish.

"Someone came by my house today" he starts. Taehyung turns more serious, listening to the boy beside him.

"Apparently some friend of my father, he threatened to kill both you and me" he mumbles "I don't want you to be in danger because of me again, I don't want you to get hurt, but I don't know what to do this time" 

Taehyung takes a firmer hold of Jungkook's hand "You never put me in danger, it was my choice" he whispers "We'll do something about this, I promise you nothing will happen to either of us"

Jungkook glances at their hands, Taehyung's much warmer than his own. He feels safer around him, maybe even calmer. 

"How about you move in with me?" Taehyung asks, trying to come up with the safest way to do everything "At least just for the time being, so I'll know you're safe"

Jungkook was about to refuse but he stops himself "But they'll be looking for me, what if someone follows me to your house?"
  "They'll try to find me anyways"
Jungkook pauses to think, he isn't sure which way is safer.

"Up until we catch that person, then you're free to move out"

The younger sighs "I don't know, are you sure about this?"

"I am" Taehyung gently rubs circles with his tumb on Jungkook's hand "Nothing bad will happen, please trust me for once"

Pushing all doubts and hesitation aside, Jungkook nods "Just until we catch him" he mumbles "I'll leave when it's over"
Taehyung squeezes his hand again, smiling.
Jungkook finally trusts him.